Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#39407 - 12/08/04 11:26 PM Re: More explosions reported... by ETA of course
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
I will not ask any questions, Filbert, I am just sorry to hear about it.

As my father, an ex-ARMY drill seargent would say, Ignacio seems 'BIG enuff and UGLY enuff to take care of himself...' laugh Of course since I grew up with that I see it as something a loving father would say, so please don't be offended, Ignacio.

Yes, Puna, it seems like the firecrackers going off on Spain's Constitution Day by ETA is a little bit of:
a.) a cry for attention, and
b.) a slap in the face to the people of Spain that want to be rid of tools like the ETA

But Fernando, with the *heavy* and *excessive*, yes I'm being sarcastic, sentences imposed by the strict Spanish legal system, those ETA guys will get 2 whole years in prison, no? They'll be back out in a handful, at most, years, creating the sames probelms as before... Can you explain to us how that works in Spain?

#39408 - 12/09/04 06:28 AM Re: More explosions reported... by ETA of course
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
As Fernando said, it's about families. I have a particular interest in that Corte Ingés bombing: my daughter and niece (both 15 years old) were in that building that day. Fortunately, they left around 30 minutes before the bomb was detonated.

Warning or not, had they been killed, would I have received any condolences by those who placed the bomb? Or would the death of these two girls have been considered as a regretable but necessary casualty of war?
It's ALWAYS about families, in EVERY aremd conflict, be it a war, guerrilla figtings ot terrorist bombings innocent people die. There were regretable casualties of war in Irak and in Jugoslavia, and everywhere. The difference is that ETA takes more risks, to reduce the innocent casualties to the minimum, not like the USA or any other terrorist organization, guerrilla or army. Will the americans give condolences for their 100.000+ killings of mostly innocents in Irak, plus many times this amount injured or handicapped, and millions of unemployed by the bombings, with it's families suffering hunger?

It's amazingly hypocritical that terrorist governments that massacre, denounce terrorist bands methods. Maybe they don't want competitors? Would be laughable if it wasn't cryable. What moral authority do you (or any) have to criticise that if they have supported Bush after their slaughter, for example?

Quote:
I think my main problem with the terrorist organisation is this quote (provided by Ignacio, but representative I believe of supporters of ETA)
Representative of anybody who knows the reality of the conflict. There is a reason to fight, wrong or not. And there was a goal: independence, that was lowered by ETA later in good-will, to self-determination. This means that they didn't demand inmediate independence, but a referendum for the basque on their future, and taking to practice the results. ETA won't surrender after fighting about 25 years, for peanuts, all the effort would have been lost and their lifes would have had no meaning, that's all.

This is not an unreasonable petition, but the Government feels usually strong to be too proud, and when they feel weak, they don't really have what to offer, for most of Spain is fundamentalist of the Unity of the State, and people would riot.

Quote:
On what basis should a legal government negotiate with gangsters/killers? In the Basque Country there is an autonomous government, with more powers than most in the Spanish constitution. I'm given to understand there has NEVER been a majority vote for the political viewpoints shared by ETA, either for the Basque government or for the central government. I understand that at most 20% have voted for extreme parties there.
That "autonomous government" is nothing but a puppet. A proof is that, when the PP government and the Basque "Autonomous" government disagreed in about 30 million euros of the basque quota (extortion?), the PP GOvernment said they were going to reduce the power of that "government". It's just a local administrator of the occupation forces, a Vichy.

The basque parliament has ALWAYS been from 50 to 66% or more, composed by nationalist parties, although it's true that only about a 15% or 18% "admit" (don't condemn, given circumstances) ETA's methods.

DD:

Quote:
From the way this is written it sounds like Ignacio is endorsing this sort of criminal activty. He compares the ETA to military operations. Military personell wear very distinct uniforms that even show their rank. Their leaders are known to one and all. Journalist and columnist are exercising thier rights to self expression under the law. The death penalty without due process is against the law.
I do not endorse any criminal activity. I am just showing you that it's as criminal as the others that are legal:

Tell about the death penalties and jurys to the dead by USA bombers or the Serbian tanks. It's all the same sh*t. The one who has the power and the guns uses it instead of negotiate and consult the people's wishes. What's bad about a referendum in the basque country and the independence if approved? Nothing, but the Government has the guns and because "spanish nationalist" regions are more and more populated, they have also the parliament power.So, how can we win independence, in case we want it?, I say that because I haven't make up my mind in case it came, and in case o be given the possibility to select, I don't know which side of the border I would stay.

That's for those who call me all but terrorist. I am not defending terrorism, not even independence. What I am defending is that a nation like the basque should have the right to decide it's destiny legally and that I can not blame those who fight for it with guns since legally it's denied to us. You would still be a part of England if you hadn't rebelled.

I don't take pain medication except aspirines but for very exceptional cases. I don't like excesive medicines. Very funny your usual jokes, but no.

Thanks, Filbert.

Megia, Thanks equally. I know you don't mean "let him alone, don't intervene while we fight him dirty" That would be under your level. rolleyes

#39409 - 12/09/04 09:37 AM Re: More explosions reported... by ETA of course
Pingüino Offline

Loc: Destin FL
Hell's Bells! Bu$hitler = Bad. ETA = Good. I didn't ask who was right and I sure as hell didn't ask for a lesson on the morality of armed conflicts. I asked if I would have recieved any condolences from the great minds of ETA if my daughter and niece had been killed.
Yep, I can see it now...they planted the bomb in the Corte Ingles, gave fair warning, and then met in some tasca to give each other the "high-five" sign and congratulate themselves over their brilliant tactical offensive against Madrid.
As for the moral authority...I never presumed to have any. I'm not God. Are you? So...if my daughter and niece had been killed, what would have happened?

Cogito cogito ergo sum cogito

#39410 - 12/09/04 09:54 AM Re: More explosions reported... by ETA of course
Anonymous
Unregistered

What about the nieces and daughters of those your army bombed in Irak, did you or did the USA army send a note of condolence?

#39411 - 12/09/04 10:17 AM Re: More explosions reported... by ETA of course
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
To compare the soldiers of the American Revolution to the ETA is one more example of your convoluted thought process, Ignacio. The over whelming majority of the population in the American colonies wanted independance from England. This does not appear to be the case in the Basque region of Spain. You have also made some other comments that lead me to beleive you endorse the activities of the ETA.

There was no doubt as to who the leaders of the American Revolution were and to their where abouts during the revolution. Most died in poverty or were executed when they were found by the British. I might add that they affixed their signature to a paper know as the "Declaration of Independance." Which was delived to the king of England. Have any members of the ETA signed such a document and deliverd it to the King of Spain????? As bad as I hate to admitt it the colonist were aided in gaining independance by the French. Possibly the last time a French soldier fought and did not get his ass kicked.

I live in a part of the US that was at one time controlled by Spain, then Mexico. None of the changes of power and control were the result of war, and certainly not "terrorist acts."

You seem to feel there is not difference between military operations and terrorist acts. Most rational people would disagree. Militaries operate in the open, terrorist operate in the shadows.

Just remember, "a coward dies many deaths, a brave man only dies once."

#39412 - 12/09/04 10:49 AM Re: More explosions reported... by ETA of course
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, guys, I am kind of exhausted and stresed. I can not answer lots of threads at the same time, I won't sacrifice 6 dayly hours of my free time, and I won't do it at work even if I have free time because it could give me bad reputation.

Time for a vacation from the forum. Enjoy! See you soon!

#39413 - 12/09/04 12:34 PM Re: More explosions reported... by ETA of course
Pingüino Offline

As Plato once said: you are correct in your beliefs...but you still haven't answered my question. I don't think you can or ever will.
But, good luck on your vacation, though. I suppose a rest from us crypto-fascist war-mongering red-state neanderthals will do you some good.

#39414 - 12/09/04 03:11 PM Re: More explosions reported... by ETA of course
steven77 Offline

Maybe hes gone to the gas station.

#39415 - 12/09/04 03:48 PM Re: More explosions reported... by ETA of course
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
I can't help but feel relieved, though, that the ETA are so thoughtful in planning their terrorism. eek frown eek rolleyes Uh, how humane.

#39416 - 12/09/04 05:43 PM Re: More explosions reported... by ETA of course
Pingüino Offline

steven77 laugh

gazpacho,

Ditto that. Especially when no one has the...shall we say the testicular fortitude to explain why two fifteen year olds need to be sacrificed for the glorious revolution. Then again, defending these scumbags can certainly cause exhaustion and stress.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments