Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#42751 - 08/02/08 06:49 PM Visa Requirements for Re Entry Spain
M Earles Offline

Loc: USA
Hello everyone can anyone help me. I obtained my residency permit, and I wish to travel to the US. However, want to know if I still need to obtain a visa stamp in my US passport? This will be the first time returning to the US 2008 since I receiving my permission of residency 2006. Is this card all I need at the airport in the US when I board the plane to return to Spain? Will the US require a stamp in my passport, if so how long can this take and where do I go here in Madrid? I really need some feed back on this because I need some piece of mind, I am married to a Spaniard and have responsibilities here not to get tie in to bureaucracies at the flight counter for my return.
Thanks in advance for your help,
ME

#42752 - 08/03/08 03:46 AM Re: Visa Requirements for Re Entry Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Welcome back, M Earles! Wow! This is your second posting since you joined our message board nearly 4.5 years ago!

I think I can help you since we seem to have somewhat similar situations.

Since you have your residency you then no doubt have your residency card, the plastic laminated ID for foreigners, correct? Probably, if you've been here living here (?) for 2 years already.

I've been back to the USA once a year since moving here at the very tail end of 2005 and I've never showed my Foreign Residency Card - and they won't ask for it either. Just show them (on the USA and the Spain side) your US passport and that's that.

Or, by "residency permit" do you mean a kind of cardboard piece of paper that they staple to a sheet in your USA Passport? If so, I don't know anything about that. Never had one of those.

The only scenario I can imagine that might be questionable might be when you go through US Customs and they might start asking questions like, "Where were you visiting?" and "How long were you there?" If you say, "I live in Spain," they may then ask, "Okay. Where is your residency permit?" I'm not sure what you would do. Have you EVER had one of those residency permit papers stapled to the inside of your US passport?? I never have.

I think as far as the US Customs/Airlines are concerned, you - a US Passport Carrying US Citizen - are going to Spain as a tourist.

And going through Madrid Barajas Airport - nor US Customs - has any agent looked for the previous stamp, done some quick date calculations and said, "Hey, you've been in Spain for the past 9 months! Where's your visa?"

You mean you've been in Spain all this time (in Madrid, no less!) and haven't attended a single MadridMan gathering??? eek Oh well, maybe you're like me and prefer an ALL SPANISH experience while living here. Now, don't tell me you frequent your local Irish Pub. rolleyes

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#42753 - 08/03/08 07:26 AM Re: Visa Requirements for Re Entry Spain
M Earles Offline

Hello and Thank you Madrid Man, I owe you a cana or two! I want to be more specific, your quote (The only scenario I can imagine that might be questionable might be when you go through US Customs and they might start asking questions like, "Where were you visiting?" and "How long were you there?" If you say, "I live in Spain," they may then ask, "Okay. Where is your residency permit?" I'm not sure what you would do. Have you EVER had one of those residency permit papers stapled to the inside of your US passport?? I never have.) This is the scenario I refer to because I have stayed in EU for the duration of my time here, primary in Spain, Madrid. Therefore, I know I can step into my home country no problem, but if asked am I on holiday, it could be said geez that holiday looks like permenate living? And if I have to whip out my plastic NIE card then what? I keep getting different info. such as, as extended beyond visit, holiday, you do need a stamp in the passport with a date, however, I have a date on my residency card til 2011 expiration. So what's a girl to do? Anyway, I just don't want to risk a an extended stay in the US after visiting then have to wait on this stamp in my passport by Spain if needed? This is my worry. I need to take advantage of low cost flight fees.. Also I know I might also be prompted by US to purchase a return flight on my exit back to Spain from US. This is another scenario I wouldn't wish to happen. SO if anyone can shed some light it would be great. Name the bar and the gathering and I will come and meet you.
Grascias,
ME

#42754 - 08/03/08 09:49 AM Re: Visa Requirements for Re Entry Spain
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
If you have a Spanish residency card and an American passport then that's all you need to come and go between the US and Spain to your heart's content (though if you pass too much time in the US, you could conceivably lose your residency). It's good to always get stamped, but it won't affect whether you can leave or enter. I've been asked several times over the years to show my residency card when traveling back and forth. The visa in your passport is intended to be temporary. Residency supercedes this.

#42755 - 08/03/08 11:09 AM Re: Visa Requirements for Re Entry Spain
M Earles Offline

Ok I feel much better. Final question does it matter how long a resident in Spain and staying in Spain between my returns to my home county US? In my case more than 3years. Well I hope you take me up on the canas, would be lots of fun exchanging stories.
THANKS!

#42756 - 08/03/08 01:04 PM Re: Visa Requirements for Re Entry Spain
Executive Member

I'm not sure I understand your question... If you are a US citizen and travel with a US passport, it doesn't matter how long you live in another country. You always have the right to come and go from the US as you please. If you become a Spanish citizen, that would be different... but foreign residency doesn't affect your US citizenship in any way.

#42757 - 08/03/08 03:23 PM Re: Visa Requirements for Re Entry Spain
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I'm pretty sure that as a Us citizen you have the "right" to be in Spain for 3 months .. Then your visa expires . But I know guys that have been here for 2 years without renewal of the visa . Madridmadridmadrid If your an EU ( European citizen ) like me THEN you have no worries . However if M Earles has a Spanish residency ID then (s)he should be fine ( ? )

#42758 - 08/03/08 04:55 PM Re: Visa Requirements for Re Entry Spain
M Earles Offline

Thanks Madrid Man you have fully answered my concerns. Thanks to you and all!
Next outing don't forget to invite me.
Saludos

#42759 - 08/03/08 07:17 PM Re: Visa Requirements for Re Entry Spain
Executive Member

steve robinson--If I understand correctly, the original poster is a US citizen with Spanish residency. If that's the case, then she/he can come and go at will (but is required to reside in Spain in order to keep the Spanish residency). No amount of time spent outside of the US affects your ability to enter and leave the US at will.

#42760 - 08/04/08 02:28 AM Re: Visa Requirements for Re Entry Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
M Earles wrote:
Quote:
Next outing don't forget to invite me.
The gathering are always by OPEN INVITATION so be sure to check the "Classifieds & Personals" from time to time for information on the next one. Hope you can make it someday!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments