Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#42628 - 03/12/07 07:28 PM Re: Moving to Spain in March
SRedw Offline

#42629 - 03/13/07 01:53 AM Re: Moving to Spain in March
nevado Offline

Quote:
A couple of years ago, even Vaughn Systems were accepting (hiring) teachers who had student status.
I remember, back in the day, when Vaughn Systems hired teachers without any papers.

#42630 - 03/13/07 12:49 PM Re: Moving to Spain in March
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
First you have to distinguish between the student visa and student residency. A student visa only allows you to enter Spain and live here for a short period (90 days, usually). You cannot legally work when you only have a visa pasted into your passport. During the first 60-90 days you must apply for student residency.

When Vaughan systems hires people with student residency, these people are only working legally if they have applied for permission to work after they receive their student residency. Vaughn is leaving it to the student to do so. A lot of places do this.

The CIEE program is sponsored by the government itself, so that obviously would facilitate getting the permission to study and work.

Not sure about the Vodafone example. Once you have the student residency it is very easy to renew. Perhaps this person came to Spain with a visa via a full-time program and then worked out the deal with Vodafone and renewed his/her student residency with the Vodafone paperwork. But I suspect that this person isn't "working" at all, but is receiving a "beca." If you are a legal student in Spain, you can apply for all sorts of grants and internships. This is different from getting permission to work legally.

#42631 - 03/14/07 08:51 AM Re: Moving to Spain in March
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
I see what you are saying, but again, you are saying student visa when you mean student residency. There is a very important difference between the two.

A student visa is a one-time thing for entry into the country. It isn't renewable and it expires rather quickly. Student residency, on the other hand, allows you to live here and come and go as you please. You can renew it into eternity if you keep studying (not necessarily full-time). You have to have entered this country on a student visa in order to get the student residency.

And, again, you CAN work legally with student residency (and not as a becario). It requires that you get a contract from a company for 20 hours or less per week (or full time during 3 or less months per year), that you prove that this doesn't interfere with your studies (easy enough to do), and that you apply for the permission at the comisaría.

#42632 - 03/14/07 11:18 AM Re: Moving to Spain in March
SRedw Offline

It's been a great ride, but now it's time for me to move on and focus on what's most important to me in life. I wish you all much luck in trying to get back to Madrid.

Shawn

#42633 - 03/19/07 03:14 PM Re: Moving to Spain in March
driven989 Offline

Hey everyone!

I am officially heading to Madrid in 8 days. Here's the deal: I arrive on March 28 and will be staying in a hotel on Gran Via for 4 days, at which time I will have to find a place to live. My question is: What is the best way to go about this process? I don't want to bumble around like an idiot trying to get places, not knowing how to use the metro.

As always, thanks!

#42634 - 03/20/07 01:39 AM Re: Moving to Spain in March
nevado Offline

Do you have sources for your apartment search? Using the metro is a piece of cake, not at all confusing. Get a map and once you are down in the metro, just follow the signs for the color you want. There will be two choices for different directions- consult the end point of the line you are using to determine the direction. No tiene perdida! Easy as pie.
Once you're there, you'll also find walking/bus to be useful.
One thing that will assist you is a map of Madrid that includes the names of the districts/barrios. Some apartment searches really pinpoint a neighborhood and you might miss out not realizing that neighborhood is indeed one that interests you.

#42635 - 03/20/07 03:20 AM Re: Moving to Spain in March
driven989 Offline

Thanks Nevado! Very useful advice. I was worried that the metro would be complicated. I don't want to look like that "lost idiot," but I guess that's inevitable haha...

So I would like to live in any of these areas: Arguellas, Bilbao, Salamanca, Alonso Martinez/Checa, or Opera. Am I missing any other nice, safe areas? Also if anyone knows of anyone leasing apartments (1 bedroom or studio) for no more than 750 Euro/month please let me know. Or if anyone knows any companies that specialize in finding apartments for people, let me know...

Thanks again! Damn, great website!...

#42636 - 03/20/07 09:36 AM Re: Moving to Spain in March
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Have you tried searching on the following places:

www.loquo.com
www.segundamano.es
www.cragislist.org

Loquo is like a Spanish version of Craigslist. If you use craigslist, you will probably be dealing with English speakers. Unfortunately Segundamano is only in Spanish. You can also buy a hardcopy of Segundamano at any newsstand once you arrive here.

Good luck!

#42637 - 03/20/07 11:44 AM Re: Moving to Spain in March
nevado Offline

In addition to Opera, look for the words "palacio" and "austrias" as they could be listed that way. Also, Plaza Mayor, Sol, Lista, (part of Salamanca), Chamberi...there are just tons, I could go on. They might also list the apartment by metro stop.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments