Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#40354 - 11/17/00 07:25 PM International Companies to Spain
Jaime Offline

Hi All, I graduate in a couple months with a double major in Spanish and International Relations. I am not looking to relocate to Spain but I am going to be doing a job search for international companies looking for sales people and account execs that perform periodic(monthly)sales calls. Basically I want to be able to travel and use my language skills in business. Are any of you business people out there familiar with any US based companies that have offices in Spain? Thanks in advance!

#40355 - 11/17/00 07:52 PM Re: International Companies to Spain
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
wow jamie there are soooooooooo many, where do you begin. i would start with all major companies and products like, levi's, kraft, hewlett packard....... all major internet browers and providers as well have offices there like. excite, yahoo and so forth. It's just tedius but start looking cause there are alot of companies out there. Go to major job sites and search internationally, alot will come up there. With your degrees and qualifications you have a good chance of finding something. (well alot better of than me) good luck man!!!

------------------
Spain Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98

#40356 - 11/17/00 08:31 PM Re: International Companies to Spain
Jaime Offline

I actually have subscribed to about a million jobsites, even those specializing in people with bilingual skills. The major companies, like the ones you just mentioned, are never there for some reason. Most are either jobs in the low end, Spanish speaking parts of the country that need reception and telemarketers that can speak, or the extremely high end; those that require 5 years or more experience in upper management. Its really pretty frustrating. Anyways I'm going to keep looking. Anymore suggestions would be great I just wasn't aware of what US based companies are in Spain so that helps alot. Thanks.

#40357 - 11/18/00 11:21 PM Re: International Companies to Spain
paco65 Offline

Loc: Los Angeles Ca USA
Hi Jamie!
Did you think about working the other way around?
Getting a Spanish company doing biz in the USA?
I know it sounds to ease but I had to ask.
Good luck
Paco.

#40358 - 11/20/00 01:40 PM Re: International Companies to Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Jaime! I think Paco65 has THE BEST idea. BUT, try to name 1 or 2 companies in the USA FROM Spain? I'm sure they exist, but I can't think of any. It would certainly help the transition to their headquarters in Spain.

Also, keep in mind the extremely HIGH unemployment rate in Spain AND the law that says all companies must first consider ALL Spaniards for job before looking elsewhere. I wish you the best of luck, but I think, maybe, your goals are a bit too high. I too would want a job in Spain that would allow me to travel.. and I'm sure they exist, but I would think most of those jobs are going to THE TOP, THE CREAM OF THE CROP! Hopefully you are one of these people.

Along the same lines, having been asked this question about a thousand times ("Hey! Why don't you try to get a job with an 'American' company in Madrid?") and after spending years looking for ways to find meaningful work in Madrid, I have some knowledge about this topic.

While I haven't physically visited any 'American' company in Spain, it's my strong impression that if I did I would see that probably 90+% of employees would be Spanish and the rest, nearly, are fluent in Spanish and European nationals.

How many Japanese nationals work in the Honda car manufacturing plants/factories here in Ohio/USA?? Probably almost none unless they're in higher management. I believe it's the same in Spain.

Again, my strong impression is that if I wanted to "go that route" I would have to start working for "XYZ 'American' Company" here in the USA, work for several years and work up to a position that could allow me to have a "temporary assignment" in "the foreign office".

I could be totally wrong (and hope I am), but..... Best of luck!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#40359 - 11/21/00 06:47 PM Re: International Companies to Spain
Jaime Offline

Thanks for your responses. It does seem pretty unlikely. I guess I was thinking it would be easier because it is not that hard to get work for US companies going to Latin America. Thanks again.

#40360 - 12/12/00 03:50 AM Re: International Companies to Spain
MunchiMike Offline

Loc: San Francisco, California, U.S...
Dear Jaime, there may another way around this;......have you considered a compant in an other EU country that mat need YOUR skills in Spain. Isn't it true that as Versatile gringos , our skill base is valuable to other countries as well, but my psychic impression is that you must GO THERE!! walk the coast, wander in the hills, engorge yourself on the aromas, and then consider, and go right to the source, these cyber interviews are so 'pale' next to your colors........Rev, Mike

#40361 - 12/13/00 01:38 AM Re: International Companies to Spain
mencey Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
How abot working in the hotel industry? Have you tried Marriott or Hyatt?I'm almost positive both have hotels in the peninsula

#40362 - 12/16/00 07:13 PM Re: International Companies to Spain
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Hi all,
I am graduating from college in May and I absolutely NEED to move to Spain. I "studied" in Salamanca last spring and I can't stand being away from Spain! I am interested in finding some sort of job in Madrid, I was hoping for some advice but from what you replied to Jaime I got sort of discouraged. But there has to be something? Does anyone know how to go about getting a job teaching English in Madrid? I don't care how much money I make, I just want to be there legally... Thanks!

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 12-16-2000).]

#40363 - 12/18/00 01:27 PM Re: International Companies to Spain
connie Offline

If you need so much to live legally in Spain, why don't you go as a student and matriculate at a language school or the university? Once you live there, you might find an employer ready to organize all the paperwork in order to get a residency visa/working permit. It won't be easy, though. From the non-EU citizens working there, I always heard that they did not find a company ready to do it for them-either they hired them under the table or they were not interested in hiring them because of the lack of papers. Still, it should not be impossible either.
Anyway, if it is crucial that you go now and that you live there legally, I would go to study there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments