Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4289 - 06/10/02 08:48 AM Liverpool Airport (somewhere near to stay?)
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
I am flying to Madrid from Liverpool, John Lennon, Airport next month.

It is proving impossible for me to find a way of getting to the airport on time, without the huge expense of taking a taxi all the way from Holmfirth in the morning.

The train is a non-starter, and anyway, if there were leaves on the line or something, it might not get me there. rolleyes

Bus is no good - would take me about 23 to get from here to there.

So, I have come to the conclusion that I might have to get a lift over the night before and spend the night somewhere very near to the airport. Either somewhere within walking distance (!?), or somewhere where I can catch a bus.

Anyone know of anywhere? I know it's a long shot . . . but . . .

Thanks.

Jo

#4290 - 06/10/02 01:48 PM Re: Liverpool Airport (somewhere near to stay?)
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Is the airport open all night? I don't mind sitting it out overnight. As long as I don't get swept away by the cleaners imagining I am an untidy pile of something.

It's years since I've stayed overnight in an airport. It probably isn't allowed now is it? frown

?????
Jo

#4291 - 06/10/02 06:00 PM Re: Liverpool Airport (somewhere near to stay?)
miche_dup1 Offline

Hi Jo,

I think staying overnight might be the best solution, i've heard people do it in Luton I think Antonio said he does it often for the really early flights. Haven't done it myself,

Could someone who has done this please tell us if it's ok and can get a decent sleep?
Antonio perhaps?
Good luck Jo

#4292 - 06/11/02 03:28 AM Re: Liverpool Airport (somewhere near to stay?)
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Thanks miche!

Antonio got back to me and provided me with the following useful website www.sleepinginairports.net (no don't laugh, it's not one of CaliBasco's ones!).

Unfortunately Liverpool, Speke, John Lennon airport doesn't feature.

Having spoken to a couple of people it seems that sleeping actually at this airport isn't a good idea this time. So I'll have to think again.

Oh, how I wish I had a jet pack.

Jo

#4293 - 06/11/02 10:15 AM Re: Liverpool Airport (somewhere near to stay?)
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
That site is hilarious!!! Whoever maintains it has a wicked sense of humor. I didn't realize there were packs of travelers roaming around searching for the best airports to sleep in. I once slept in Dallas-Fort Worth airport and swore I would never do it again (though if you ever try it, make friends with a concession stand worker who will let you "check out" magazines and books over night!).

I notice Barajas gets negative "reviews" almost across the board as a place to sleep.

#4294 - 06/11/02 04:00 PM Re: Liverpool Airport (somewhere near to stay?)
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
I don't often sleep at airports!!! frown I just did it once. It was at Luton airport. The first bus from Bath to London didn't arrive on time to catch my easyJet flight so I had to arrive there the night before.

I wouldn't recommend it since seats at airports are most of the times designed so that you can't rest in them (at least, not laying).

Also, I wouldn't sleep leaving my luggage unattended (though some of the people who also slept at Luton that night didn't care about that).

#4295 - 06/12/02 02:40 AM Re: Liverpool Airport (somewhere near to stay?)
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Oh, sorry Antonio

I thought you were the author of the website! wink And there was me imagining you asleep on the only bit of carpeted floor, cadging left over food from Burger King! (Amongst all the other wild and wacky things)

Latest! Latest! - Hostal Chelo full! Proprietor sending customers via new lift and metro connection to Barajas airport, where they will find all the facilities they need. Shared bathroom, but sorry, no balcony!

Jo

#4296 - 06/13/02 07:11 AM Re: Liverpool Airport (somewhere near to stay?)
Sonia Offline

Loc: Liverpool
Hi Jo-Anne.

Here's my almost definitive guide to finding accommodation in Liverpool:

If you want to bed down at an airport in style, you could spend a night at the OLD Liverpool Airport. This is an original art deco building that has been recently refurbished by the Marriott Hotel group. It is close to the LJL airport on the outskirts of Liverpool, and I'd love to stay there myself (even though I only live nearby!) They also have a hotel in the city centre, opposite Lime Street station and close to Norton St bus station, but they're really expensive - about £90 a night - tel: 0151 476 8000.

A cheaper option would be the infamous Britannia Adelphi at about £30 night (goes up to about £80 at weekend) - tel: 0151 709 7200. There are some cheap, new hotels that have opened up near to the Albert Dock, and I think the cheapest is the Camponile - tel: 0151 709 8104. Or you could try the youth hostel at the Albert Dock at £18.50 b&b, but you will also have to join the YHA - tel: 0870 770 5924.

There are also some nice hotels overlooking Sefton Park which are relatively cheap that you can get to by bus or taxi: The Alicia (0151 727 4411) or The Solna (0151 734 3398) for example, both for about £45 per night. For more information you could also try the tourist information's accommodation booking service - tel: 0845 601 1125.

There's nowhere in particular I'd recommend, probably the Sefton Park hotels because they're in a quieter area and overlooking the park.

There are a number of local bus services that run directly to the airport now, including the 80A and the 82A, which both go from the city centre and also go via Sefton Park, but check the timetable because I don't know how early they start running - actually, I've even got the number for the Merseytravel information line - tel: 0151 236 7676.

Hope you manage to work something out!

Sonia

#4297 - 06/13/02 09:33 AM Re: Liverpool Airport (somewhere near to stay?)
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Wow! Thanks Sonia for all that info! I think I am going to take the train option, but it's really helpful to have all this at my fingertips incase I change my mind, or decide to do something different next time. smile

Should you need any information on the throbbing metropolis of Holmfirth, don't hesitate to contact me! rolleyes

Thanks again, much appreciated.

JO

#4298 - 06/13/02 11:31 AM Re: Liverpool Airport (somewhere near to stay?)
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
the sleeping in airports site is hysterical! laugh eek laugh eek

#4299 - 06/14/02 05:31 PM Re: Liverpool Airport (somewhere near to stay?)
Sonia Offline

Loc: Liverpool
Thanks Jo-Anne. I feel a bit guilty now, because I was supposed to be working - but then my job sometimes involves booking hotel rooms for the great and the good and lamenting the fact there isn't much available that's cheap yet salubrious in Liverpool, so I'm going to tell my boss I was undertaking "research".

I can't say anything about sleeping in the NEW Liverpool Airport, all I know and care about the LJL is that it is the departure point for all the cheap easyjet flights to Spain and is just a short bus ride from my flat. The other thing I know about the LJL is that the bus you need to catch to get there is NOT the same bus you need to catch to get to the supermarket - but when will I ever learn? I've been there twice this month already, and I'm not flying out until August...

I was actually near your throbbing metropolis only the other week, to see my sister who now lives in Denholme. We visited the antiques shops in Haworth, and I heard there was a "turn" on at The Royal.

(Do you think the Tourist Board will give us both a job for the shameless cheek of promoting the hotspots of Britain on a site dedicated to the hotspots of Spain?)

Sonia

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments