Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#41851 - 06/14/04 06:31 PM Overseas Shipping
Waterboy Offline

Loc: Kansas
So I had to get a shotgun marriage so that I could actually get my wife a visa in time to go to spain with me. Now does anyone have any suggestions on who to contact to ship my stuff overseas. Is it going to be easiest to go with Fed Ex or UPS or is there another company that will specialize in overseas moves. There won't be any furniture moved but a lot of little things. Any direction will be greatly appreciated.

#41852 - 06/14/04 06:52 PM Re: Overseas Shipping
willson Offline

Loc: Almería
Fedx or UPS or the Post office is not the way to go. Lots of $$s.
You need a (small) Freight Forwarder.

For example, I did my move out of New York.
I had something like 10 medium/small packing boxes and a couple of framed pictures (largish).
UPS would have been (literaly) thousands... the forwarder was much more reasonable.

Where are you shipping from?

#41853 - 06/16/04 12:18 PM Re: Overseas Shipping
nita601 Offline

Loc: NY
UPS, DHL, FedEx will charge you way too much,I shipped 4 medium sized boxes that would have cost about 2000 euro had i not had some connections. Keep in mind that if you dont need some stuff for a while or can pack some stuff earlier, you could try these companies - it will be cheaper to have things shipped by boat (which could take upto 4 months) rather than quick delivery.

#41854 - 06/16/04 04:05 PM Re: Overseas Shipping
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
When I moved here I shipped my stuff by boat... 6 large boxes. It took 6 weeks for the items to arrive. Pack what you won´t need immediately (winter clothes, etc) in boxes and have them sent by boat. Google "overseas shipping" and I am sure you will come up with many possible companies.

I shipped out of northern New Jersey.

#41855 - 06/19/04 03:51 PM Re: Overseas Shipping
monito Offline

Loc: madrid
Whatever you do, do NOT use a company called UNIWORLD who operate out of New Jersey! They "lost" 2 bikes enroute and could not trace them as they do not use any computerised tracking system, I was out $1,000 right there, plus they ship to Spain via the UK so I had to wait 4 months for my stuff to arrive. Then they tried to deliver with a gigantic truck and trailer which wouldn't fit down the street, the driver told me he'd have to take the shipment back to England and I'd have to pay for a regular van to come back in a month...yeah...my pregnant wife and I unloaded the truck on the corner and carted the stuff a block to the front door.
A friend of mine used them as well, unknown to me, to ship to Oslo and they broke a few boxes full of china and glasses that they were meant to pack up securely in the warehouse before shipping.
Their customer service was great before the fact but abysmal and totally non-communicative after...caveat emptor!
monito

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments