Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#42729 - 01/04/08 08:16 AM 2 professionals need help finding info on jobs in spain
purehope Offline

hello everyone my name is mike i am currently living in london and i am moving to spain with a friend of mine we both play pro basketball and have had trouble getting job playing so we want to move to spain work and then go from there i have an italian passport so i know i can work we need to know the easiest way to get a job in spain also does anyone know anything about military bases from us that we could get jobs at thanks for the help hope to hear from you soon

#42730 - 01/04/08 08:49 AM Re: 2 professionals need help finding info on jobs in spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hello purehope! And welcome to our ALL SPAIN Message Board!!

Spain has LOTS of professional basketball teams so if you're good I would imagine you might get work with one of them. Their office would likely arrange the forms for you to work in Spain.

Apart from playing basketball there's little which is easy about getting work in Spain - unless you're willing to work for less than the booming population of illegal immigrants.

Jobs on US military bases, US embassies and consulates in Spain are very very difficult to get. You have to first be eligible to apply for a job, then take a test, etcetera. Plus it can take a long time.

If you have an Italian passport and are an Italian citizen you'll have less difficulty getting legal work but, as you might know, salaries here in Spain are LOW LOW LOW. If you're fluent in Spanish, MUCH MUCH better for you. If not, that'll be very very tough. The Italian community here in Madrid (assuming you speak Italian) might be able to give you some pointers too. No doubt such a community exists.

Best of luck!! Saludos, MadridMan xfingers

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#42731 - 01/04/08 01:39 PM Re: 2 professionals need help finding info on jobs in spain
purehope Offline

thanks for the info do you have any info on valencia because i have agent i know and it seems to be a little lower in living expenses thanks for the help and answers ps. i have a degree from purdue university with lots of experience where could i look to get job that includes speaking english in madrid or valencia thanks for the help

#42732 - 01/04/08 02:50 PM Re: 2 professionals need help finding info on jobs in spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
(Almost) No matter where you might need English you'll ALSO need Spanish in non-professional-sports-related jobs. If you have BOTH languages you've improved your chances greatly.

If you have a (basketball) agent then (s)he will surely be able to negotiate/find basketball jobs for you but agents can't get you non-sports-related jobs, I doubt.

Try websites like http://www.Monster.es for jobs in Spain.

Good luck! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#42733 - 01/11/08 06:24 AM Re: 2 professionals need help finding info on jobs in spain
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Mike ( Purehope ) ,
this may be a bit late but I only just saw your post re-playing pro basketball here in Spain . As MM said , Basketball is huge here .. practically a religion next to football and Catholicism ... Though i'm not a fan myself I wonder whether you may want to contact an ex-pat group here in Madrid that play basketball. You'd be way above their league in terms of ability I assume but they may have some ideas about who you could contact . They advertise in English language magazines here: "Madrid Basketball Practice - We practice basketball once a week . Get fit , meet new friends and have fun." Contact Rob on (00 34) 697 345 613. "The Barrio Trotters" website is www.madridbasketball.com .

They also have e-mail : madridbasketball@googlemail.com

Good luck .. Steve

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments