Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#42437 - 04/23/06 05:09 AM Obtaining a Spanish Driving License?
Jerezano Offline

Loc: Fez/Jerez
I was wondering if some of the Americans living in Spain could shed some light on this issue. I've been told time and time again that the Direccion General de Trafico does not recognise US Licenses as valid for driving in Spain, ONCE the license holder is a resident for more than one year. Instead of the "homologacion" that most EU citizens can do to obtain their Spanish license, I've been told I have to go to driving school, after 17 years of experience!!! Anyone have a way around it?

#42438 - 04/24/06 03:30 PM Re: Obtaining a Spanish Driving License?
ceb Offline

Loc: USA
Hi. What about getting one of those int'l licenses? Let me look into it further and post back.

#42439 - 04/24/06 03:33 PM Re: Obtaining a Spanish Driving License?
ceb Offline

Got it. http://passportsplus.com/idp.html

This should resolve your problem. Spain recognizes this permit, too. Drive safely laugh !

#42440 - 04/24/06 05:16 PM Re: Obtaining a Spanish Driving License?
Jerezano Offline

Thanks ceb, for the info. I'm afraid however that it is a bit more complicated than that. International driver's licenses are technically required in Spain, as a tourist. However in practice the driver's license issued in your state is usually sufficient.

But I am not a tourist, I'm a resident, and what I have been told is that my driver's license is no longer valid for driving within Spain, as I have lived here for longer than a year.

I have heard of Americans at the Naval Base in Rota being issued Spanish licenses, without having to attend driving school. What I was hoping is that someone out there might know how I can have my US license "homologado" in order to receive a Spanish one, without having to attend driving school and spend 'un paston'....

#42441 - 04/24/06 05:23 PM Re: Obtaining a Spanish Driving License?
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I may be wrong, but my understanding is that if you whip out an international license, the police will also expect you to whip out your passport with the proper tourist visa stamped in it. If you show your residency card instead, the international license will not be valid because you are a resident, not a tourist traveling in Spain. So if you get a new tourist visa stamped in your passport every 6 months, you might want to chance it, and not mention your residency to the cops if you're ever stopped or in an accident.

I have friends in Spain who are trying to to get around the new rules, and others who have given in, taken the course, paid all the money, and have their Spanish licenses. They tell me that doing anything else is downright dangerous if you're ever in an accident. If you don't have the proper license and you're in an accident, your insurance becomes invalid. Think about it!

#42442 - 04/24/06 05:28 PM Re: Obtaining a Spanish Driving License?
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
The International Driver's license/permit does not get around Spain's laws about residents needing a Spanish permit. After you get your residency, you have six months to get the Spanish driver's license.

If you are illegal, then technically you aren't supposed to be able to get the Spanish license, though I know some people who have.

There's no way for Americans to get around taking the test, unless they can get a license in a different EU country (by being a citizen or resident there).

#42443 - 04/24/06 05:32 PM Re: Obtaining a Spanish Driving License?
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
Oops, cross-posted. The same goes for renting a car.

If you show your residency card, most won't rent it to you without a Spanish license.

If you show your American license, most won't ask to see your passport and they will rent you the car.

If you show them your passport, they will most likely think to look for your last entry stamp to make sure it was within the last six months and you could be out of luck...

#42444 - 04/24/06 06:16 PM Re: Obtaining a Spanish Driving License?
ceb Offline

Thanks everyone. I just don't know why the int'l is valid for five years, that's an awful lot of time to be a tourist :?. And considering many countries will let you drive with your license from back home (of course depending on the country of origin), so why go through the time and trouble to get one (?). I guess for the very frequent traveler (business person)that stays in several places during the year where they would need this add'l permit in some of the countries they're spending time (along the way).

Then it looks like your best bet Jerezano is to get it done and over with and secure yourself. Hopefully, someone can provide an option to get around the rule, but from what I've read here it doesn't seem possible.

#42445 - 04/25/06 01:18 AM Re: Obtaining a Spanish Driving License?
nevado Offline

There's really no way around it- you are right. My friend just had to go through the auto escuela and had no troubles passing- they made her do the driving test last of the group because she was so experienced they thought she'd make the others look bad. Good luck. Soon they are changing the format of the test- it's supposed to be a bit more difficult (less multiple choice questions).

#42446 - 04/26/06 04:45 AM Re: Obtaining a Spanish Driving License?
Jerezano Offline

Thanks to all for posting....but all of this information I was already aware of, but what I am understanding is that no, there is no way of homologacion for Americans resident in Spain! I had thrown the question out hoping that maybe one of the many of the hispanophiles here more up on legislation in Madrid would provide the miracle answer, that Spain would someday soon recognise US driver's licenses...en fin...

Ceb, I have the Int'l drivers license from AAA, and it is only valid for one year. Where can you get them for a 5 year duration?

I've been pulled over numerous times by the Guardia Civil, and have never been asked to show anything other than the documentation for the car, license, etc. I've showed them my Int'l. license with no problems.

As for the insurance aspect of it, funny enough Diana, a good friend of mine here in Jerez, an American who's lived here for 19 years without getting a Spanish driver's license, had an accident and claimed on her insurance with no problem. Go figure!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments