Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#39831 - 08/22/06 01:48 PM Madrid: Lavapies ¿ Si o No?
SweetLime Offline

Went by the guide book and reserved Hostel in Lavapies (the description is colourful - but does not warn us).

Now, my heart skips a beat everytime i read such mixed views about Lavapies on this forum.Is Lavapies unsafe for young women travelling for the first time?

Am wondering if its best to cancel and book elsewhere. confused

We will also be flying out of Madrid - apart from proximity to site seeing we need to ensure that its safe to travel early morning to the international airport.

So, good folks - give me your views: yay or nay?
Please recommend a safe neighborhood.

#39832 - 08/22/06 08:38 PM Re: Madrid: Lavapies ¿ Si o No?
Dave B. Offline

Loc: Lancaster, Ohio USA
I have a friend who is a Madrid city policeman and I will ask him what he thinks about that area. Right now, he is on holiday in Lanzarote, but he will be back in four days.

I will ask him then, if it is not too late.

He has mentioned the Plaza de la Luna as a bad area at night, but that's all that I recall.

#39833 - 08/25/06 01:58 PM Re: Madrid: Lavapies ¿ Si o No?
SweetLime Offline

Thanks Dave B, that would be splendid!

#39834 - 08/26/06 06:42 AM Re: Madrid: Lavapies ¿ Si o No?
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
Lavapies is a very living neighbourhood with plenty of Indian, Pakistani and Arab restaurants ruled by natives from those areas. And one of the streets in that district, Argumosa, is well famed by its tapas bars. If you look 'excesively' like a first-timer American tourist, maybe your chances of having trouble are slightly higher. But I have crossed the entire area North to South very late at night (well after midnight) and never had a problem.

About travelling to the airport, currently the Lavapies metro station is closed for improvements, but it is expected to be reopened sometime in September, I'd say in the second half of the month.

#39835 - 08/27/06 08:06 AM Re: Madrid: Lavapies ¿ Si o No?
Dave B. Offline

Loc: Lancaster, Ohio USA
Hi SweetLime:

I spoke with my friend and he said that Lavapies
is not so bad, and he feels that you will be fine. He commented that much of Madrid has changed, so common sense precautions are always wise in any part of town. He mentioned a series of areas that he felt were much worse than Lavapies. I saw some of the "bad areas" of Madrid with him, and they looked pretty tame to me, especially when compared to the bad parts of US cities like Detroit or Philadelphia.

As far as looking like a first time American tourist goes, I would not worry about that either, since I don't think you are from the US anyway.

I hope you have a great trip and don't let all of this crime hype worry you. If you have ever been to NYC, Chicago, or LA, you have already survived far worse.

Europeans think skinny pickpockets are criminals, Americans think that big gangbangers with automatic weapons are criminals!

#39836 - 08/27/06 12:45 PM Re: Madrid: Lavapies ¿ Si o No?
shabba53 Offline

Loc: Northern Virginia
The only thing my wife ever complained about when she walked around by herself was some unwanted 'attention' from some of the men. 99% of the time, it's just an occasional whisper or 'hiss' to try to get your attention, but if you ignore them, they won't continue. The worst thing you can do is acknowledge their actions, as that's exactly what they want.

That being said, it only happens every once in a while, and can be disconcerting for women who aren't used to it, but it's mostly harmless.

As with any city, as a female alone, just be aware of your surroundings and be careful. You'll be fine and you'll love the area.

P.S. - Regarding travel to the airport, if the metro isn't open by the time you're there, you can always catch a quick cab. They are all over the place, and are readily available at any time of day or night.

#39837 - 09/13/06 12:39 AM Re: Madrid: Lavapies ¿ Si o No?
SweetLime Offline

Thanks Dave B, cant belive my luck - getting advise from a policeman. thumbsup I shouldnt worry!
Lol!Torrales, am not american, in other countries i get mistaken for a spaniard- lets see what happens in spain...

#39838 - 09/20/06 02:54 PM Re: Madrid: Lavapies ¿ Si o No?
GoMadrid Offline

Loc: California
Well, SweetLime, it doesn't say when you are travelling, so I hope this advice is not too late.

To be honest, I don't know Lavapies, but I do have some advice. Don't stay there.

Stay in an area central to most shopping, bars, restaurants, and yes, tourists. For example, Puerta del Sol. I personally recommend Hostal Adriano, but there are a zillion others in the area.

I know San Francsico very well, and I could stay in some of the more questionable areas, and things would probably be fine, but why would I want to do that.

Stay someplace that you know is not going to be a problem, and if you want to go to Lavapies, well go there.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

And yes, I have survived NYC, Chicago, LA, Boston, etc. because I avoided trouble spots.

Buena suerte !!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments