Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#40019 - 06/16/00 07:47 AM working in valencia
kirsty Offline

Loc: thailand
can anyone out there help?
we are considering a move to spain - to teach in valencia - from thailand.( it won't be hard to leave the go-go bars behind, although the beaches are a different case...) but the pay deal seems pretty low in spain- 195 000 per month ...and so far only one of us has been offered a job. would two people who enjoy enjoying life be able to live reasonably comfortably on this amount? is valencia a good place to start getting to know the spain that MadridMan is so delightfully passionate about?
thankyou!

#40020 - 06/16/00 08:06 AM Re: working in valencia
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Kirsty! I've never been to Valencia (YET!), but I don't believe it's one of the more expensive regions in Spain.

You're right 195,000 pesetas per month doesn't sound like much at all, but JUST last night, AGAIN, I was offered a webdesign job with a DOT.COM company on the Costa del Sol paying just a little more than 200,000. I was told that while it's not a lot of money it's not as expensive to live in Spain as it is here in the US. But still, I make quite a bit more than that already. BUT, I'm NOT in Spain!

Maybe the thing to do, for both of us, is to DO IT, work at the job offered, take what's paid, and with time and experience move on to another, better paying job.

IMPORTANT: Be sure the company who offered you a job is REALLY willing to get you a work visa. MANY companies will say something like, "Come over and we'll work on getting you the work visa." I am a little uncomfortable about this way of doing things. I fear that oftentimes the company has no intention of getting you that work visa and, before you know it, you're working illegally in Spain because your visitor's visa has expired and you don't yet have a work visa.

En fin, I'm not so sure that TWO people could live comfortably on 195,000 pesetas per month. In fact, I'm not at all convinced that ONE person can live comfortably on that amount. Maybe there are some Spaniards reading this now who can enlighten both of us.

For me, I can ONLY HOPE that this opportunity WOULD lead to something in my favorite city - MADRID!!

Saludos, MadridMan
--------------------
Love books about Spain? Visit MadridMan's ALL Spain Market @ http://www.MadridMan.com/allspainmarket.html

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 06-16-2000).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#40021 - 06/16/00 10:43 AM Re: working in valencia
nevado Offline

Valencia is a great place to be, especially for its nightlife and beaches! One person can live comfortably on 195.000 pts/month but I fear two wouldn't. Granted, you're going to have to be wise with your money but it is certainly feasable for one to live on that salary (many young Spanish don't even make that). If you are EU citizens, you should't have a problem finding work for your mate. I'm not sure about working illegally in Valencia however. How many hours would you be working for 195.000 pts/month? You could always supplement your income by teaching private classes in the evening.
MadridMan is right about companies promising you a work visa and not being able to obtain one. If you stay in Spain long enough you may qualify for an amnesty (they just had one earlier this year). Every so often they grant residency to people who can prove they've been working in the country for the past X amount of time.
As for you MadridMan, just go for it!!!! What do you have to lose? You seem to love Spain as much as the rest of us, just go!!! Have you read The Drifters? "Don't put off for tomorrow what you can do today, if you like it, you can do it again tomorrow" You can be wealthy in the US or happy in Spain!

#40022 - 11/30/02 07:51 PM Re: working in valencia
GuiaGuiri Offline

Loc: New England, USA/València, Esp...
Hi Kristy, I have only just noticed your questions. I wonder how you ever made out with your interest in València? I have friends who keep a home in rural Thailand, Issan, and I may go visit for the first time wiht them in the fall of 2003. I am working on getting them to join me in Spain sometime soon too, maybe you could give me some perspective on Valencia from your point of view, coming from Thailand and all...

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments