Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#42548 - 07/31/06 06:45 PM Getting a Job in Spain
eltorero Offline

Hello. I know this has been discussed many times before, and I've looked through other posts but am now thoroughly more confused than ever. Basically, I have a few questions about working in Spain.

I will be going to college soon, and after my first semester I plan on doing study abroad in Spain (I have already been once). My question is whether a student who is in Spain on study abroad is allowed to work, granted they go through the proper process. What do I need? A Work permit and that's all? Or other stuff too?

Also, I wanted to know if once I finish my study abroad (which I'll most likely do several times throughout college) and am on my own, I would like to move to Spain for a while. What does this require? A residency permit? Work permit? I really know nothing about this so any info is helpful.

I'm not looking for a hugely paying job. Just something so I can buy/rent a small place (1 person) and work. I speak near-fluent spanish, so that's a plus, and am open to whatever jobs are available (and by the time I'm out of college, I'll also have a degree): waiter, cab driver, bus boy, I don't care. I also don't need to live in a big city, where I assume living prices are higher. I kind of had my eye on Santo Domingo de Silos, a small town midway between Madrid and Burgos.

Also, to drive in Spain, do all I need is international drivers' license? What about if I'm just going on vacation for a couple of weeks and rent a car?

sorry for so many questions. Thanks for your help.

#42549 - 07/31/06 09:39 PM Re: Getting a Job in Spain
ned Offline

Loc: USA

#42550 - 07/31/06 10:00 PM Re: Getting a Job in Spain
ned Offline

Loc: USA
..sorry, but here is another one you may try:
www.spainexpat.com

#42551 - 08/01/06 11:44 AM Re: Getting a Job in Spain
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
eltorero,

Have you ever considered doing an intern program with a company - b/c your profile does not tell me where you are from I can't be more specific - that has offices in Spain? From what you said, you are in your early college years so might not have a solid idea of what you want to do - i.e. your major area of study .... but if you don't mind working for little (if any) money (wait tables or pour drinks at nite for cash)an internship - done over a couple of years as you indicated - could very well help you get that longed for job in Spain - Contacts are crucial!!!

Does anyone have more detailed knowledge about such a practice or possibility?

#42552 - 08/01/06 06:34 PM Re: Getting a Job in Spain
eltorero Offline

Thanks everyone. Yes, I'll soon be in college, and plan on becomnig a veterinarian. I never thought of an internship, I didn't know you could do that overseas. I'm willing to work for little money, but I do plan on lving there, so I'd need at least a tiny bit to pay for someplace, but it doesn't need to be nice.

I was thinking of living in Santo Domingo de Silos, and maybe working in a restuarant, or what I'd really like to do is work at the monastery as a tour guide (I plan on double majoring in history).

#42553 - 08/01/06 09:18 PM Re: Getting a Job in Spain
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
A quick note on renting a car - even though the minimum driving age is 18 in Spain, car rental companies have a higher minimum age for rentals. It could be from 21 - 25. Other than that, you can drive with a US license there.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 754 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments