Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#39999 - 05/08/00 11:32 PM jobs in Madrid
sullivanj9 Offline

Loc: Monterey, CA USA
I was just wondering if you had any insight/contact information about jobs in Madrid other than teaching English for a fellow Yankee. I lived in Madrid for 2+ years after attending La Complutense. I am a graduate student now studying International Policy Studies, and want to get back to Madrid desperately. I feel like I have exhausted the Internet research options,(mostly internships that you pay for) and wanted some personal advice from an American ex-pat.(for example is your web site doing so well now that you are hiring help?) I know Madrid extremely well and am fluent in Spanish. Any advice would be appreciated.

hasta pronto,

Jackie

#40000 - 05/09/00 05:27 AM Re: jobs in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi sullivanj9!

The absolute BEST resource on 'net for expats working in Spain would be "The Expat Café" by Tracy Moral. This woman is a wealth of information. You can view her website @ http://members.home.net/tracy.moral/ . It includes info on how to get work, teaching English in Spain, the visas/work permits necessary to work in Spain, and other useful things.

Tracy has also recently been "drafted" as an eDreams Madrid guide (see her section @ http://www.edreams.es/edreams/espanol/dreamguides/dreampage_english.jhtml?GUIDEID=16516 )

I can tell you, however, that it is really very difficult to find LEGAL work in Spain with their struggling economy. People tell me stories about how they worked for months/years in Spain, all the while getting paid under the table and not having a work permit/visa. I don't recommend this because if you're caught you are deported and banned from the country for 10 years. Can you imagine MadridMan being BANNED FROM SPAIN??It would kill me.

Still, with your experience studying in Madrid, the degree that you have, AND being able to speak Spanish already I would think you have a better chance than most.

Thanks for asking, but MadridMan.com is not at the point yet of hiring people to help with the website. HOPEFULLY one day, though. As you can imagine, it takes nearly ALL my waking hours after/before work to maintain it. Oh, I really love it though.

I wish you the best of luck, Jackie! Prepare yourself for a difficult journey, but with persistence something might just happen!

Saludos,

MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#40001 - 05/12/00 10:17 AM Re: jobs in Madrid
Tracy Moral Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Wow! Too much of a compliment...but I'll take it anyway )

Your best bet, Sullivanj9, is to find an American company HERE in the US with a branch office in Madrid or Spain. The Almanac of International jobs and Careers, by Ron Krannich is a great resource in helping you locate US Companies with offices and subsidiaries in Europe. But as it stands right now, being "sent" to a prime location like Spain is usually given to the top employees. Nevertheless, that's probably your best chance.
You could also, in a round about way, go to Spain, apply for positions of your choice through a company WILLING to apply for a work permit for you, COME BACK to the US to wait out the processing of your paperwork and then return as a legal employee in Spain. For more info on working legally in Spain, visit the Spanish Consulat's website in NYC: http://www.spainconsul-ny.org/!consula.doi/visasing.htm

Good Luck!

Tracy

------------------
"I Know WHo I Am and Who I May Be if I Choose." Don Quijote de la Mancha, Miguel de Cervantes

[This message has been edited by Tracy Moral (edited 05-12-2000).]

#40002 - 05/12/00 11:14 AM Re: jobs in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

WOW!!! Tracy Moral herself was here!!! We here at MadridMan's Message Board are honored!!! Thanks for joining our group!

This is all great advise that you provide, Tracy. While it's only a hunch, I would think to become one of those "top employs" that have the opportunity to be "sent" to Spain for work would have to have been working for said company for years... UNLESS the new employee is really something special. Correct?

A lot of people...and I mean A LOT of people ask me how they can find work in Spain, but the answer is always the same. IT'S VERY DIFFICULT. And as with anything, with persistance something just may happen.

Thank you Tracy for better informing ALL of us!!

On bended knees and praising the Spain-employment-information-giving ground on which you walk,

MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#40003 - 05/14/00 04:30 PM Re: jobs in Madrid
Balise Offline

Loc: Oregon, USA
Hi all,

Does the difficulty in finding work apply to everything ... even something basic and not lucrative like being a waiter or waitress?

#40004 - 05/14/00 06:41 PM Re: jobs in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hi Balise! Tracy Moral is better equipped to answer this than me, but I would say that unless you are from one of the EU (European Union) nations that yes, it applies to everything. That is to say, it applies to all legal work as a work permit/visa is required to work in Spain if you're from outside of the EU.

I have heard stories that people are doing just what you mention, tending bar or working as a waiter and being paid "under the table", but this is still illegal work and I don't advise it. I know I MADRIDMAN wouldn't want to be caught and banned from my favorite country! ARGH!!! It would be the emotional death of me! 8-( hehehehe..

I would suggest visiting Tracy's website @ http://members.home.net/tracy.moral/ and get the inside story on the ins-and-outs, ups-and-downs, and pro-and-cons about working in Spain. She's the TRUE expert!

Saludos,

MadridMan

#40005 - 05/15/00 09:54 PM Re: jobs in Madrid
miles Offline

Loc: atlanta georgia usa
Owning a business in spain can be an easy in, if you have the capitol. I owned a bar in Andalucia a few years back. The first step is to get the latest rules from the Spanish counsulate that serves your region. (This is in reference to citizens of the U.S.) On the east coast there is one in New York, D.C., and Miami. They will tell you that it is near impossible, but once you start the process, and have the money, it becomes fluid. The licencing is all done in the local government building in the town where the business is to be started. EVERY step of the process requires a different piece of paper, which costs. The bottom line is a plan and money. It took me three months to obtain a temporary operating licence, which was good for operation. Three months later my official licence was issued. After that, I had to fly back to the Spanish Counsulate in the U.S. to submit my licence and various other items to apply for my residency. One month later I returned to the counsulate to pick up my residency.(A stamp in my passport)
I was in Spain a total of 6 months. A passport is only valid in Spain for 3 months. So, what I did was go to Morrocco for a day at the end of my first 3 months, and at the end of my second 3 months. Come to find out later that I was supposed to go back to the U.S. at the end of my second 3 month stay.

Hope this helps someone out.

#40006 - 05/17/00 10:18 AM Re: jobs in Madrid
Tracy Moral Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Believe it or not, the whole work thing in Europe for nonEU citizens MIGHT (and I say "might" because it may just be an inside rumor)be getting easier for us North Americans. I have UPDATED some valuable work information regarding legal employment in Spain on my site: http://members.home.net/tracy.moral/NEWS/newspg5.htm PLease read the ADDENDUM section for the news I learned from the Immigration Office in Barcelona. It could solve a lot of problems although I am not sure it's 100% within context.

Also, to answer your question Balise, it is generally MORE difficult to get a job in Spain as anything OTHER THAN a teacher of English and the reason is this: Spain prefers to hire its own citizens as opposed to foreigners. If a Spaniard can do the job, they will find a Spaniard. When it comes to teaching English, most Spaniards can't do it so they need to hire from a larger pool of native English speakers...which ultimately means it's easier for "us" to work in Spain as an English teacher in lieu of a waitress or hotel person.
However, many employers in the food and hospitality industry (especially in the south of Spain) will hire illegal Americans or Brits (paying them under the table) because of the enormous English speaking clientele they have. These type jobs are more likely to be found out by the officials though and are a bit more risky compared to the relatively IGNORED illegal English teaching wave.

Hope this helps

tracy

------------------
"I Know WHo I Am and Who I May Be if I Choose." Don Quijote de la Mancha, Miguel de Cervantes

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments