Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#41673 - 02/15/04 08:45 PM Job in Sevilla, advice requested
Doug316 Offline

I have an interview in March for a senior-level electical engineering position in Seville. Does anyone have any input as far as salary ranges for an experienced engineer (9 yrs exp)? Not that I need to know specifically for my particular area of expertise, but a reasonable idea of professional salaries would help to know the difference between a fair offer and a lowball.

Does anyone have any other advice that an extrajero might benefit from during my first out-of-US interview?

Thanks!

#41674 - 02/16/04 05:38 AM Re: Job in Sevilla, advice requested
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
Living in Spain, working in Spain, right now is next to impossible because the government has a new law which freezes applications for residency and employment until after the elections, when a they will take a new look at the "problem." It will depend if the PP or PSOE wins, the PP being very anti-immigration, and the PSOE more pro.

I have lived here over three years and am still trying, in vain, to get my residency and work permits. Luckily my wife works (7 days a week at two jobs), and I paint to sell and also give art lessons under the table, but nevertheless I might have to return to the US to search for work.

My advice to anyone who is thinking about making the leap is to GET A JOB OFFER HERE FIRST. It is totally unrealistic to think you can get employment, legal or otherwise, which will support you, let alone a family, without a good, valid work offer. Without the job your chances of getting residency are nill. My wife had to wait over three years for her residency and work permits. Salaries are ridiculously low, not enough to make a living (even for legal work), and "pisos" (apartments) prices to purchase are around 250,000 € and up (in a barrio such as Alcobendas -- Madrid centro is double that).

The best thing is to have an independent business which does not need to be site-specific. This is why I started 1st Class Pinups (www.1stclasspinups.com).

#41675 - 02/16/04 02:53 PM Re: Job in Sevilla, advice requested
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Doug316, I wish you the best of luck with your interview. It's a bit of a shame we didn't have more information to give you here in this thread on expected salaries. However, from what little I've heard, it seems that whatever you were making in the US you can count on about 60%-70% of that in Spain - maybe even less. While it sounds shocking at first, the cost of living in SOME parts of Spain can be lower so your salary may go further. Plus, there are some things that money just can't buy like a way of life, a social culture surrounding you, the beauty of land-and-sea everywhere, and many many more things that make Spain appealing to many. Best of luck to you.

Martín de Madrid, it's good to see you " 'round these parts" again! There was a woman in another thread asking about the artists community in Madrid - I sent you a Private Message Board it.

Thanks for that useful and enlightening information above. I get countless emails from people asking how they can get a job in Madrid for the summer or, you know the kind, they're going to drop everything, board a plane, and make a new life for themselves in Spain. Just like that! Since you're there and you're going through the same thing, I'll direct these well-wishers to your posting.

Sincerely, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#41676 - 02/16/04 04:12 PM Re: Job in Sevilla, advice requested
Doug316 Offline

If they offer me 70% of what I made before, I would be thrilled! smile

#41677 - 02/16/04 04:54 PM Re: Job in Sevilla, advice requested
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Assuming your present/past job and the new one are similar in level, that is.

Again, prepare for less since, well, they know you WANT to move to Spain so this desire might work against you on the salary end. I mean, if they THINK you'd be willing to take LESS just to live/work there then... well.. you get it. But good luck! We love success stories around here!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#41678 - 02/16/04 08:44 PM Re: Job in Sevilla, advice requested
Cartman Offline

Martin

what u mean by freezing of residency & employment work. When this happened.

I received my papers from Ministry couple of days ago. Now I have to apply in consulate to get proper visa.

Is this freeze gonna effect me also?

thanks

#41679 - 02/17/04 09:42 PM Re: Job in Sevilla, advice requested
Doug316 Offline

Basically any salary information for an experienced professional would be helpful information, thanks!

#41680 - 02/18/04 12:50 AM Re: Job in Sevilla, advice requested
nevado Offline

I'm not sure what experienced engineers make but here's what I do know...all of my friends (under 40) with similar years of professional experience make less than 3000 euros/month.

#41681 - 02/18/04 09:21 AM Re: Job in Sevilla, advice requested
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hello

May I can give a hint. The engineering arena is totally different depending on the sector you are working on.

If we are talking about electrical utilities, salaries tend not to be excellent for permanent employees (these jobs are for the whole life). A project base contract is a totally different matter.

Giving frames is extremelly complicated without knowing more, but asuming you'll be in the technical/projects area (not sales, marketing direction...)and asuming you become a normal employee, you can expect anything from 35.000€
to 50.000€ (offers tend to be complemented with other things).

Nevertheless, if you want more info let me know

#41682 - 02/18/04 10:52 AM Re: Job in Sevilla, advice requested
Doug316 Offline

Wow that's quite a pay cut from those Bay Area $100k plus salaries! Time to do some cost-of-living research to find out if i could live on that much...(too old to live like a college student).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 799 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments