Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#42694 - 08/22/07 06:37 PM Careers in demand?
ceb Offline

Loc: USA
What careers are in demand at the moment in Spain? Is there a huge need for IT, and/or Autocad Experts in Spain?

#42695 - 08/23/07 03:34 AM Re: Careers in demand?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
While I don't personally know, you can probably get a good idea through the job search website http://www.monster.es/ . It's my impression, however, that the need is no longer in technology here in Spain. The small boom they had a few years ago encouraged lots of college students to study Informática only to leave university with no/few jobs available. But of course, if you leave University at the top of your class then you have more opportunities throughout Europe.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#42696 - 08/23/07 11:08 AM Re: Careers in demand?
Valenciano_en_Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Majadahonda (Madrid)
I am sorry to say that there are too many Spanish young graduates in IT and Autocad but at least you have a very important advantage over them, you are a native English speaker. We Spanish people are not very skillful in languages.
I agree with MM that IT experts are not needed now as a few years ago when bell companies were developing new ADSL networks fastly. Specially after the many takeovers and merges in this sector of the industry.
ADSL and other broadband services like point to point fiber optics links, virtual networks, Voice over IP, and more are available to people and companies.
I suggest you to send your CV to the main IT companies like "Alcatel-Lucent", Siemens, Ericcsson, etc.
In any case Spanish salaries are very low, unless you have an expertise on some specific issue, or you are a manager.

Good luck.

#42697 - 08/23/07 12:11 PM Re: Careers in demand?
ceb Offline

Thanks MadridMan and Valenciano_en_Madrid. My husband has worked in IT (so have I), and is interested in getting certified in AutoCad. My personal plans would be to eventually open some type of business, such as a spa of some sort. I wonder what regulations Spain has for this type of business...because in the US I decided against it.

#42698 - 08/23/07 04:34 PM Re: Careers in demand?
jabch Offline

Hi! Ceb, it seems to me that the Spanish economy is highly dependant on tourism, construction, and the production of traditional foods and wines.

As to the Spa business, I think they are mostly regulated by local governments. So it may be a good idea to first decide where you want to establish your business and go from there.

Also, and I do not know what kind of investment you have in mind, but the spa's I have seen on tv are absolutely beautiful, even the small ones. So it seems like a very competitive market.

Every time I watch shows like "Desde Galicia para el Mundo" or "Asturias, Paraiso Natural" they feature local businesses, and I hear the same story…”We inherited this big old house from la abuela, and in partnership with some "friends", we invested X number of millions to turn it into a Spa...Our Spa offers all of the benefits of the native plants and mineral waters, as certified by our local council, as well as some of the finest local cuisine.” Have you noticed the same?

Check out this website http://www.balnearios.org/

ceb, I just read on the other message you posted that your mom is planning on taking the Spanish citizenship. Have you heard the good news? Next year comes into effect a law that will allow you (the grandchild) to take the citizenship too. However, your mom has to take the citizenship first...I do not know if your husband is Spanish, but now you have another option to become Spaniard. If your husband is not Spanish, he will be allowed to become a legal resident. But you have to wait until 2008. Good luck!

#42699 - 08/23/07 06:30 PM Re: Careers in demand?
ceb Offline

¡Jabch que noticia mas buena! I had heard "rumors" that this would eventually happen. Do you know exactly when in 2008? No my husband is not Spanish. I know for my mother it's pretty straight forward to get her citizenship/passport without leaving the US. Will it be this easy for me, or will I have to spend some time in Spain first?

jabch I got so happy over your last message that I forgot to comment on what you wrote about Spanish spas. Those that already have a property of their very own are a big step ahead. I would need to rent some space in the beginning and making the place look nice/well suited would be essential. And if things go well, at some point I would like to actually purchase a place for this venture. It would be more geared for facial treatments and the selling of products I have for various skin conditions.

jabch...it's a great site you posted: http://www.balnearios.org/

Those bath spas are absolutely beautiful! I am looking at one in Galicia now laugh . This will definitely give me more ideas, mil gracias.

#42700 - 08/23/07 07:49 PM Re: Careers in demand?
jabch Offline

You are welcome ceb. The citizenship for the grandchildren is a huge achievement. This is something that the Spanish immigrants, their children and grandchildren have been fighting for a long time. We should be especially thankful with the grandchildren group from Argentina. They worked the most.

As far as the law, it is already in writing and has been approved by "El Consejo de Ministros". To make it pass faster, they attached it to the International Adoption Law. It has nothing to do with that, but that was the only way to get it passed in the coming legislature. So it has been scheduled to be heard by the Cortes Generales this end of the year. There is consensus among the major parties to pass the law. As this was a promise campaign by Zapatero, and the rest of the parties consider it a debt long due to those Spanish immigrants that supported their home towns for decades, especially during the 60's and 70's. In any case, the President, the Vice-president, and the most important political leaders have publicly said they will pass the law by the end of the year as it is actually written. The only problem with the law is that it includes a provision giving the Ministry of Exterior one year to implement the law in all consulates around the world (they want to be ready for a massive number of applications). The group Nietos por la Ciudadania, is working to have the waiting time reduced, but the truth is the time to make amendments to the law before it goes to the Cortes Generales has expired. So more likely you will be able to register with the Spanish consulate around November of 2008. It could be a little sooner, but no much later. So keep an eye on the Spanish news. I am glad you will benefit from the law, especially if you want to move to Spain.

#42701 - 08/24/07 02:23 AM Re: Careers in demand?
ceb Offline

My family and I thank you for taking the time to reply with such an informative post. And I do remember visiting a site where the grandchildren group from Argentina were fighting hard for this right to be able to have Spanish citizenship; especially, due to their fellow countrymen/women of Italian descent using their second passports to live in Spain while those of Spanish ancestry were not as fortunate. I got the site address from this forum a long time ago...most likely you posted it. I can imagine the consulates in Latin America expecting a huge amount of applications...more so than those in the US. And after the processing of applications comes handling of new passports all done out of Spain. I can see why consulates will be given some time to prepare after the law is officially on the books.

One thing I forgot to ask is if renouncing a US passport still part of the process of becoming a Spanish citizen?

#42702 - 08/24/07 05:02 PM Re: Careers in demand?
jabch Offline

I think the Spanish "oath" includes renouncing any other citizenship you may have, except for those born in Latin America and other former Spanish colonies.

However, it would very difficult for you to lose your U.S. citizenship. Unless you formally renounce it at any American consulate abroad. It is funny, but this is one of those deals, where the less you know about this subject the better.

This is because, in order to make their case against you, the government has to prove you had full awareness of the consequences of renouncing your U.S. citizenship, which is very difficult to prove. Especially, when you are taking your mom's citizenship only to work and live in her country, not to really quit your U.S. citizenship.

#42703 - 08/24/07 10:32 PM Re: Careers in demand?
ceb Offline

Jabch, I was told by someone today that the process for the grandchildren to acquire Spanish citizenship in 2008 may be as uncomplicated as it currently is for the sons/daughters of Spaniards.

I know for my mother the following is required:

Certificado Literal de Nacimiento del padre/s español/es

Cert. de Martimonio de los Padres

Doc. actual pasaporte del padre/s o cert. de defunción

Doc. que acredita la nacionalidad española del padre al momento de nacer el interesado...

Cert. de Nacimiento del interesado

Pasaporte actual del interesado

Carta del interesado especificando los motivos por los que quiere solicitar la nacionalidad española.

Once the above is presented in person (which my mother will do soon), she's been told that receiving the passport won't take long thereafter.

And gotcha on the citizenship issue with my case wink , because my intention would be to take care of my mother too, as she will struggle on her own. Hombre, she just wants to live her last days in Spain...and who can blame her laugh .

#42704 - 08/29/07 06:17 PM Re: Careers in demand?
jabch Offline

ceb, I would wait until they publish the actual requirements. Many consulates require recently issued documents. For example, a birth certificate issued no more than one year ago. So it is better to wait for a while.

#42705 - 08/29/07 11:11 PM Re: Careers in demand?
ceb Offline

Yes the requirements will clarify things...it shouldn't be too long before the grandchildren will know where they stand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments