Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#42361 - 09/23/05 11:31 PM Internet based income from US but want to live in Spain!
Sarita Boos Offline

Loc: San Francisco, California
Here's a question for the new internet economy. I run my own
solo Graphic Design/Web Design business here in the US and I want to really settle in Spain. All my $ comes from clients in the US. I would like to work from my computer with my current US clients (and continue to get more US clients). However, I don't have the saved $75,000+ it get a "non-lucrative" visa. What type of Spanish Visa and/or Residency Permit and/or Work App. should I apply for to to obtain Spanish residency? Is that even possible...yet? Now I have my own means to live and don't require a Spanish employer is it still that hard to move there legally? confused

#42362 - 09/24/05 01:30 PM Re: Internet based income from US but want to live in Spain!
femina2003 Offline

Loc: Barcelona
I am in a very similar situation as Sarah. I work for a US company and perform all my work via the internet. Which means technically I can work from anywhere as long as I have internet access, but can I do that legally in Spain? I know that I can legally go to Spain for 3 months every semester, but I want to live there.

Is it possible to do this? If I am working for a US company and they continue to pay me in USD directly to my US bank account?

I stayed in Barcelona the past month, returned to Boston last week, and am going back to BCN in November with hopes of being able to stay. My employeer has agreed to my working from there, since I currently work from home, as long as I can figure out the legal side of things. A task that has proven to be very hard! There are so many lawyers out there I'm not sure which ones are reputable, plus I don't want to pay all the fees. I'm also worried that if I go to the consulate with questions I will be "flagged" somehow in the system.

Please, if anybody out there can give some advice it would be GREATLY appreciated!

#42363 - 09/24/05 05:00 PM Re: Internet based income from US but want to live in Spain!
YZYZ Offline

Loc: Madrid
You should think about taking out a temporary loan to have a big balance in your bank account when you apply for the visa at the consulate. Once you get over here and apply for a residency permit you only need to have proof of a bank account in a Spanish bank with a balance of 8000 euros per year. You need to show that this money was transferred from your account in the US. You will probably need more than 8000 euros for living expenses here anyway so you should have that much regardless.

#42364 - 08/26/06 02:56 PM Re: Internet based income from US but want to live in Spain!
Estopa1 Offline

Loc: Madrid
Why don't you guys marry a Spanish partner? That would solve the problem of moving to Spain!!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments