Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#42743 - 05/23/08 12:33 PM Gestoria for Car Registration
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I was wondering if anyone can recomend an English speaking gestoria who can help with the registration of a vehicle?

In my case it's a German plated car that needs Spanish plates before I'll be allowed to drive it in Spain. It was impounded last week. My luck ran out. But it's been almost 2 years so I can't complain.

I have the name of a Spanish speaking gestoria but I'd prefer someone who speaks a bit of English

Thanks

#42744 - 05/24/08 03:42 AM Re: Gestoria for Car Registration
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
THM, I can't recommend a gestoria, but I have been through the whole process with a UK registered motorcycle.

It is extremely slow and time consuming, so while you search for a gestoria I would recommend taking the first step yourself.

You will need to get an ITV for the vehicle, not sure how you will do this if it has been impounded mind you. Before you can get an ITV, you need to get the cars specifications from the manufacturer, the Spanish call it a ficha tecnica. So I would contact the manufacturer in Spain, as request one. A friend who brought in a Mercedes had quite a wait, in my case Yamaha needed a month. With this you can then try and get an ITV, and once you have that the whole admin process of paying import duties etc can start, which is where the gestoria will be useful.

Aren't you glad the EU single market has simplified these things so much !

#42745 - 05/25/08 05:07 PM Re: Gestoria for Car Registration
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Yeah exactly. Actually the car came with the technical specs so on that I'm safe. I've had a friend do it both ways, on his own, 5 trips from Torolandoes to Gafe ouch! Second time he got smart and simply paid a gestoria to do it.

He recommended his gestoria if nothing else.

I'm lucky in one regard, the cars simply sitting at the police station not in an impound yard, while I can't drive it :o at least it's not accruing impound fees.

#84454 - 05/23/09 12:22 PM Re: Gestoria for Car Registration [Re: Rob in Madrid]
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Update: should have posted this a while ago but I finally have the car out of impound and back on the street and I never ever ever again want to experience Spanish bureaucracy again! (unlikely as I live here permanently) I will never complain about German bureaucracy again (heavy but efficient)

The long and the short of it is no one and no one can ever give you a clear answer of what you need. Everywhere you go you get a different answer. The law is very fluid here.

I was about to give up and haul the car back to Germany to sell when we found out a via a friend about a Gestoria who imports cars from Germany. Once he got involved I found out the process to be very simple. I gave him the ownership papers and came back a few days latter with Green number plates allowing me to drive for 60 days. I collected the car from the police took it to the Getafe Itv (important as they deal with imports all the time, your regular Itv has no idea what to do) had an inspection done and in about 2 weeks I had Spanish plates!!!!

The key to getting anything done is Spain is to hire a Gestoria, they have the contacts to grease the bureaucracy.

Now if I can only find someone who can help us change our address on our NIE!!!!!!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments