Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#40401 - 01/18/01 12:04 PM I work in Spain......
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
This is basically a reply to a question posed by Nosy Jen (Sorry Jen, just kidding!) under the title “De Donde Eres” in General Chatter. I thought I would post it here, as I have lived in Spain for nearly fifteen years and during that time I have worked illegally (I thought my employers had the paperwork in hand!) and been fined (my employers paid the fine of 500.000 Pts in 1986, no small sum then!) and threatened with deportation for doing so. I worked as an employee for that company, I have drawn unemployment benefit (115.000 Pts a month in 1992 - again no small sum!) and also I have worked on a self employed basis. So I suppose that I know a bit about the system here and hopefully will be able to answer any questions that anybody who is thinking of employment may have.

Having said all that, bear in mind that I am British and as a member of the EU life is so much easier for us now, with regards to the bureaucracy of my adopted country! For non-EU nationals I am sure it is still a struggle, but I may be off the mark there and someone can say otherwise?

To directly answer your question, Jen (and I bet you wish you hadn’t asked now!) I sold houses for 7 years, a couple of years "between jobs" as they say, when I drew the benefit THEN worked in a bar when it dried up - not at the same time, I have to say!

For the last 7 years I've been in a general insurance agency, with mainly expatriates for a clientbase, selling motor, household, marine etc (coincidentally, someone mentioned Sanitas medical insurance a day or two ago, we sell that, too........ I’m not advertising MadridMan, honest!).

Salaries in general are below the amounts one would expect to get in the UK, but then the cost of living is a bit cheaper here and very, very different! We are exploring whenever we get the opportunity and have been to quite a few towns and cities, but we still have so much to see. Any regrets? None at all!

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 01-18-2001).]

#40402 - 01/18/01 12:16 PM Re: I work in Spain......
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Wow, Anchovy Front, you sound like a Man to Know! When I move to Spain and buy a house I will look you up! (That will happen soon if I win a major lottery, or in a few decades when I retire!)

I bet you could write a great book about your experiences. Have you read Spanish Lessons, by Derek Lambert? I didn't like it (it's a bad Spanish version of A Year in Provence, which is much better. Sorry, MM.)You should consider writing a book to beat it. I bet you could!

#40403 - 01/18/01 12:32 PM Re: I work in Spain......
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
Thanks AF, my curiosity is now satisfied!
I never thought real estate and insurance sales could sound so nice!!
Enjoy...

#40404 - 01/19/01 08:22 AM Re: I work in Spain......
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
You're welcome, Jen. The job is a means to an end, which is to enjoy the rest of the week. Hard work, but with rewards. Not quite one long holiday!

I bought a word processor, Diana, when I was out of work and wrote the novel that is supposed to be in all of us. I really enjoyed doing it and couldn't wait to find out what would happen next, when each day I sat down in front of it after my morning cafe con leche! Unfortunately, I touted it round a few publishers in London and they didn't share my view that it was a blockbuster! But I enjoyed the experience immensely and who knows I may dust it off again one day.

In the meantime, try "Driving Over Lemons" by Chris Stewart, the ex-drummer with Genesis. I think you'll like that one.

[This message has been edited by Anchovy Front (edited 01-19-2001).]

#40405 - 01/19/01 12:14 PM Re: I work in Spain......
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Thanks for the recommendation, Anchovy Front - I will definitely look it up!

How about publishing your book on the internet?

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments