Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#42510 - 06/16/06 10:08 AM Teaching English in Madrid
Colleen3481 Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
I am 25 and considering leaving a good job to become TEFL certified in Madrid and teach English. I have researched several programs online, particularly Canterbury, and was just wondering if anyone had any insights/advice. I have travelled to Europe before and have a strong desire to return for a longer period than just vacation. I am at a point where I just need a change. I want to see the world and experience other cultures before I settle down with a family. My main concerns are making enough money to cover the cost of living in Madrid and finding a good quality English teaching job.

#42511 - 06/16/06 01:41 PM Re: Teaching English in Madrid
France Offline

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
Well, you will get some challenges....although it is possible to find a teaching job (taking into account that you will be certified), it might not pay that well....Madrid is an expensive city to live in...and the wages are not that high....I have no idea how people live (it's like London, UK - crazy how people can afford flats over there!!), but I would suggest you contacting schools directly to find out if they would be ready to hire someone like you, and how much they pay. That's how one of my friends got her job....but I have to mention that before that, she had arranged to stay somewhere for next to nothing..so she wasn't really pressed for time....or money......Good luck!

#42512 - 06/17/06 02:09 PM Re: Teaching English in Madrid
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
HI, I've been looking into teaching as well, and the good news is, getting your TEFL and getting work is easy. There are more students than teachers right at the moment.

Most schools offer a 4 week TEFL training course with an offer of work at the end. Cost about 1000 euros to be certified.

Bad news, wages are low and cost of living is high. Starting out I wouldn't plan on earning more than a 1000 a month. 2500 a month if your a highly qualified teacher. You can get shared flats for 300 to 500 a month.

Bottom line, teaching English would be a great way to do a gap year, but beyond that its hard to live on the money. Most people use teaching as a way to supplement their savings.

Also you have issue with work permits, not impossible but tough. I would suggest maybe spending some time at britishexpats and expatfoucus to see how others did it.

For information on shared flats go to in-madrid.com

good luck

Rob

#42513 - 06/19/06 10:35 AM Re: Teaching English in Madrid
Colleen3481 Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Thanks so much for all of the helpful information and insights. I really appreciate it!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments