Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#42598 - 02/25/07 07:58 PM Moving to Spain in March
driven989 Offline

Hi all,

I am 31 year old guy from San Francisco, USA - I am moving to Madrid at the end of March. It's something I've always wanted to do, and I figure it's now or never - so I'm taking the leap! My goal is to stay out there for 1 year, and hopefully work and learn Spanish. How realistic is this w/out paperwork??? I'm just trying not to get deported or fall flat on my face...Any advice would help. Thanks all! smile

#42599 - 02/25/07 08:11 PM Re: Moving to Spain in March
SRedw Offline

Have you done a search? This has been discussed before on many threads here.

Shawn

#42600 - 02/26/07 04:36 AM Re: Moving to Spain in March
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hello driven989! Welcome to our ALL SPAIN Message Board.

Sredw's right, this is a topic which comes up nearly monthly (or more often) and there's LOTS of previous discussion on it already. Here are a few of the more recent threads you can read in this forum category (you can also expand the category to "SHOW ALL TOPICS" and you can scan the thread titles):

Network Engineer jobs? Living and working in Spain
Non-EU Jobs
Permanent move?
RELOCATING TO SPAIN ... BLINDLY! ..gulp!
Work in Spain? Show me the money!
Madrid the Impossible Dream

The above are only a small portion of those thread which touch on your question. Chances probably aren't good that you'll get deported but it can certainly happen. Hope you have a good bit of cash saved up to support yourself during that year!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#42601 - 02/26/07 07:53 AM Re: Moving to Spain in March
neilstrauss23 Offline

Loc: madrid
Welcome to Spain!!

Surely, there are lots of opportunity for you i guess. and you could learn your spanish while here for a year... so are you ready for tapas y cañas around? see you on march. keep us updated.. or meet u up soon!

Neilstrauss..

PS: first caña gratis!! smile

#42602 - 02/26/07 02:53 PM Re: Moving to Spain in March
driven989 Offline

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the replies to my post. I've read a lot of threads relating to my topic, and wow, a lot of it sounds pretty discouraging. I guess there's risk in anything though, and time will tell. Special thanks to you "Neilstrauss23" for your welcoming words!!!

#42603 - 02/27/07 04:34 AM Re: Moving to Spain in March
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

(note to driven989 from MadridMan: I've moved your new topic here, thereby extending your original, related question)

(originally posted by driven989 on 02-27-2007 02:34 AM)

Hi all,

A tourist Visa gives you (if you are from the US) a stay of up to 90 days in Spain. Is it possible to extend that tourist visa up to 6 months? If so, how is it done? Is it difficult? If not, any loop holes in terms of leaving the country and re-entering for another legal stay of 90 days? I can't seem to find threads that answer this question percisely.

Thanks!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#42604 - 02/27/07 02:42 PM Re: Moving to Spain in March
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
if you want the legal info go to the US Embassy in Madrid
www.embusa.es

Otherwise, any stay beyond that has risk but i know many who do it (not me citizen of) even work on teaching jobs etc freelance. I guess its difficult but not impossible.
Good luck driven989.

#42605 - 02/27/07 04:04 PM Re: Moving to Spain in March
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Or even better, if you haven't already, check the Spanish Consulate Office's websites in the USA. The one I used for my region, Chicago, is at http://www.mae.es/Consulados/Chicago/en/Home/

The US Embassy won't be able to help you much with this as it's Spain's jurisdiction. They mainly help with US-related issues AFTER becoming a resident or while you're in the process of becoming legal in Spain.

Saludos, MadridMan

#42606 - 02/28/07 06:39 AM Re: Moving to Spain in March
janel Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi driven,
Regardless of the inconsequential fact that after 90 days you would be here illegally, everyone does it, there is not much to worry about. I was like you too, I decided it was time to at least try it and ive been in Madrid 6 years. Let us know when you arrive!

#42607 - 03/04/07 06:44 PM Re: Moving to Spain in March
driven989 Offline

Hey,

Anyone know of a good, safe, affordable place to stay (hotels, apartments, etc - no hostels), from March 28-31 while I find a permanent apartment to rent. I figure somewhere central would be most beneficial?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 808 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments