Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#42808 - 07/23/00 04:40 AM spanish courses
ilanit Offline

Loc: Tel Aviv, Israel
I paln to come to spain by the end of september. I want to learn spanish, but haven't decided yet where. I'll be happy to hear about a good language school in Madrid or other city. Thanks, Ilanit.

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 07-23-2000).]

#42809 - 07/23/00 07:54 AM Re: spanish courses
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
If you are really interested in learning the language, I recommend Academia ISLA in Salamanca (a great small city to live in). They are on the web. My son stayed with a family: Angeles Pedro (ask for this family) and it worked out great. Madrid, of course, is a more lively place if it is LIVELY you are after. I'd just take cursos para extranjeros in the Complutense Univ. in Madrid (cheap, if not really small classes geared toward speaking) and hang and LEARN. Best way to learn is live in a place where people speak Spanish (family, pension, etc).

rgf

#42810 - 07/23/00 09:14 AM Re: spanish courses
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi ilanit! Studying Spanish in Spain's autumn is a wonderful time to go!! Good choice! rgf has given you some excellent suggestions.

You might also consider the ¿? don Quijote language schools in Madrid and around Spain. See their banner advertisement on my FRONT PAGE of my website (pretty please?). There are several and they have a great reputation for teaching Spanish, especially to English speakers like yourself.

Also, =elemadrid= has a long-standing tradition of excellence in Madrid for teaching Spanish. They're in a great location right on/near the Plaza de Cibeles, across from Banco de España.

As rgf mentioned, Universidad Complutense Madrid is one of the best universities in Spain (or at least in Madrid) and they're oh-so-cheap even for foreigners! I considered doing this once myself years ago.

Best of luck and have a wonderful time in Madrid or other place in Spain this autumn!

Saludos, MadridMan

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 07-23-2000).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#42811 - 07/24/00 05:22 AM Re: spanish courses
ilanit Offline

Thanks about your detailed and quick reply.

#42812 - 07/24/00 05:47 AM Re: spanish courses
ilanit Offline

Hi rgf,

Thanks again for your answer.
You've written that your son has been learning in Salamanca.
How much time did he learn? can he speak spanish now?
I'll be happy to hear from you,
Ilanit.

#42813 - 07/24/00 08:15 AM Re: spanish courses
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Hi Ilanit. My son grew up hearing Spanish and has already taken courses at the Univ of Salamanca and at the UIMP in Santander, so he was pretty fluent to start with. But in Salamanca they really worked in small groups and they emphasize language aquisition at ISLA (as opposed to culture, history, only grammar, etc.). Depending on your knowledge of the language, you could expect to become reasonably fluent after one month of really intensive study and practice, or two months semi intensive. There is a threshold point where all of a sudden you start speaking and understanding in a great leap. That often happens after about a month of intensive work. SO don't short yourself on time. Suerte. rgf

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 800 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments