Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#41498 - 05/02/03 02:55 PM Working legally? (while studying?)
Amanda Panda Offline

Loc: Tallahassee, FL USA
Thank you for your advice Melinda and Madridman
How difficult is it to obtain a student visa?
I am interested in studying while over there.
Is it possible to work and study at the same time legally?
Thanks again
Amanda

#41499 - 05/02/03 03:19 PM Re: Working legally? (while studying?)
Melinda328 Offline

Loc: Madrid
It's not extremely difficult, but there are a lot of specifics that you have to meet. Check the website for the Spanish consulate for details:
www.spainconsul-ny.org

No, you cannot work legally while you study. Even if you received an offer for a job in Spain today, you would have to fly there, file it with the ministry of labor, come back to the US and wait 4 months for your work permit. You won't be able to work legally in Spain unless you're really willing to make it a long-term commitment and even then it's pretty hard to find a company that will hire you over a British or Irish person unless you have something really special to offer that other applicants don't.

Melinda

#41500 - 05/02/03 05:56 PM Re: Working legally? (while studying?)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
[originally posted by Amanda Panda on 05-02-2003 03:00 PM]

Dear all,
I am an American who will be working this summer teaching English at a summer camp, I have puchased my own travller's insurance and all that, but I really want to stay at least a year to become fluent in Spanish, however I am absolutely stumped about what to do to get a visa. I do not want to be illegal. Anyone have advice?
Thanks
Amanda

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#41501 - 05/03/03 10:00 AM Re: Working legally? (while studying?)
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Hi Amanda, how did you find out, get the job teaching english at a summer camp, anything more you can tell me about that would be great, it sounds like it might be the kind of thing im looking for, thanks a bunch.

As far as your question, why not work this summer, and then enroll in a study abroad program for the upmcoming year, are you a current student in the usa. Once you are enrolled in a program, i have found that it is very easy to get a student visa. However I believe you would need to do this, BEFORE going to spain this summer to work.
Good luck
Kelly laugh

#41502 - 05/06/03 04:26 PM Re: Working legally? (while studying?)
Amanda Panda Offline

Loc: Tallahassee, FL USA
Kelly,
you can visit web page that's where I found my job. once there e-mail Carolina Fleix she is the director in charge. It's a summer school where Spanish kids go to learn english
Amanda

#41503 - 06/02/03 12:45 PM Re: Working legally? (while studying?)
Nerja Spain Offline

Loc: Nerja, Spain
Dear All,

I can tell you that getting the work permit for Spain is a pain in the neck.

It is true that law in Spain says you cannot get a full time job with a student visa. However, you can get a job in Spain, as long as it does not interfere with your classes.

I work with students that get student visas for Spain. The Student Residency card cant take up to three months from the moment you arrive from outside Spain with your student visa. Then, once you have the Student Residency card, if you have a job offer, you can get a permit to work. It is a lenghthy process, as you have to spend time collecting several papers.

There is a page that explains it all, but it is in Spanish: http://www.mir.es/extranje/reggral/estudia2.htm#auto.

In any case, if you have the Student Visa and Residency card and you have a job offer, you should be able to work, provided you follow all the bureauCRAZY in Spain!

Good luck with the process!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments