Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#42045 - 12/04/04 11:47 PM Exchange Rate---Dollar v. Euro
mig914 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Hello. I'm planning a trip to Spain in March and am wondering if I should convert my funds now to Euros rather than wait for the rates to get worse (as they've predicted). It's said that it's less-expensive to change over a currency in it's home market...but still would like some input.
Please advise.

Francisco

#42046 - 12/05/04 02:56 AM Re: Exchange Rate---Dollar v. Euro
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
It could go either way. As it looks now the dollar is not going to gain strength, and will continue to weaken. Who knows, after the reinagguration it could change. GWB is supposed to be making a trip to Europe to try and improve Euro Yankee relations. Maybe he will do some good, maybe not. There is a post going on now on this board about the cost of living in Spain titled Show Me The Money you might want to read.

As long as the dollar is weak don't be looking for any great bargains in tourism. frown

#42047 - 12/06/04 01:06 AM Re: Exchange Rate---Dollar v. Euro
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
Hi All,

The latest word is that the EU and Japan are intervening to devalue their own currencies so that the Euro/Dollar thing doesn't get too much further out of hand...

Of course, I only *slightly* trust them to steer their own economies properly. But a Dollar that is too invaluable is bad for them too.

It's more or less a $1.34 for a euro right now... It should go down, hold off on purchasing euros, use a credit card where you can, wait to purchase til you get there...

Keep track of it here: Exchange Rates

andrew

#42048 - 12/17/04 09:03 PM Re: Exchange Rate---Dollar v. Euro
Quevedo Offline

Loc: New York City
Francisco - there is something to be said for converting to euros early if you believe (as I do) that the dollar will continue to lose value over the next few months. Realistically, though - how much money do you expect to convert for a vacation? If it is a few hundred dollars, it won't make too much difference and you won't stand to gain or lose very much either way. Just go to Spain, have a great time and don't worry about financial strategies that are too unpredictable! - Quevedo

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments