Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#40788 - 12/22/01 09:20 PM Job networking
Rocinante Offline

Loc: N. Redondo Beach, CA
American coming to Madrid late January. Speak spanish nearly fluently; CELTA certified. Looking for contacts who currently teach ESL, or are themselves looking for work also, that may be able to provide leads or guide me and others in the right direction, (ie. academias o colegios, or individuals looking for teachers).

Thought it would be a good idea to start a thread on contacts and references for people in need.

Gracias. cool

#40789 - 12/22/01 09:32 PM Re: Job networking
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hola Rocinante -- I am an American (from Philadelphia) living here in Spain now teaching English. Try checking out www.infojobs.net. Also www.oxfordenglishgroup.com. Some other language institutions include Wall Street Institute and Opening English . Feel free to drop me a note if you have any other questions. Good luck!

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#40790 - 12/23/01 06:55 PM Re: Job networking
Rocinante Offline

One important concern...I don't have work Visa, confused

Is this a major hurdle to overcome? Will I have to settle for marginal work and unpleasant working conditions? Do I have a decent chance of even finding enough work to pay for monthly rent?

Am I off base in thinking that there may be less Americans venturing off to Spain to teach English in light of the current international tension, therefore slightly increasing demand for native speakers?

#40791 - 12/23/01 07:21 PM Re: Job networking
Tracy Moral Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hey!
Don't forget to check out the Expatriate Cafe . It's a great way to begin your search and we now have a JOBS OFFERED page too!

Tracy

#40792 - 12/24/01 04:41 AM Re: Job networking
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Rocinante -- There are opportunities for those without working papers and native English speakers are in high demand. Do you already have a place to stay in Madrid? Rent in Madrid is very expensive and is very difficult to find something reasonably priced. Avoid the apartment hunter agencies as a lot of them are hoaxes to cheat you out of your money. Definitely check out Tracy´s page ( www.expatriatecafe.com ). It addresses many issues such as working papers, job offers, tips and techniques...

There are lots of us here willing to echarte una mano so just ask!!

#40793 - 12/24/01 09:56 PM Re: Job networking
Rocinante Offline

Still in the process of combing through all of the extensive material on Expatriot page - very helpful by the way.

I have seen a few appartment classifieds renting rooms in flats in Madrid. I saw numerous adds with this and other ammenities included (the only thing I really like is a washing machine in house; everything else is gravy) from 35000 to 50000 pts ($190 - $270. Does this mean per month? If so that's a hell of a lot cheaper than what I'd be paying here in St. Louis. I could afford a lot more than that buy the way.

Another thing. I've always assumed Madrid the best place to go for a few reasons: I've been there and know it well enough, centrally located for travel, cosmo city with demand for English speakers. Is there any advantage then in going to a smaller city, like Valladolid or Burgos, for example, which have less opportunities but perhaps less native English speakers coming through for extended periods of time looking for work as opposed to Madrid where it seems like an endless stream of people are looking to do the same thing and therefore makes it more competetive? rolleyes

#40794 - 12/29/01 12:07 PM Re: Job networking
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
The rent sounds monthly. You might want to check the neighbourhoods first if it sounds too good to be true.

Madrid is probably your best bet. I've lived in Barcelona for almost 2 years now and I find it pretty provincial, I imagine Burgos and Valladolid would be the same or worse.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments