Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#42349 - 09/18/05 06:48 AM Working in Spain without speaking Spanish.
adiav Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi everyone,

I've fallen in love with Barcelona and am considering moving to Spain (Barcelona at this point, but with more cities on my itinerary I'm keeping my mind open) to learn Spanish (beautiful-sounding language) and work. Problem is, I speak basically no Spanish whatsoever.

Assuming I had all my work permits etc in order (being an EU passport holder), how difficult would it be for me to get a job here seeing as I speak English fluently whilst I learn Spanish? I'd rather not do bar/cafe work, nor teach English, and usually back home in Australia I'm employed in office/administrative type positions where proof reading and a proficiency in grammar/spelling/vocabulary is not just useful but required. I'm open to suggestions, though!

Thanks for any insight or suggestions.

-adiav.

#42350 - 09/18/05 07:10 AM Re: Working in Spain without speaking Spanish.
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
It's going to be quite difficult, but I guess your best chance is to try in a multinational, or as a tourist guide or something like that where your english gives you an advantage.

Fernando

#42351 - 09/19/05 07:39 AM Re: Working in Spain without speaking Spanish.
YZYZ Offline

Loc: Madrid
Also considering that you want to be in Barcelona, you will probably need to learn Catalan too, although Castillian will be understood almost everywhere.

#42352 - 09/19/05 01:08 PM Re: Working in Spain without speaking Spanish.
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Fernando,
I thought that tour guides in Spain had to be licensed by, I guess, the Dept of Tourism, or some other governmental group -

Have the rules have changed?

#42353 - 09/19/05 03:13 PM Re: Working in Spain without speaking Spanish.
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I really don't know Puna... if it is that the case, I'm sure it is easy to obtain it. Requisites would probably be related to knowing languages other than spanish and have an average knowledge of what you are trying to show.

But I have no idea rolleyes

Fernando

#42354 - 09/21/05 06:24 AM Re: Working in Spain without speaking Spanish.
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
Some clubs and language schools (that teach English) in Madrid pay people to hand out flyers. I don't know whether this is legal though. It may be worth knocking on doors in Barcelona if you are stuck for work. To repeat what has already been said, you will have to learn the language (and in Barca you will benefit from knowing Catalan as well). Irish pubs often look for bar tenders who can speak English so although you've stated you don't want this kind of work, this may be the only option..
Good luck in whatever you do...

Here's some jobsites for when you do learn the lingo
Infojobs
infoempleo
monster
trabajos

#42355 - 09/24/05 02:33 PM Re: Working in Spain without speaking Spanish.
monito Offline

Loc: madrid
Why not do a quick 3 months intensive Spanish course in Oz before you come to Spain? To have at least a basic working knowledge of the language will go a long way in helping you find your way around.

#42356 - 09/24/05 03:17 PM Re: Working in Spain without speaking Spanish.
femina2003 Offline

Loc: Barcelona
Do a job search on www.Monster.es or www.infojobs.net with a keyword of 'English'. In larger international companies English is the business language and they require all applicants to take an English test, however you may run into a barrier with your co-workers as the spoken language for banter at the office is Catalan or Spanish. My experience has been as long as I make an effort and the people in the office know I am trying they will speak Spanish or English instead of Catalan with me. Of course I have only been there as a consultant working months at a time, but still it has been wonderful!

Once you are there for a period of time, it will be much easier to pick up the language. Although I would recommend buying a CD to learn prior, taking a class once you are there, or having some intercambios. I also recommend, and this may sound strange, watching tv programs that you know, but are being televised in Spanish. The fact that you have familarity with the program will allow you to have a better grasp on what is being said in Spanish until it eventually is stored in your memory without you realizing it! Like I said, it sounds strange, but it works :-)

CD - Rosetta Stone is great, because it actually offers Spanish from Spain CDs.

Class - so many to choose from, Don Quijote is good and is easy to get to in Barcelona.

Intercambio (Language exchange) - post or respond to a listing on www.loquo.com

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments