Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#42686 - 08/09/07 06:42 AM Madrid - Job Prospects
Jeananne10 Offline

Loc: Madrid
Dear All
Firstly, Im new to the board and this is my first post. Im a 25 year old Irish female, living and working in the UK for the past 3 years.
Im looking to move to Madrid sometime between November and February with my Other Half. I lived in Alicante a few years ago and taught English privately to children in their own homes. I would ideally like to continue teaching but find it much easier on a one to one basis. Is it realistic to think I will be able to earn a living (first few months supplemented by savings) doing this again? I currently work as a Marketing Coordinator in a large law firm in England and have plenty of skills (although my Spanish is only at conversational level) such as extensive experience using many different up to date computer packages, almost a year working in Events organisation, 3 years as legal secretary and Im TEFL certified. I am also almost qualified as a proof reader. I have also spent quite a lot of time taking care of children and spent a year in New York as an au pair. Im looking for advice from those of you already living in Madrid and what type of work is available. Im happy to take a job anywhere to begin with - perhaps until my Spanish improves. What do you think? I would also like to live in the outskirts of the city as I enjoy spending my time at home outdoors in the garden. Can you please recommend some areas within 1 hrs distance to the centre.
Many thanks in advance
Jean

#42687 - 08/10/07 01:58 PM Re: Madrid - Job Prospects
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
Hi Jean,
With TEFL experience and a knowledge of Spanish (keep taking lessons) you should find it relatively easy to get work. I would recommend giving company classes, as these are often small or individual classes. If you look at madridlistings and select on the lhs work and residency, followed by English teacher agencies, you will have a good list to attack (be warned that 1 or 2 may be out of date). Madrid is the best place to get well-paid work in the TEFL market in Spain. As for where to live, I would suggest the north of the city eg Barrio del Pilar or Hortaleza areas as most company classes will be in northern Madrid or places just outside (such as Alcobendas). Good Luck!
PS Take some warm clothes for the winter season. It's a lot colder than Alicante then.

#42688 - 08/23/07 11:40 AM Re: Madrid - Job Prospects
Valenciano_en_Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Majadahonda (Madrid)
Hello Jean,

There is a huge demand on English teachers here. Native English teachers are pretty much needed at primary schools, language schools and companies. In many cases the English teachers are from countries like Bulgaria, Germany or France.
A friend of mine from Cork, a 41 y.o. lawyer, was an English teacher in Madrid. He went back to Ireland early this year because according to him you cannot expect to get a proper house and raise a family with 10 euros per hour. He used to say "I don't work for peanuts". He said he was going to live in the beautyful and lively city of Dublin because after living in Madrid he finds Cork too booring.

Anyway try to find something here:
http://www.in-madrid.com/default2.htm
http://www.irlandaenred.com/content/tablon/8/profesores-de-idiomas

To live here I would recommend you Villalba and Escorial areas because are beautyful, located by the mountains and there and there are frequent train services to Madrid city center.
Have a look here:
http://www.idealista.com/pagina/portada;jsessionid=660323176BCA3773C5FECA66F52F7D11.acaps3?opidiom=cidioma&localeRef=en

Good luck.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments