Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#41717 - 04/10/04 10:02 PM Opening a Business in Spain
ryannouveau Offline

Loc: SF
I am interested in opening a business in Madrid and need some information about how best to get this done. I have researched this topic extensively but still have some concerns..can anyone help? has anyone done this?

I know that you must first open the business in Spain (which I know how to do)..

My question is regarding the process of applying for "permiso de residir y trabajar." I know that this must be done at the Dept. of Labor in Madrid, but I want to make sure that I am not denied.
-Does anyone know exactly what they are looking for?
-What are the necessary qualifications of the business?
-Is there anything that I must do to ensure that there is no reason for denial?
-Do they give these often?
-How hard are they to get?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...also looking for partner to open bar, anyone interested who has funds?

ryannouveau@aol.com

Thanks-Ryan

#41718 - 04/10/04 11:26 PM Re: Opening a Business in Spain
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Mmmm, you should better ask in the nearest spanish consulate. I'm sure they will clarify how the process is, and probably what they are looking for and the main reasons for denials.

As for the business itself I wish you good luck! Try to distinguish your bar from the others smile and contracting proffesional waiters should be a must (unless you intend to open a night-pub).

Fernando

#41719 - 04/13/04 04:13 PM Re: Opening a Business in Spain
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
My wife opened a "Centro Estetica" a year ago. She is from Ecuador, and has graciously consented to supply an answer.

She says you must go to the Spanish Consulate in the city where you live and apply for your "visa de autonomo" (independent working visa -- that is you are working for yourself, and not for an employer). You must present your plan for the project also. When you get permission to open the business your Residency and Work Permits will be issued automatically. You have to have a bank account with a minimum of 3000€. You will have to go to a Notary naturally too. The Consulate will explain everything.

Good luck, and let us know what your experience is. I plan on doing the same next time I am in the US.

#41720 - 04/15/04 09:41 PM Re: Opening a Business in Spain
ryannouveau Offline

The reason I am asking is that everytime I talk to the next person there is a new way to do it...I was under the impression that the process is this...please correct me in any areas I am wrong.

I was told that would have to get "Investors Visa" from Spanish Consulate in my country, and in order to apply for this you have to get what is called "Permiso de residir y trabajar" from the Dept. of Labor in Madrid.. To do this you must open the business first in spain S.L. and all the steps it entails (ie. bank account 3030Euros, register company name, CIF number, etc..)
Then after setting up the business you apply for "permiso de residir y trabajar." Once you have this,stamped and approved, you have to go to Spanish Consulate with all other paperwork for submission for "Investors Visa."

Considering all the bureaucracy that goes on with this I was considering hiring a lwyer in Spain who speaks english to set-up business and apply for Residence and Work Permits. Is this necessary? I gues my question is if the Consulate makes it difficult to get a visa para cuenta propia?

Thanks for the help..

If anyone has any more information about this, or has first-hand experience, any help would be greatly appreciated.

#41721 - 04/17/04 01:51 AM Re: Opening a Business in Spain
Peter San Diego Offline

Loc: San Marcos, near San Diego , C...
Hi Ryan,

Did you get your bar opened yet? If so, how did the process work? I might be interested in investing, if it is the business plan looks good. I know several bar owners in Madrid, and I get mixed opinions. Some are doing well, some not. How is it going so far?

Let me know.

#41722 - 04/17/04 03:21 AM Re: Opening a Business in Spain
Madrid Ex-Ex-Pat Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi Ryan

If you are really serious about this, I would suggest hiring an attorney in Spain to help you through the process. I worked with an attorney in Spain to obatin a VISA and discussed the possiblity of opening my own business. I don't remember exactly how much her fee would have been, but I know that having a Spanish atty handle the paper work (and grease the right palms) can seriously increase your chances of approval and expedite the process as well.

Good luck!

#41723 - 04/17/04 04:40 AM Re: Opening a Business in Spain
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
Just a note on the last post. The implication that you have to "grease the right palms" to get something done in Spain should be taken as an insult :p . I've lived in more than one country where it is a given that the "mordida" is required to get anything done. I haven't seen too much of that in my (admitedly) short time in Madrid. In addition, it could well be a violation of US law to pay bribes (definately not/not tax deductible). If you are caught, the fact that you are offering a bribe through an agent will not absolve you of responsibility.

All that aside, I would second the recommendation that you use an advisor who is experienced in working though the paperwork of setting up a business. There is a treaty between Spain and the US that allows nationals of either country to open a business in the other country as either an investment or for international trade. As usual, what constitutes a qualifying investment or internation trade is the devil in the details!

#41724 - 04/24/04 05:00 AM Re: Opening a Business in Spain
ryannouveau Offline

So does anyone have first-hand experience setting up a business in Spain and obtaining all the required paperwork? What besides the obvious written requirements did you encounter when proceeding with this process?

Does anyone know or can anyone recommend a lawyer that specializes in this type of service?

#41725 - 04/26/04 02:59 PM Re: Opening a Business in Spain
Descubre Offline

Ryan,

I recently opened up a business in Sevilla and while the process is long and tedious, it is not impossible--trying find work is impossible.

Here is the best advice I can give you: Find a good lawyer to help you through the process. As of December 18, 2003, immigration laws have changed and it is increasingly more difficult.

I can recommend you my lawyer Pura Llorente from Strong Abogados. She studied at NYU, speaks English and has pretty much cared for us through the entire process. You can inquire at www.strongabogados.com.

I want to emphasize, for credibility's sake, that I am only a client and am in no other way affiliated with Pura. I only suggest contacting her and she will at the very least point you in the right direction.

Good luck, and if you have any more questions email me.

Ciao,
Eric

#41726 - 04/26/04 03:32 PM Re: Opening a Business in Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Coincidentally, Descubre, I contacted Pura about a year ago. Unfortunately, she wasn't able to help me with my issue but she was polite in our email exchanges, as I recall. I got her name (and photo) from the http://www.SpainExpat.com site.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments