Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#41198 - 08/07/02 01:54 PM Madrid:Broke & looking for work
aine Offline

Loc: bristol, england
Hi,
I'm stating a years work placement in Madrid but unfortunately I'm not going to be getting paid. Any ideas on how I could get a weekend/ evening job doing bar work or similar student jobs?

#41199 - 08/07/02 03:26 PM Re: Madrid:Broke & looking for work
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi aine! How bold to take a 1-year non-paying job and no way to support yourself. Yikes! :eeks: Should we assume you'll be living on savings or some other support if you're not able to find outside/paying work on-the-side? Hope so!

Well, at least your Irish so you can legally work in Spain/Madrid. If you have any teaching or training experience you might be able to land part-time English-Teaching jobs here and there.

Not sure you'll have much luck with bars though.
Seems to me that most all only employ Spaniards unless you know someone on the inside. Keep in mind that Spain has the highest unemployment rate of all Europe and all employers are legally bound to offer all jobs first to Spaniards then to EU citizens.

Here's a novel idea! (or maybe not - maybe it's a silly idea) If you can sing and/or dance to Irish folk songs then you may make some extra cash as a street performer. Plus, you'd likely meet A LOT of people this way.

Good luck to you! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#41200 - 08/07/02 10:50 PM Re: Madrid:Broke & looking for work
Dimitris Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece (ex-Barcelona a...
Hello everyone - this is my first message here!

> all employers are legally bound to offer
> all jobs first to Spaniards then to EU citizens.

Are you sure about that? I think you meant to say 'spaniards and EU nationals have the same priority, and only if you can't find any then you can hire non-EU nationals'.

That was certainly the case when I worked in the UK, and I can't imagine Spain having different rules!

D

#41201 - 08/08/02 03:31 AM Re: Madrid:Broke & looking for work
MAD for Madrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
In terms of bars you might try looking at some of the Irish pubs in the city. Many that I've been to have at least one (native) English speaker working since many expats visit them.

#41202 - 08/08/02 08:27 AM Re: Madrid:Broke & looking for work
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Dimitris, first, welcome to the group! And yes, I'm pretty sure about the whole "Spain must first offer all jobs to Spaniards first and then to EU nationals" thing. I'm not positive about this "law" but I am pretty sure. It may very well be because of Spain's high unemployment rate - something that isn't the case in other EU countries.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#41203 - 08/08/02 12:34 PM Re: Madrid:Broke & looking for work
zoe c Offline

Loc: London
Aine, hello

Just to clear this little bit up,under the Treaty of Rome (Article 82 I think off top of my sad head) all EU citizens must be treated equally for employment purposes. Therefore, you could bring a claim against a company that discriminated against you by employing a Spanish person in preference to yourself simply because they are Spanish and you are Irish. However, they'd have pretty good grounds for not regarding you equally if you couldn't speak sufficient Spanish.

The part I think is causing some confusion is that EU nationals take priority above an American citizen for example, as the US is not an EU Member State under the above Treaty. Yeah, sorry for this one. Lawyer on board.

Good luck with the job hunting, I will also be looking for work come September.

Zoe

#41204 - 08/08/02 01:02 PM Re: Madrid:Broke & looking for work
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

zoe c, thank you SO much for clearing up this/my false understanding. I stand corrected and WE ALL greatly appreciate it. smile I honestly believed there was a "rank & order" to hiring in Spain and the EU. Thanks again!

Saludos, MadridMan

#41205 - 08/08/02 05:21 PM Re: Madrid:Broke & looking for work
aine Offline

Loc: bristol, england
Thanks everyone,
I study law as well so I'm pretty sure too that within the Eu I have as much right to employment as home nationals of any member state. As for savings to live on- basically no, I have nada- de hecho menos que nada. All I ahve is the £1500 loan my education board think is enough for me to live on .Whilst all the erasmus students get a free ride i'm stuch with leonardes! But I'm not bitter! I'll just have to wait and see whats about when I get there. Thanks for the suggestion MM but don't think the Spanish public are quite ready for my vocal talents, though I do play tinwhistle, anyone wanna form a group?!?

#41206 - 08/09/02 04:59 PM Re: Madrid:Broke & looking for work
Kev Offline

Hi Aine i would be very interested in hearing how you get on in the work Situation, as i will be moving to Madrid early next year and would like to know how a fellow "paddy" gets on. I think i will be drinking all the Irish bars dry until they give me a job, my reason being that if i have to returned home what a customer they would lose smile (no doubt most of my wages will be spend in that bar) but like i said i would really like to know how you get on.
Hasta Luego
As for the forming a band jobbie i can bang two spoon together that makes some kind of noise at least smile

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments