Topic Options
#39948 - 12/28/07 01:04 PM Re: BEWARE OF TRAIN STATIONS
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Valenciano

I know you don't mean to but this statement always drives me crazy. mad frown

Quote:
You must allways be carefully about your things when travelling abroad.
I seem to be careful enough that I've never had this experience before or since, but the level of caution needed to avoid all instances of this kind would put a damper on anyone's vacation.

That is why go to a country in which you must remain hiding in your hotel, racing out only to eat, hopefully at a well-guarded restaurant and not talk to anybody. Who would want that type of vacation? Vacations are for relaxing and discovering new things, not to spend all your time concerned with threats.

I know you mean well, but believe me, the types of crime going on in Spain would be easily cleaned up by a few undercover police around the tourist area and a less than cavalier attitude about tourists being fleeced.

#39949 - 12/28/07 05:04 PM Re: BEWARE OF TRAIN STATIONS
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
We really don't need to be worried when traveling abroad, dampening our enjoyable experience. Just some basic common sense will go far.

Wrapping your bag around you neck and shoulder (men and women) inside of carrying things in your wallet is a great idea. That's what I do. Never take your hands off your luggage. Whenever I'm on the train or sitting at a restaurant I do take off my shoulder bag and I'll literally attach it to my chair or the chair next to me using a rock-climber's latch (not sure what they're called) and that way I can forget it until the time I leave. A moment's worth of prevention can afford me an hour's worth of relaxation.

I have to say that in the USA we don't have the custom or necessity to guard our things very well. It's pretty rare to encounter a purse snatcher, pick pocket, or someone who'll take you briefcase from under your restaurant table.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#39950 - 12/28/07 05:28 PM Re: BEWARE OF TRAIN STATIONS
Valenciano_en_Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Majadahonda (Madrid)
Gazpacho, I completely agree with you.
Sorry, MadridMan explained much better than me what I tried to say. Thanks MM.

Happy new year!!! wave

#39951 - 12/28/07 09:29 PM Re: BEWARE OF TRAIN STATIONS
CascadaDuSel Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL (sometimes Madrid - ...
MM .. they are called carabiners

#39952 - 12/29/07 04:55 AM Re: BEWARE OF TRAIN STATIONS
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
That's it! Thanks, CascadaDuSel! I use the spring-latch ones (style like the yellow one in the image below), wrapping the strap of my bag around a chair and attaching the strap back to itself. It's so fast and easy to use.

Some small bags and carryon bags have detachable shoulder clips at either end. With these, I'll often detach the strap from one end and spider that strap through my other bags and then reattach it to the original clip. That way, if someone trys to lift one bag they'll pull away ALL the bags, causing more notice, of course. I often do this action when sitting and waiting for a bus, train, or even plane if I have more than two bags.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#39953 - 12/29/07 08:19 AM Re: BEWARE OF TRAIN STATIONS
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
Quote:
I have to say that in the USA we don't have the custom or necessity to guard our things very well. It's pretty rare to encounter a purse snatcher, pick pocket, or someone who'll take you briefcase from under your restaurant table.
I think what you mean is that people from small towns in the US aren't used to taking these precautions. People who live in big US cities with tourist attractions already know all this stuff because it is exactly the same (except much more dangerous and scary, because there are also armed robberies). If anything, I was more careful in my hometown in the US because I didn't want to get aggressively mugged. I never, ever carried a purse there.

#39954 - 12/29/07 11:09 AM Re: BEWARE OF TRAIN STATIONS
epaulino4 Offline

Loc: USA
Filbert

I was sad to see that you are pointing to Roumanians and Latin Americans as the possible thieves in Bigfran's unfortunate situation. As an international business traveler, and based on the work and research I do for living, I highly encourage you to stay away from naming suspicious specific ethnicities in this board.

One example: in Madrid, I was robbed my digital camera from my roll away bag at Intur Palacio San Martin and it turned to be the doorman that brought up my suitcase to the room, not a Rumanian, not a Latino, not a Gypsy, just a Spanish guy that had no ethics.

#39955 - 12/29/07 12:09 PM Re: BEWARE OF TRAIN STATIONS
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
epaulino4,

I don't know whether bigfran's assailants were Spanish or otherwise, but mine were definitely non-Spanish, Slavic I believe. I didn't have the peace of mind at the time to ask them their nationality.

In my never to be humble opinion, I believe that the pervasiveness of crime in Madrid is worsened by the immigrant situation. Believe it or not, there was a time when this kind of crime was under control.

Again, I didn't violate any of the "common sense" precautions offered so far on this website and was still stolen from. My point is, once you are targeted, it would take a very fortunate turn of events to escape.

#39956 - 12/29/07 07:30 PM Re: BEWARE OF TRAIN STATIONS
Neddie Offline

Loc: Atlanta USA
....http://www.trifter.com/Europe/10-Ways-to-Get-Robbed-When-in-Europe.66635

...I thought that some may find this interesting!!

#39957 - 12/30/07 08:48 AM Re: BEWARE OF TRAIN STATIONS
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
Neddie,
you made the point by reading the comments on the post you had. It can happened anywhere!!!
common sense and knowing your surrounding is still the best solution anywhere.

as to epaulino4 and Gazpacho, I must said, anybody can do these things ,name calling is not needed. That Spain has more crime today than before...yes it is also wealthy than before, I remember those days when there was no phones and roads to travel by car, but dirt roads and calling from the nearby restaurant. I am old enough to know all stages of Spain modern life.
AND
now its better!!!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments