Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#41948 - 10/15/04 05:38 PM Madrid: More Work Questions for US Citizen
Scarlett1 Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
I have read all of the work threads and am discouraged being an American and thinking I want to live and work in Spain.

I will finish my MBA in the Spring and was thinking of trying to move and work in Spain. I am working on my Spanish, but am in no way fluent. I do have about 9 years work experinece in banking and training.

What is your suggestions for securing a job? Look at American companies in Spain? I want to live in Madrid because I have Spanish friends that live nearby.

Thanks ahead of time for any helpful hints.

#41949 - 10/18/04 09:47 AM Re: Madrid: More Work Questions for US Citizen
SimonC Offline

Loc: Madrid - Spain
If you're not fluent in Spanish, then you will def need an English Speaking company to work for... unless you're lucky.

Only problem you might have is, if they offer you an interview, then you might have to make the trip here.

I work for an American company and they require you to speak a high level of English, but in my office... everyone speaks Spanish. So it will help to be able to hold a conversation.

Good luck...
Sim

#41950 - 10/18/04 05:00 PM Re: Madrid: More Work Questions for US Citizen
Scarlett1 Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
Thanks for the advice. I really do much better learning when I am immersed in the language and hope that it will come quickly once I'm there.

I will look for American or English speaking companies first so that at least I will be able to communicate if I need something. If one of these companies does offer me a job, will they then help me get my work papers? This is the whole issue I guess I'm struggling with - if it is a catch 22, how do you get around it?

I don't mind going over there for an interview, it just gives me another excuse to fly to Spain laugh

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments