Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#43190 - 11/05/01 06:55 PM What about host families (share your experiences)
Michael Allen Offline

Loc: Oxford MS, USA
Would you guys share your experiences with your host families and wheter you had a positive or negative impressions of the experience? I am going to Valencia next January and am a little worried about my host family considering how I value my privacy and personal freedom. Anyone want to give me some pointers?

#43191 - 11/05/01 09:39 PM Re: What about host families (share your experiences)
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Michael, before I went to study in Salamanca I was terrified of what the host family would be like. Suffice it to say that I am very particular about living conditions, and I was beyond impressed. Obviously there are going to be good and bad experiences, but I definitely have heard way more good than bad. I had my own room because I requested it, but there were other students in my apartment too -- the best of both worlds. According to the program I studied with (AIFS), the host families had to provide you a key to the apartment and had to let you receive telephone calls. Whether or not you could make calls was at the family's discretion, since you are charged for all calls in Spain. I was allowed to make quick local calls only, and I tried very hard not to take advantage of that at all. My señora changed my sheets and took out my garbage, but other than that, no one ever came in my room. She suggested we leave our doors closed when we weren't home simply to emphasize our privacy. We were allowed to go in the kitchen and eat whatever we wanted, and also to watch TV whenever we wanted. Those things are also at the family's discretion, though. Basically my experience was nothing short of perfect, and I tried to repay my family by respecting them as well: turning off lights when I left the room, helping clean up after meals, not hogging the TV or phone. I hope this helps, but feel free to e-mail me if you have any more specific questions. You are going to love it!

#43192 - 11/06/01 12:57 PM Re: What about host families (share your experiences)
expressdance Offline

Loc: Boston, Ma USA
Yes, I too was apprehensive before my Spanish homestay. This past summer I lived with a Spanish family in Salamanca for the month of July. It was the best experience I've ever had. Staying with a family while you're abroad is the best way to learn the most about the laguage and family. I had no curfew, my own key, no limit to showering or anything else. My laundry was done for me once a week, and my sheets were washed regularly. I loved it so much that when I go back this coming January for my semester abroad in Sevilla, I've elected to stay with a family again.

#43193 - 11/08/01 12:20 AM Re: What about host families (share your experiences)
ilovemadrid Offline

Loc: Hawaii
I also had a positive experience living with a host family in Spain. They gave me a key, the mother did my laundry once a week, cleaned my room and bathroom, made great food, never let me help with dishes or anything, also she let me watch TV anytime, bring friends over and use the phone whenver I needed to. In return, I always was careful about turning off the lights when I left a room, letting them know when I was going out, insisted on helping with the dishes and said "gracias" a lot. They even allowed me to plug in a CD player that I bought at El Corte Inglés and my host brother said that I could go into his room and borrow his CDs (even though I ended up buying nearly 30 of my own). Also, when I arrived at home late, I tried not to make a lot of noise. They had dogs, and once you wake up the dogs, it's all over for you. It was hard once when I had been at a club and wanted to take a shower at 5 am, and instead of turning on the water full blast, I took a "drip shower" which took forever, but it accomplished my two goals: to get clean and to not wake anyone up. My parents also sent stuff from home for me to give to them in the middle of my stay (I had also brought some over when I arrived). In all, it was a great experience and I learned all kinds of household vocabulary, slang, cultural info, and always knew what was going on in town thanks to my host brother and sister. It was interesting during Semana Santa, for example (I lived in Sevilla), they make certain foods and so I got full explanations of the food and why it was prepared at that time. You learn all many things that wouldn't be possible if you didn't live with a family. Of course there are horror stories out there as well, and I could tell a few pretty bad things, but en fin....I'm sure that you will be fine and have a great time.

#43194 - 11/08/01 03:14 AM Re: What about host families (share your experiences)
supaJack Offline

Loc: Houghton, Mi, USA
If you end getting a beautiful older host sister, don't make out with her. It leads to bad things (even though the memories outwiegh the badness. Damn those girls know how to kiss... ahhhhhhh). maybe on second thought...

#43195 - 11/08/01 06:16 PM Re: What about host families (share your experiences)
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
My travel-study experience was interesting, as the "family" I stayed with turned out to be the three other students from other universities and one French kid staying with "Feli" our wonder dueña. The accomodations were nice, but Feli insisted that we didn't need to shower so much, regardless of whether we just came from the basketball court or the soccer field. We had already showered in the morning...what was all the fuss?!

I'm sure you won't have an experience like mine (gracias a Dios), but writing this post has been therapeutic for me in my healing process...

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#43196 - 11/14/01 10:45 AM Re: What about host families (share your experiences)
caminante Offline

Loc: New York City
Many families in Sevilla see it more like a business when they host students. I spent a month with a family that lived far away from the center "en el quinto pino". They were nice people, but I did not feel at all warmly received. From talking to other students, it seemed that good families were the exception and not the rule. A friend of mine was not allowed to sit on the living room sofa in the place she was staying and was confined to her room except for meals. The best thing I did on that visit and my next one was to find an apartment share with Spainards. Most of my friends that did the same had great experiences as well. It was a housing option that my study abroad program didn't really mention.

#43197 - 11/14/01 09:40 PM Re: What about host families (share your experiences)
filiberto Offline

Loc: Louisville, KY, USA
I have had two experiences with host families, and although nothing in this life is perfect, I would recommend it. First of all, most of the families do see this as a business, and they must register with the school, meet the school's standards, and please the students so that they will stay in the school's good graces. If you end up in an unpleasant situation, change families. I will echo other responses, it is a great way to experience the culture and language up close, and most of the people are great.

#43198 - 11/14/01 11:12 PM Re: What about host families (share your experiences)
expressdance Offline

Loc: Boston, Ma USA
I agree, the best thing to do if you get a family you don't like is to switch. I have to disagree with what someone previously said about good families being the exception rather than the rule. I wouldn't go that far. I know a lot of people who have had good experiences with families, and I know a few people (to a much lesser degree) who have had bad experiences. You kind of just have to take your chances, as with everything else in this world.

#43199 - 11/15/01 03:19 AM Re: What about host families (share your experiences)
Michael Allen Offline

Loc: Oxford MS, USA
Hey everyone, thanks for your inputs. Keep them coming! wink

I am beginning to think of a possible correlation between the percentage of good host families and the size of the international student population. Could it be in cities like Salamanca where there are many international students that many people have the opportunity to be host families and therefore some only do it for the money.

I do have some reason to be optimistic about my prospects. First, I am going with the UVA program which interviews the families first, so they obviously try to keep students from having bad experiences. Also, the program is known for being a good program, so that is also promising. Finally I believe that Valencia isn't as much of an international student center as some places in spain like Sevilla and Salamanca. This is all optimistic conjecture, of course, but doesn't it sound like I'll have a good chance of getting a good family. Also, I'll be living with another international student. If I get a bad family, I'll at least be able to get a second opinion on the matter.

Should I get them a gift before I go? My college town of Oxford MS is a sort of center for Southern culture with a prolific writing and art community. I was thinking of giving them some sort of print based on a local theme. Sound good?

However, I will pay for my entire room and board before I go, so I doubt I'll be able to get it back if I decide I don't want to live there. Besides, how can I "break up" with my host family. Was it hard for those of you who did it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments