Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#41739 - 04/26/04 06:31 PM Entering Spain with a one way ticket...
atchie96 Offline

Hi all, a quick question for you guys: I'll be going to Spain this September and plan on spending a year or so picking up random tutoring jobs. I don't have a visa, so I would be there illegally which I get the feeling isn't that uncommon. I came across a great plane ticket deal, but it is one way. My question is; would I be permitted to enter Spain with no visa and a one way ticket?

#41740 - 04/26/04 07:39 PM Re: Entering Spain with a one way ticket...
wanderer Offline

Loc: Palo Alto, CA.
If you are a US citizen and hold a US passport a visa is not necessary but you can only stay for a limited time. If you're not a US citizen you will need to apply for some kind of visa, be it tourist or work related to be able to get in. My advice to you is don't chance going there illegally or without a visa (if you are not a US citizen). With the recent bombings in Madrid, airport security and passport control will be really tight.

I was visiting Madrid 2 years ago for my vacation with no visa and I was under the impression that since I was a US resident I had the same rights as a US citizen. I assumed wrong and it turns out that I needed a visa (schengen visa). Airport police detained me overnight and then sent me back to London where I had a stopover before Madrid. Needless to say, I learned the hard way and did not get to see Madrid at all...just the inside of the airport and the detention center. It was not a pleasant experience at all.

So, save yourself a lot of grief and trouble and go there legitly. If you get caught you may not be allowed to enter Spain at all...ever. If you've never been to Madrid before, why don't you try it for a month or two and see what it's like before committing yourself to a year.

Good luck!

#41741 - 04/26/04 08:52 PM Re: Entering Spain with a one way ticket...
GoMadrid Offline

Loc: California
I just returned from Madrid, and passport control was very relaxed. I do not believe that they asked to see our airline ticket. If your first stop is another location in the EU, for example, two years ago we flew from SFO to Franfort and then on to Madrid. We went through passport control in Frankfort, and in Madrid we simply picked up our bags and got on the bus to Plaza Colón.

Good luck...

#41742 - 04/27/04 12:40 PM Re: Entering Spain with a one way ticket...
Lynnseedoil Offline

Loc: St. Louis, MO
My husband and I are currently shopping for good deals on one-way tickets to Spain for this June. (We are moving there until at least November 2005)
Where did you find your good deal? I've been able to find one-way tickets as low as $495 from St. Louis (with one lay-over) but I can't buy yet... We're still waiting on visas and consulates etc. However, any leads are welcome!
Thanks, Lynn

#41743 - 04/27/04 01:13 PM Re: Entering Spain with a one way ticket...
RasBoriqua Offline

Loc: Humacao, Puerto Rico
Try the following website
http://www.airhitch.org
The best way to get to Europe on the cheap.

#41744 - 05/02/04 02:50 PM Re: Entering Spain with a one way ticket...
monito Offline

Loc: madrid
Hi,
I see there's a lot of people here wanting to get into Spain under the noses of the Immigration authorities so I figure you must know a lot about all the rules and regulations that why I'm asking here...I'm thinking of coming to the USA from Spain for an extended period of time and getting a job there as an english teacher or a barman, I wonder if all you Americans can tell me the best way to get into the USA illegally, I don't have a visa and I only want to buy a one way ticket. Is it better to come in via Canada or over the Rio Grande from Mexico. If I get married there how long before I can get Citizenship and do I have to have a job before I can start claiming social security? Can I bring my whole family over right away or will I have to wait a while?
Yours in potential hot water laugh ,
Monito

#41745 - 05/02/04 05:30 PM Re: Entering Spain with a one way ticket...
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
wanderer wrote:
Quote:
If you are a US citizen and hold a US passport a visa is not necessary but you can only stay for a limited time. If you're not a US citizen you will need to apply for some kind of visa, be it tourist or work related to be able to get in. My advice to you is don't chance going there illegally or without a visa (if you are not a US citizen).
Seems pretty straight-forward to me.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#41746 - 05/03/04 04:10 PM Re: Entering Spain with a one way ticket...
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
Nice post, Monito! smile

If I hadn't already read your 'Open Request to Madridman' I might have thought you were serious...

My suggestion for you is to fly into Mexico City, take a bus to Tijuana, and then hire a coyote to help you get into the USA illegally.

Otherwise, you could always fly to Vancouver and catch a taxi to Seattle. smile

#41747 - 05/04/04 11:26 AM Re: Entering Spain with a one way ticket...
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Monito --

I think you made your point in the "Open request to Madridman" thread. The intention of your post here will probably get lost here as the individuals who are posting are being serious.

I am afraid that the questions you are asking here are outside of the realm of this message board as this is an ALL SPAIN message board.

You might want to try other forums that are more general such as Craigs List or better yet, go to your nearest embassy, I am sure that they will have all the answers that you are looking for. :p

#41748 - 05/04/04 06:01 PM Re: Entering Spain with a one way ticket...
monito Offline

Loc: madrid
Hey Chica,
Thanks for the tip, the Strictly Platonic section of the Personals is exactly what I was looking for wink
Just to be a pesky little monkey again I'd like to remind folks that a round trip ticket is usually cheaper than a one way. Last month I had a friend coming into Barajas from Caracas on a one way who after being held in the airport by Immigration officials for 6 hours was given the option to either be deported (at his expense) or buy another one way return ticket for 2 weeks later(which he did).
I posted here as I thought a little sarcasm might not go amiss, I am sorry if I offended anyone, I didn't realise people were being serious, and the Open Letter post was meant to draw people's attention to the possible outcome of their decision to take other people's advice seriously, and I'm not being sarcastic about that...
Un Abrazo,
monito

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments