Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#42417 - 04/06/06 12:29 PM Automatic Nationality
ceb Offline

Loc: USA
Hi. Does anyone know if in the near future Spain will take the same direction as Italy, Ireland, etc., that grant automatic citizenship to the grandchildren of Spaniards?

#42418 - 04/06/06 01:39 PM Re: Automatic Nationality
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
ceb, I'd contact the Spanish consulate/embassy which covers your region in the USA. They SHOULD be able to tell you - if *THEY* know. Check the website http://www.spainemb.org/ and click "Consulates" in the menu at right - or go directly to the Consulates list @ http://www.spainemb.org/ingles/consulate/consulates.htm

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#42419 - 04/06/06 06:11 PM Re: Automatic Nationality
jabch Offline

ceb: Actually, Spain grants automatic citizenship to the grandchildren of its citizens, but only while the grandchildren are minors. Once you are 18 there are more requirements to become a citizen, which makes very difficult to become a citizen. In fact, you are treated almost like any other non-national trying to obtain citizenship in Spain.

I don't think they will change the current law soon. Immigration was a very hot issue for Spanish legislators two years ago, and is very unlikely to be on their agendas any time soon. Probably the next election when a politician goes to campaign to Argentina and promises again citizenships for the grandchildren of Spaniards residing there. You never know!

#42420 - 04/23/06 02:02 PM Re: Automatic Nationality
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
the latest post is correct. However, if you have solid documents such as a family tree documenting with birth certificates that your grandparents were born in Spain: you stand a good chance by contacting the consulate as also advise here.
I am one of those nietos!!!!!!!!!!!Spanish thank you.

#42421 - 04/23/06 02:20 PM Re: Automatic Nationality
Jerezano Offline

Loc: Fez/Jerez
I am the grandson of a Spanish citizen, and I have applied for Spanish citizenship based on this, but also because I was already a legal resident in the country. The current statute allows for the grandchildren of Spanish citizens to apply if they have spent at least one year of legal residency in the country, which doesn't make it any easier for people applying from abroad! This particular rule is considered an exemption from the normal 10 year requirement of legal residency for citizenship applications.

#42422 - 04/24/06 03:25 PM Re: Automatic Nationality
ceb Offline

Thanks for your replies.

Pedmar, I do have solid documentation that my grandfather was Spanish, but that doesn't seem to get me anywhere. My mother has other nationalities, but now in her old age wants to become Spanish---and can do so without moving from the US. I am over 21 years of age, so I don't get that automatic citizenship. My citizenship is American. Can you let me know how I can do what you did, it would be much appreciated. I do notice you're living in Paris...was it b/c you already have a EU citizenship (I am presumming)that the Spanish one was easy to acquire? In the past I've contacted several US Spanish consulates all with conflicting information. The one in D.C. told me if I prepare all the documentation I can get a visa to live the one year in Spain just b/c of being of Spanish descent, but for the area where I live and must do the paperwork with, Miami, I am being told that first I need a visa like anyone else (work, business, etc.)that has no connection to Spain (and it can't be a student one) and then after the year I'll get it. Which makes me think what's the point of claimimg this heritage. What a headache!

#42423 - 04/25/06 08:46 AM Re: Automatic Nationality
big jamon Offline

Loc: boston area
it's a lot easier to obtain if you or your parents were "chased" out of the country by franco...2 of my uncles have already done it and at least 3 or 4 of my cousins are in the process...lots of paperwork involved...good connections help immensely

#42424 - 04/25/06 10:58 AM Re: Automatic Nationality
jabch Offline

ceb, it if very difficult to become a citizen of Spain in your situation. If you have family ties in Spain that can help you get a job, that would be a good start. Then after legally residing for one year in Spain you can apply for Citizenship. However, the citizenship is far from "automatic". I heard, the time from applying for citizenship to obtaining a Spanish passport may be, in some cases, three years. In Argentina and other Latin-American countries there are groups organized for the sole purpose of changing this situation. The grandchildren of Spaniards living in Argentina are the ones working the hardest on this issue. Here you have a website in Spanish that belongs to one of those groups. Nietos Esperando por la Ciudadania (in Spanish).

Like Big Jamon mentioned, connections help. I am always amazed by how fast soccer player get their citizenship after a few years of residency in Spain. The latest example Rafa Marquez, a Mexican soccer player who I think has been with the Barcelona team less than three years.

Also, there have been court granted citizenships when parents of children in your situation have filed lawsuit. However, I suspect this is a very long process, years.

#42425 - 04/25/06 11:49 PM Re: Automatic Nationality
ceb Offline

THANKS GUYS! I am going now to check out the site. Yes, it's very interesting how anyone famous and/or powerful can easily get almost any citizenship, while others that have blood and other more stronger connections are put in a loop hole. I have relatives that could help me out with employment, but this should be once I am there in order to financially withstand the one year. However, I find it ridiculous and burdensome to have to used a work visa as a method of entering into Spain when the whole point is that I'll get the citizenship based on ancestry and not employment based. It just worries me that they'll be complications mixing two things that don't go together...and not to mention conflicting information depending on which embassy you speak with here in the U.S.

Best regards

#42426 - 04/26/06 12:06 AM Re: Automatic Nationality
ceb Offline

The site is great, many thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments