Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#40470 - 03/19/01 07:35 PM Re: american in Spain (working illegally)
connie Offline

Border controls in Spain might have become stricter, too. I have heard that after the new Ley de Extranjeria has entered into force, it is more difficult for non-EU foreigners to work in Spain.
I would take a roundtrip ticket in any case- it is not worth to take the risk, and one way is hardly ever cheaper than a good deal for a roundtrip ticket anyway.

#40471 - 03/24/01 05:32 PM Re: american in Spain (working illegally)
Jasonbrooks72 Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
I have found another website (sees to be good) concerning cheap airline fairs. Airtech.com. As long as you are flexible with departure dates, you can recieve big discounts. I think I am going to go with the one way ticket to Spain. Even though my classes go on in Barcelona for only 90 days, I'm hoping I won't have a problem with customs. If worse comes to worse, I can use the same approach to return to the States, even though I plan on staying and working in Spain without papers after 90 days. If I must leave the country, I could just hop up to France, and then return to Spain. Am I being too naive regarding this whole visa process?

#40472 - 03/24/01 08:30 PM Re: american in Spain (working illegally)
nevado Offline

Hopping to France will do you no good. You must leave the EU if you're looking for a stamp.

#40473 - 03/24/01 08:54 PM Re: american in Spain (working illegally)
Jasonbrooks72 Offline

Oh - how about portugal? Is there a certain amount of time you must leave for?

#40474 - 03/26/01 03:10 AM Re: american in Spain (working illegally)
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
You have to go to Marocco for a stamp. Portugal and France are both EU members. You can try Switzerland too but when I went they didn't even look at my passport. It was raining and Mr. Policeman did not want to leave his little hut.

#40475 - 03/28/01 06:49 PM Re: american in Spain (working illegally)
Jasonbrooks72 Offline

I think Morrocco will turn into one of my best friends. (I believe this post will earn me a coveted 'flaming folder' - I hope so

#40476 - 04/05/01 06:30 PM Re: american in Spain (working illegally)
Flamenco01 Offline

Also, if you don't want to go all the way to Morocco, you can go to Andorra, it's much closer.

#40477 - 04/12/01 11:54 AM Re: american in Spain (working illegally)
kbc123 Offline

Loc: Barcelona, Spain
I bought a stand-by voucher with Airhitch which sounds similar to what you bought through Airtech, Jason, but a word of warning, sometimes companies drop Airhitch and no longer accept the vouchers. This happened to me and I had to turn in my vouchers plus some extra cash to trade them for a ticket. Also, I just bought a cell phone (one with a card, not a contract) for 10.000 pstas. I receive calls from anywhere free and they give you a card worth 4.000 pstas with your purchase. Much cheaper than the US... Anyway, good luck. laugh

#40478 - 04/12/01 12:14 PM Re: american in Spain (working illegally)
Jasonbrooks72 Offline

I actually bought my plane ticket through student council travel/ round trip from Boston to Barcelona for 740$. I am able to change the date on the back end for only 25$ so this seems like a pretty good deal - I have one layover in Belgium. I decided to bypass the uncertainty of Airhitch.

#40479 - 04/19/01 12:50 PM Re: american in Spain (working illegally)
kerry Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Back to the insurance thing- I lived in Spain on a tourist visa for 6 months and would have stayed longer if I didn't nearly get deported. I got private health insurance which is the same as it is in the USA- the company was called Sanitas. It costs 20,000 ptas every 3 months but they may have other types of coverage. You can also get travel insurance in the USA which will cover you in case of an emergency. I didn't have any trouble renting an apartment, and my boss hooked me up with a bank account.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments