Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 11 12 >
Topic Options
#40033 - 06/21/00 05:57 AM Re: Should MadridMan go to Spain?
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
If you're working in software/web design, how important is it to be physically present at the workplace these days? What I'm getting at is, would it not be possible to do work for US companies while being physically out of the country? Or is there some law against that?

Saludos!

#40034 - 06/21/00 06:30 AM Re: Should MadridMan go to Spain?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Good point, El Boqueron! You're the 2nd person to mention this to me. I'll have to look into it. And while their 200.000 pesetas wouldn't be enough to live here in the US (I made this amount when I was in college working retail!) maybe they could halve the salary and the duties, bypass the need for a work visa/permit, and not (possibly) have to pay other taxes/fees for having an on-site employee. We'll see how this goes. Still, I won't be living on the Costa del Sol.. UGH!

I sent an email to the owner/boss of the company, but he's out of town in Sevilla for a few days. I'll let you know what he says as soon as I know.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#40035 - 06/25/00 06:36 PM Re: Should MadridMan go to Spain?
Akordish Offline

Loc: Pozuelo de Alarcon, Spain
I love your forum!! I'm ready the message board as my husband and I and our 7 month old, have an extended vacation in Connecticut - awaiting the approval of his work and residence permits. Every worldly possession is sold and the house is empty and on the market... we had intended to be in Madrid June 1st - but have now become personally acquainted with the way things work... We're independent contractors/self employed with a company expanding into Europe, with Madrid being our entry. We're pumped! Life's just far too short. Go for it! Bright and independent people are marketable everywhere (that's your security). I'd hire you - but they've restricted us to 15 work permits and then we have to hire natives, or others there legally already.

#40036 - 06/25/00 09:01 PM Re: Should MadridMan go to Spain?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

HIRE ME!! HIRE ME!!!! PLEASE!!!!!
If you have 15 work permits allowed couldn't you spare ONE of those for MadridMan?? I'd MUCH rather live/work in Madrid than the beautiful Costa del Sol. You see, if I live in Madrid I'll be have free logding with friends and this is not possible with the other job possibility.

I just heard that monthly rent on the Costa del Sol could be about 40,000 pesetas per month for a small apartment, but that during July and August the rent could skyrocket to around 200,000 pesetas - MY ENTIRE MONTH'S SALARY!! I'm shocked to see that a landlord 'could' raise the rates on me with a lease agreement, but maybe *IN* the agreement itself it states that a higher rate will be expected during those 2 summer months. Incredible.

SO, HIRE ME!! HIRE ME!!! What's 1-in-15 work permits?

Saludos, MadridMan

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 06-25-2000).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#40037 - 06/26/00 10:33 AM Re: Should MadridMan go to Spain?
davej Offline

Loc: Nerja, Málaga, Spain
You are not wrong about rents down here, MM. In fact, it's very difficult to find anyone willing to give you a 12 month rental contract on an apartment, because they know how much they can make in July & August.

#40038 - 06/30/00 10:39 AM Re: Should MadridMan go to Spain?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Here's the final word on the current offer with the Dot.com company in Andalucia, Spain. They have removed their offer upon learning that I have no (web) graphics design experience. They said there MAY be an opportunity in the future during their next expansion for an assistant web designer (but, of course at a lower salary = below poverty level) or editor.

They also told me that they hope to open an office in Madrid and that this would be perfect for me so at least they're STILL considering me.

In the meantime, I hope/expect to take some courses on web design (including graphics design) at the local college to improve my future possibilities (AND my website!).

The reason why I have no graphics designing experience is because all my website graphics are simple and readily available on the web. Those which are customized are done by my online "associates". Also, have you priced ANY web graphics design software lately? SHEESH! They're like $300-$700 and this is WAY over MadridMan's budget.

So, I'll keep you all posted on this thread if anything turns out/up for me in Madrid and with future possibilities. Thanks for caring and sharing!

Saludos, MadridMan
---------------------
For books on Spain, visit MadridMan's ALL Spain Market @ http://www.MadridMan.com/allspainmarket.html

#40039 - 07/02/00 07:21 PM Re: Should MadridMan go to Spain?
Akordish Offline

Loc: Pozuelo de Alarcon, Spain
MM - We're still here! Sorry the work permits are already filled and processed. But, we will be hiring people in country. Perhaps, we can help you with options later, when you've made the move... and you will if that's where your heart is. We're hoping the consulate is notified tommorrow or Tuesday and hopefully we'll be on a plane by the end of the week.

#40040 - 07/02/00 07:45 PM Re: Should MadridMan go to Spain?
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
MadridMan, if you are happy with your job here in the US, and you are able to travel to Spain, you really do have the best of both worlds.

In the meantime, it is always interesting considering the possiblities.

Your forum is excellent.

I look forward to your October trip. It gives our school something to talk about. The kids followed your daily postings when you were last in Spain, and they rattled off the details of your adventure with pride and
admiration.

#40041 - 07/02/00 08:05 PM Re: Should MadridMan go to Spain?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hi again, Akordish!
You wrote "Perhaps, we can help you with options later, when you've made the move... and you will if that's where your heart is."

The problem with this is that one cannot "make the move" UNLESS they have a work visa supplied for them (assuming they're coming from OUTSIDE of the EU that is) before arriving.

The people for whom you have already prepared/processed work permits are the lucky ones. They didn't have to "make the move" before you offered them a job.

This is the problem. One cannot get hired UNLESS you have a work visa and if you have citzenship you can work wherever you want. I have neither.

Dreaming of life in Madrid,

MadridMan

#40042 - 07/05/00 02:12 PM Re: Should MadridMan go to Spain?
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
MM, I love Spain and I miss it so much but I don't want to work there anymore. They hire you with "contratos basura": they ask you for degrees, experience, languajes... but they only offer very low salaries. I am making in USA three times as much I made in Spain, here I am only an Administrative assistant, in Spain I was a Public Relations, graphic designer, secretary, and I don't remember how many things more at the same time. I love my country but if I were you I would go there only for vacation.
Good luck.

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 11 12 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments