MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#40637 - 04/15/04 02:10 PM Re: Working/Moving to Spain
RasBoriqua Offline

Loc: Humacao, Puerto Rico
Thank you MissMadrid98, well said.

Several years ago I moved to Madrid. It was hard at first, being a black latin (South Bronx, New York) with dreadlocks.

Anyway, I quickly made friends and they were able to help me fine work in Leganes(teaching english, under the table)also as a dish washer (free food & drink).

The spaniards (nuevo generation), are great people to be with, especially when they get to know who you really are.

So money wasn't really important. A cheap pension, and buspass was all I really needed.

I encourage all to just do it (moved to Spain).
Be real,be yourself, be happy. We only have one life to live, so LIVE.

Word of caution, keep a low profile, don't draw to much attention to yourself. That's how I was force to return to the U.S.

Yes, I'm returning, this time with a little extra cash to pay for my pension several months in advance and much wiser (cut the dreadlocks off).

Also, thanks to Madridman, for an excellent website.

#40638 - 04/15/04 03:09 PM Re: Working/Moving to Spain
Madrid Ex-Ex-Pat Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi Chica! Thanks for the feedback. You are correct, I should clarify my opinion. Seeing as how many Americans come from cities/towns without public transportation and rely heavily on their cars, I think that living inside the M-30 would be a good start.

But you make a good point. It really depends on your lifestyle. For me, living up North would have proven very expensive in cab fares when the Metro closes. Also, I just enjoy being able to walk everywhere! Actually it's what I miss the most. I actually hate my car- how very un-American of me!

Of course, where you work is a significant consideration. I worked in the center, so it made sense for me.

#40639 - 04/17/04 04:50 PM Re: Working/Moving to Spain
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Madrid Ex Ex-pat... thanks for the clarification.

I agree with you in that most of the action is definitely within the M-30 beltway, especially if you don´t have a car but I have to tell you...

I live in the northern part of the city (Plaza de Castilla) practically on the M-30 beltway, and what is the most convenient thing about where I live is that I have 3 metro lines, at least 15 different urbano bus lines and who knows how many inter-urbano bus lines at my fingertips... as well as immediate entrance onto the M-30, M-40, M-607 and the N-1. It´s like living in the best of both worlds.

However those of you who aren´t familiar with the city shouldn´t be afraid of not living within the beltway. One of the most populous neighborhoods of Madrid, Barrio del Pilar, just about straddles the beltway and is readily served by two different metro lines as well as many different bus lines.

If I am not mistaken, the Metro de Madrid is making plans to open 24 hours...

Can someone confirm this?

#40640 - 04/17/04 05:13 PM Re: Working/Moving to Spain
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
Quote:
If I am not mistaken, the Metro de Madrid is making plans to open 24 hours...

Can someone confirm this?
There are the politics' intention, and very advanced studies to do so, but only on weekends (i.e nights of Fridays and Saturdays).

Pro: Better service.
Cons: Less time for maintenance, high cost for the few passengers expected, and need of rearranging Metro workers' shifts.

There was a proposal to close at midnight from Sun to Thu rather than 1:30am like now, to allow more time for maintenance, but the users' feedback was not too enthusiast. Some experts said that it would be less expensive to pay a taxi home for every passenger in late night than to keep the Metro open. Still waiting for the final decision.

#40641 - 04/20/04 08:46 AM Re: Working/Moving to Spain
SRedw Offline

I have to agree with all who say just do it. I , personally, have no interest in moving back to the US. I need something different in my life right now.

I also agree with the low profile. I get on the bus every morning, go to work, and come home.

Think your decision through before you do it, but don't let fear stop you. Give it a try for 1 year and if you feel you can do it, give it another year.

Speaking of living situations,

I live in Ríos Rosas and I have access to:

Metro lines: 1,2,4,5,6,7,8,9, and 10 (to get home)
Buses: 1, 3, 5, 7, 12, 16, 14, 27, 40, 45, 147, 149, 150 and C (to get home)

I wouldn't change my situation for the world.

Give it a go and don't let negative thinking and fear stop you.

Shawn

#40642 - 04/22/04 07:11 PM Re: Working/Moving to Spain
Doug316 Offline

RasBoriqua, can you elaborate on your story of being sent home? What got you in trouble? Did you get fined? Will re-entry into Spain be a problem? This would be good info for many of us I'm sure.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments