Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#41960 - 10/20/04 03:28 PM Meaning of: Native speaker required
Heidigirl Offline

Loc: Canada
Hello to you all,
I hold a german passport (so therefore I am a member of the EU citizens) and I am thinking of teaching english in spain next year. I speak the Canadian english, I have been living in Canada now since 1987. However, I see a lot of spanish job postings with this heading: Native speaker ONLY...and things like that. What do they mean by "native speaker"? Do you have to be british in order to teach for that specific company? I hope that you can all help me with this...it's confusing me. I guess I am a native EU member...but speaker? What do they mean by that?
THANK YOU!
Heidi

#41961 - 10/20/04 03:45 PM Re: Meaning of: Native speaker required
Anonymous
Unregistered

They mean that you need to have been (born and) raised in an english speaking country, that is, for English teaching positions.

However, something is what they ask for and other think is what they can get. Many times they don't find native speakers, and you have a very similar profile. You'd probably be suitable for most of those ads.

Good luck!

#41962 - 10/21/04 12:01 AM Re: Meaning of: Native speaker required
Heidigirl Offline

Loc: Canada
Thank you ignacio! It is very appreciated!

#41963 - 11/01/04 03:43 PM Re: Meaning of: Native speaker required
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hi Heidi --

I completely agree with Ignacio. Native speakers mean those who were born and raised in the country where the language is spoken (i.e. Canada, England, Ireland, USA, Australia, etc.).

However, since you have lived in Canada since 1987, I would venture to say that you have an excellent command of the English language (perhaps even near native) and with your EU citizenship would make you an ideal candidate for many teaching positions.

Feel free to send me a private message and I would be more than happy to point you in the right direction of places that I know are hiring now!

Saludos!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 721 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments