Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#39565 - 02/14/05 11:34 AM El Gordo (Lottery SCAM)
ELECTRACITY Offline

Loc: CANADA
Just a heads up to all. I just received a letter (from Spain)Claiming that I won ~$815K USD. All I have to do is fax my banking info etc.

This is a FRAUD. The document is printed on a home computer and is full of spelling errors. To some, the document may look real with a "Stamp", addresses, faxes, and other "window dressing". I googled it and found out that similar letters have been sent to Australia, US, Canada etc. Hopefully the authorites are cracking down on this. I am still confused as to how they got my address??
BTW, the letter has a stamp of Spain on it.

#39566 - 02/14/05 12:37 PM Re: El Gordo (Lottery SCAM)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hiya, ELECTRACITY!

These name/address lists get bought and sold hundreds of times and all over the world, often by unscrupulous fraudsters but not always. Oftentimes, legitimate companies' marketing departments buy these lists in order to send you junk mail. Seems to me someone here posted a similar/same letter (s)he received.

Did your envelope have a postage stamp or a postage-machine ink stamp? Is there a Spanish postal code on it? This would indicate the zone from which it was sent but wouldn't necessarily be anywhere near where the fraudster lives.

It's my speculation that this person/these people are most likely not legal citizens of Spain, can't find real jobs, and have no other source of honest income so they do this. The information the sender (legal resident of Spain or not) MIGHT potentially gather from a trusting recipient might not even be used by him/her/them but rather sold to some mafia organization somewhere else in the world.

I think they're tending less to solicite this kind of stuff via email because THAT'S ABSOLUTELY TRACEABLE - as is a phone call. Sending letters, while more costly, is more deceptive - ANYONE can put a letter in a mailbox totally anonymously.

Oh, and I'm sure someone, one of the authorities, is "looking into the matter". rolleyes Don't expect it to go much further than that, though. Remember, there are a few thousand illegal immigrants selling pirated CDs, DVDs, and software on blankets around Spain and the cops just walk-on-by. Some even stop to do some shopping for the family. rolleyes

Be safe! And "Don't take any wooden nickles"! hehhe... laugh

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#39567 - 02/14/05 03:10 PM Re: El Gordo (Lottery SCAM)
ELECTRACITY Offline

Did your envelope have a postage stamp or a postage-machine ink stamp? Is there a Spanish postal code on it?

The stamp is from Spain as is the envelope (I recognize the brand). The letter did not have a machined "stamp" or markings typical of mail that goes though a (spanish)post office. The only markings on it are from Canada post.

The letter is a "form letter" and can be sent to anyone anywhere. The only mention of my name is on the envelope itself.

If it is too good to be true, then it probably is!!

#39568 - 08/23/05 03:14 PM Re: El Gordo (Lottery SCAM)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Woo Hoo! I won a Spanish lottery and didn't even enter! (a SCAM, I know) Note the items in BOLD which are the details of the SCAM:

EURO MILLION LOTTERY INTERNATIONAL
CALLE MOSTOLES 23C PISO 6G 28923 (Calle de Mostoles, 23 is in the postal code 28016 AND NOT 28923) MADRID ESPANA

FROM: THE DESK OF THE VICE PRESIDENT.INTERNATIONAL PROMOTIONS/PRIZE
AWARD..
BATCH: EGGS-541-623-782:
REFERENCE: 67/80/IPD
ATTENTION:AWARD NOTIFICATION.
This is to inform you of the release of the EURO MILLION LOTTERY INTERNATIONAL held on the 10th of augusto,2005.The results were released on the 23rd of augusto, 2005.

Your email address was attached to ticket number 653-908-321-675 with serial number 345-790-241-671 that drew the lucky numbers of 34-32-90-43-32, which consequently won the lottery in the 2nd category. You have therefore been approved for a lump sum of payent of Euros 1,000.000.00(ONE MILLION EURO,ONLY) This is from 20,000.000.00 (TWENTY =MILLION EURO) in cash among the 20 participating finalist playing 6,000 full tickets. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Your fund is now deposited with our Security Company and insured in your name. Due to mix up of some numbers and names, we ask that you keep this award from public notice untill your claims has been processed and the money remitted to your account as this is part of our = security protocol to avoid double claiming of unwarranted taking advantage of this program by participants as it has happened in the past.

All participants were selected through a computer ballot system drawn from 25,000 names from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, North and South America, Middle East and Africa ..we hope your lucky name will draw a bigger cash prize in the subsequent programs. To begin your lottery claims, please contact your claims agent, DR TOM WILLIAMS on email = euromillagent@netscape.net , telphone:0034-649-773-000 (A CELL PHONE NUMBER!!?? with all your information provided that you are the user of this mail, either your country passport or any other indentity (CAN YOU SAY, "IDENTITY THEFT"?!!!).

Remember, all prize money must be claimed not later than two weeks from the day you receive this notification. Any claim not made before this date will be returned to the EUROPEAN UNION MINISTRY OF FINANCE of such country. And also be informed that 1% of your lottery winning belongs to your agent because they are the company that bought your ticket and played the lottery on your name (OH HOW NICE OF THEM TO DO THIS WITHOUT MY PERMISSION OR KNOWLEDGE!! rolleyes ), NOTE this 1% will be remitted AFTER you have received your winnings prize because the money is insured in your name already. Remember to quote your reference and batch numbers in every correspondence with us or your claim agent. furthermore, should there be any change of address, please do inform your claim agent as soon as possible. A copy of your lucky winning ticket and your deposit certificate will be sent to you by your claim agent, DR TOM WILLIAMS .

Once again from all members of our staff and thank you for being a part of our International promotions program. we wish you continued good fortunes.

Sincerely,
MRS,COMFORT JOSE (NICE SPANISH NAME)

http://www.national-lottery.com/resultseuro.asp (website says it's the UK NATIONAL LOTTERY - and yet it's based in Madrid, Spain - innnnteresting...)

(On their page @ http://www.national-lottery.com/scams.htm - which may well be an authentic website being referenced by scammers - they discuss different lottery scams on the internet)

SEND REQUIRED INFORMATION BELOW TO YOUR CLAIM AGENT ( euromillagent@netscape.net) (SMART OF THEM TO USE A FREE EMAIL ACCOUNT)

VERIFICATION FORM
1. FULL NAMES: _______________________________
2. ADDRESS: __________________________________
3. SEX: _______________
4. AGE: ________
5. MARITAL STATUS: ___________________
6. OCCUPATION: _______________________
7. E-MAIL ADDRESS: ___________________
8. TELEPHONE NUMBER: ________________
9. LUCKY MAIN NUMBER: _______________ LUCKY STAR NUMBER: _____________
10.TICKET NUMBER: ___________________
11.REF / BATCH NUMBER: ______________
12.AMOUNT WON: ______________________
13.IDENTIFICATION NUMBER EITHER INTERNATIONAL PASSPORT OR DRIVING
LICENCE / NATIONAL ID CARD.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#39569 - 09/30/05 10:40 AM Re: El Gordo (Lottery SCAM)
ELECTRACITY Offline

Bwaaahaha!
You too?? Gee Madridman, we should compound our winnings and buy the Xanadu mall!

On a serious note people, watch out for these types of scams.

#39570 - 10/26/05 09:53 AM Re: El Gordo (Lottery SCAM)
Guiri Grande Offline

Loc: San Antonio
I get these emails all the time. Every day it is from a different country. Instead of the lottery scam, they tell me that a very wealthy businessman has died in an accident. They even supply links to newspaper articles about the accident.

Supposedly they have looked all over for the next of kin with no luck. confused Then they found my email address. eek

If I supply them with all my personal information, they will send me 45% of this businessman's fortune. They keep 50% and 5% goes to administrative costs.

I wrote one back and told them I would do it if I can keep 85%, they get 10% and the admin costs will be 5%. Needless to say, they did not respond. I just wanted to see if I could get someone to write me back.

Be very careful with your personal information. If they get one piece of information on you, it is amazing what they can access. It is like dominoes falling.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments