Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#42816 - 08/11/00 04:14 PM colegios mayores (Madrid)
jdonlanl Offline

Loc: Lincoln, NE USA
I am leaving for UCM in less than 3 weeks. As of right now I have no idea where I am going to live. I filled out a student housing form months ago and I have not heard anything. Is this normal? What will I do when I get there? Can anyone tell me about the "colegios mayores"? Will I need my own sheets, pillows, blankets.....? Ayudame por favor

Jenny
one confused and nervous student

#42817 - 08/11/00 05:17 PM Re: colegios mayores (Madrid)
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Okay, I don't know that much about this topic but let me see if I can think of something. First, could you call the people that you sent the form and ask them what is going on? They should have answered already. When I went to UCM my friends that stayed in colegio mayores were not very happy, but maybe things have change. You can rent a room, it is cheap and if you don't like it you can leave. I suppose you speak spanish so go to http://www.segundamano.com and you will find tons of places. I cannot think about anything else right now.
Buena suerte

#42818 - 08/11/00 08:39 PM Re: colegios mayores (Madrid)
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Hi jdonlanl,

Colegios Mayores are quite expensive in Spain. The best choice will be to share a flat with other students in Madrid. Segundamano is the best source to look for flats.

Also, the international department at the UCM should help you with accommodation. Sometimes universities even have a list of flats available to rent for students.

Good luck,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#42819 - 08/14/00 12:49 PM Re: colegios mayores (Madrid)
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
I really hope you find out something before you leave. Let me just tell you twhat I know.
I stayed in a Colegio Mayor. The one I stayed in provided the sheets and pillows as well as towels. I'm sure many of them are this way. But the bad thing was is that many of them were not air conditioned.
Some of the students did find cheap housing closer in town, and a few even stayed in hotels.
I'm sure you'll be able to find some type of housing. Good luck.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments