Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#40719 - 08/13/01 04:00 PM Moving to Vitoria or Zaragoza
travelinhobo Offline

Loc: Virginia, US
I'm going to be moving to Espana en 6 weeks. It will be a permanent move (I hope) by choice. I thought I had decided on Vitoria, but then I found out that it is one of the more expensive areas of Spain (I didn't want expensive housing). So now I'm back to deciding between Zaragoza or Vitoria. I plan on teaching English privately (altho I have experience in this, I don't have any cert's, plus no interest in the school thing). Has anyone ever lived in Vitoria o Zaragoza? Is it easy to find private students there? Is the lifestyle in the Basque country very different? How much more is the cost of living in Vitoria? (supermarket food, shared apt.) I've been to Spain twice and can speak spanish, but have never been to either of these cities. My 3rd runner up city is Valladolid.
Thanks for any help you can give me!

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#40720 - 08/13/01 04:29 PM Re: Moving to Vitoria or Zaragoza
SuePycroft Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
My daughter was at university in Zaragoza for 6 months and worked in one of the local Irish bars, part-time. She also teaches English as a foreign language, and found several language schools there, but they all require the Celta and Tefl qualifications (which she has) to teach children or adults on a part-time basis. The only way to teach without a certificate is to do it privately. The University has a job notice board some of which ask for someone to teach their children after school hours and weekends. The city of Zaragoza has many tourist attractions and you will find an array of European students as well as American students based there. The cost of living is reasonable. There are rented apartments around the uni area at a fair rate per month.
I only spent 9 days there in March and really fell in love with it. I stayed in a cheap 2* hotel for 3000pts per night. Not many people speak English except in some of the large stores and a few teenage students, but that did not hinder me in any way.
I wish you well for the future you are about embark upon.
Sue. smile

#40721 - 08/13/01 05:08 PM Re: Moving to Vitoria or Zaragoza
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
While I've been to both your first and second choice, I'm more qualified to comment on your third choice: Valladolid.

I lived in Valladolid for a period of four months about ten years ago, and have re-visited the city on three occasions since (most recently in 1999). As this is a university town, you will no doubt find a goldmine of "clases particluares"-ready students to teach privately.

The rent at the time I lived there for a room and "house privileges" was 12.000 pesetas/month...which was a sweet deal. Housing is fairly abundant, and I could put you in e-mail contact with a student friend of mine in Valladolid if you have to "settle" for third place. As a university town, you'll find rooms to let and roommates to let with you in generally ample supply.

The COL in Valladolid is relatively lower than other more touristy cities, but the size of the city allows it to have all the diversionary activities you could hope for. It is also a little more centrally-located than either Vitoria or Zaragoza.

Post or e-mail me privately should you need more info on Valladolid. Good luck!

#40722 - 08/14/01 03:45 AM Re: Moving to Vitoria or Zaragoza
Anonymous
Unregistered

Travelinhobo:

First, I think maybe you should take a look first and then decide where to live.

Then:

Vitoria: Expensive for Spain, not for foreigner's standards, but since you'll be earning pesetas/euros, ..., it is cheaper than Madrid, but not so much as Valladolid.
About 200.000 inhabitants, well-planned city, cute, but a bit boring. Fortunately it is close to other more lively basque cities like Bilbao and San Sebastián (about 60 to 100 KM). Many people go everyday from Bilbao to Vitoria or the opposite way to work or study.

Zaragoza: May be 500.000. More fun. Cheaper but not too much (all the North is much more expensive than the South). The Earth Army Academy (¿English classes?). Also charming places like the cathedral.

Valladolid: More or less same size. South from the others. Half way to Madrid. Universitary nightlife. The cheaper of the three. Fun if you are under 25 or join them. Possibilities of work w/the many students who attend classes there.

However, although it is a long time since I lived there, I would check that the prices Calibasco refers to are still in the market. The mentioned above are very cheap in my opinion, unless you are sharing a big apartment between 4+ people, scarcely or poorly furnished - a student's apartment. But I may be wrong.

#40723 - 08/14/01 04:47 PM Re: Moving to Vitoria or Zaragoza
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Yeah...I intentionally mentioned the date since I knew 12K was cheap for a piso. As I mentioned though, availability should be fairly common in Valladolid.

#40724 - 08/17/01 06:37 PM Re: Moving to Vitoria or Zaragoza
paxaran Offline

Loc: New York City
I never lived in Vitoria or Valladolid, but I have spent much time in Zaragoza. Since I stay with family when I go, I cannot comment of rent prices. But I can comment on the night life, which is very fun, but then again so is most of Spain. Also Zaragoza is an easy bus or train ride to Pamplona, San Sebastian, Barcelona (a little longer ride, so preferably by train) and the mountains with towns like Jaca where you can have fun and ski, etc. Anyway, I hope this info is in the least bit helpful to you.

Robert

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments