Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#42372 - 10/12/05 12:27 AM Working Permit...
Mar Offline

Loc: chicago/bcn
Hello Lovers of Spain!

confused I've often seen postings regarding getting work permits via marriage or w/ a student visa. I'm not sure anyone has discussed my situation and would appreciate any feedback.

After several visits to Spain, I decided last year to take a hiatus from my life here in the US and spend a couple of months in my favorite city, Barcelona. I easily found a job teaching english, but was paid under the table. Upon my return to the US, I was too nostalgic and realized that I had to go back….I know many of you are in my shoes. I've thought about getting a masters degree to be able to eventually get my student visa and not have to worry about living there illegaly…but then again…I don't want to get a masters degree as I am not in student mode and actually just want to work. My spanish boyfriend, who happens to be a lawyer, seems to think that he can create a “fake” job (working for him) in order for me to obtain my working permit. I suspect that it's a bit more complicated in that I think he would have to prove that no spaniard can do the job he is to “create.” I assume he would contract me as a consultant of some sort…we aren't sure yet as it was just yesterday that we had this conversation and have not concocted our master plan to get myself legalized. Being a citizen of the world is just not good enough is it???? Ha Ha….well our last resort is to get married. But we were hoping the my working for him would be a faster way. When I was last in Spain, Zapatero proposeda law that would give illegals work permits if they proved they had a steady job and the same address for at least 6 months, perhaps this method is something I should consider if the proposition indeed did go through….anyone know???? Well…my dear compatriots….please do tell all you can. I'd appreciate it verrrry molt!

~M

#42373 - 10/14/05 02:23 PM Re: Working Permit...
janel Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hola Mar,
I am currently getting my papers through that process you mentioned, thanks to Zapatero. smile (deadline was last May.) I was in your shoes about 5 years ago and I couldn't get Spain out of my system and didn't want to get old wishing I had tried to make it work. Anyway, I have had to be "illegal" for a few years but in the end its worked out and life here hasnt been much different than if i had a "carnet". Your best bet is to make a deal with your boyfriend and get married "for the papers." As far as him figuring out a contract for you that is another option... and complicated but it can me done, you should talk to a lawyer who handles "extranjeria" to go about it the right way.
Good luck! and let us know!

#42374 - 10/15/05 07:57 PM Re: Working Permit...
Mar Offline

Thanks Janel! So...how does it feel after 5 years? I'm curious as to how your experience has been.

#42375 - 10/18/05 05:23 AM Re: Working Permit...
janel Offline

Hi Mar,
Well, after 5 years I can say I don't regret coming here at all. It was something I really wanted to do and Im glad I made the effort instead of just dreaming about it. At first I said I would stay for a year at least to see if it would work out. It has, and I have made great friends (and found a great boyfriend) and I still love living in Madrid.
smile
J.
Ps. Im going to Barcelona on friday, Its been a long time since ive been there, looking forward to it!

#42376 - 10/20/05 01:30 AM Re: Working Permit...
Mar Offline

Oh my god! I am soo in your shoes...I was totally thinking about going for a year to try it out! Although having already lived there for a couple of months makes me think I'll stay for longer! But anyway, I'm curious as to how your working experience has been ...also your medical insurance...I'm sure your probably getting insured via the government now( via your carnet) but i'd like to know what you did about insurance previously...that is, if you had any.

~M

p.s.-I got on-line tonite to look for fares for barcelona for thanksgiving weekend cause I can't stand it!!! I NEED MY FIX! That and a conjugal visit to my man. Well...have fun when you get there!

#42377 - 10/24/05 10:30 AM Re: Working Permit...
JasMadrid Offline

Are you sure your boyfriend has to prove the work can't be done by a spaniard to hire you??? If it's true I find it stupid... Anyone, coming from any country, should have the same chances to get a contract, at least as long as getting a contract doesn't mean accepting lower wages...

#42378 - 10/24/05 01:14 PM Re: Working Permit...
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Jasmadrid, it's been that way for many, many years. Now people from other EU countries can get jobs in Spain without having to prove anything, but not people from Asia, Africa, North and South America... It's a way for the Spanish government to protect jobs in Spain for Spaniards, which I believe is understandable given unemployment rates. Some day, with globalization continuing at its breathtaking rate, it will probably change. The new EU rules have already started that process.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments