Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#39397 - 12/07/04 09:05 AM Re: More explosions reported... by ETA of course
Pingüino Offline

Loc: Destin FL
Does a bomb placed in el Corte Inglés count for the "98 or 99% of the Spanish population as "non target" of ETA?"

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/06/21/spain.blast/

Cogito cogito ergo sum cogito

#39398 - 12/07/04 09:21 AM Re: More explosions reported... by ETA of course
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, guys, my time is limited, not that I can't or don't want to answer, but I am alone here and you are several.

Puna:

Reporters and judges, and politicians, they are all working, and soldiers and policemen too.

But all those dead were activelly fighting the liberty of the basque country to have the chance to self determine it's future. The newspapermen dead were not the kind that report news, but those that form opinion with articles as biased as Fernando posts. Don't forget that Press is the Fourth Power.

Fernando:

Everybody cares for the dead, but not so much not to fight your enemy. Ask any soldier, guerrilla fighter, terrorist or mafia member. Armed actions are like that: You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs. The difference is how many eggs you break. If you break two, you are trying to make an omelette, whereas if you break 2.000 you are simply destroying as many eggs you can.

Pingüino:

When I said 98- 99% I was speaking of people who are not targets. These people at El Corte INglés were warned in advance, so they were NOT the targets.

#39399 - 12/07/04 09:33 AM Re: More explosions reported... by ETA of course
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
The problem is that we are not breaking eggs, but killing, injuring or mutilating people who have mother, father, sons and family.

Fernando

#39400 - 12/07/04 11:46 AM Re: More explosions reported... by ETA of course
Pingüino Offline

Loc: Destin FL
As Fernando said, it's about families. I have a particular interest in that Corte Ingés bombing: my daughter and niece (both 15 years old) were in that building that day. Fortunately, they left around 30 minutes before the bomb was detonated.

Warning or not, had they been killed, would I have received any condolences by those who placed the bomb? Or would the death of these two girls have been considered as a regretable but necessary casualty of war?

What is more, does the demolition of the property someone else justify the means to an end? Ever?

Cogito cogito ergo sum cogito

#39401 - 12/07/04 01:12 PM Re: More explosions reported... by ETA of course
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
I think my main problem with the terrorist organisation is this quote (provided by Ignacio, but representative I believe of supporters of ETA)

Quote:
Until there is negotiation nothing will be ended
On what basis should a legal government negotiate with gangsters/killers? In the Basque Country there is an autonomous government, with more powers than most in the Spanish constitution. I'm given to understand there has NEVER been a majority vote for the political viewpoints shared by ETA, either for the Basque government or for the central government. I understand that at most 20% have voted for extreme parties there.
ETA's position seem to be similar to a gang that say extorts money in a big city. Then the local police try to stop their activities. Various businesses are destroyed; a few people (not too many so as not to appear too bad) are killed. The gangsters then let it be known "negotiate with us on how much we are allowed to extort, and these attacks and killings can stop for a while"
I can see no government that could 'negotiate' under these terms...

#39402 - 12/07/04 05:00 PM Re: More explosions reported... by ETA of course
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
Fernando,

I think you are right... Your analysis, as usual, is very good. And I must say, even though it's been said before, your English skills are outstanding!

I had a chance to speak to a buddy in Ciudad Real about the situation, and I think you are right. The bombs were essentially placed in what amounts to isolated and unfrequented 'bathrooms.' But I still find the sophistication of the exposive devices, which were used to detonate 'firecrackers' ( petardos), to be of interest. Those same detonators can be used to set off 2000 grams, as well as 20 grams, of explosive. ( let's hope it's not 'ecco goma 2')

Seems like the moral of the story is that the people of Spain should really be ( and are) annoyed and fed up with this from the ETA. Not only have the ETA killed many over the years, but they have been known to negotiate who they will and who they will not menace; including a negotiation to not mess with Catalunia.

So now the ETA decide to 'afront' Spain on the day of their constitution's enactment. That's like an attack on the 4th of July for us.

Anyway, there's more to come. I just wish that Zapatero, albeit half-smirking as usual, would simply let his best intel and special forces people loose on the ETA, no holds bared! mad

I love how the media here made it sound like another 11M. It sort of irks me, but I should know better than to put much stock into the hype that is the media! rolleyes

I'm *VERY* happy that nobody died in the 'attacks.'

andrew

[my edit]
ps> thanks for the great link, Puna!

#39403 - 12/07/04 07:06 PM Re: More explosions reported... by ETA of course
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Thanks megia wink

I still have to learn much to have a good command of english though smile

I'm also very happy that noone got killed. Let's hope no more people die in the future. I'm sure that all ETA terrorists will end in prison.

Fernando

#39404 - 12/08/04 08:07 AM Re: More explosions reported... by ETA of course
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Megia writes

Quote:
So now the ETA decide to 'afront' Spain on the day of their constitution's enactment. That's like an attack on the 4th of July for us.
How sadly true - ETA's choice of dates was totally calculated to garner coverage and comments as well as being a monumental slap in the face to everything Spain has been able to achieve since the death of Franco ... including the freedom for all political views and stances to be discussed openly.

#39405 - 12/08/04 08:26 AM Re: More explosions reported... by ETA of course
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
From the way this is written it sounds like Ignacio is endorsing this sort of criminal activty. He compares the ETA to military operations. Military personell wear very distinct uniforms that even show their rank. Their leaders are known to one and all. Journalist and columnist are exercising thier rights to self expression under the law. The death penalty without due process is against the law. His whole argument makes it sound as though he agrees with this sort of cowardice activity. What realy astounds me is he seems to not have a problem with the extortion of the small business owners with the "revolution tax." I think that his pain medication is having an adverse effect on his reasoning.

#39406 - 12/08/04 12:37 PM Re: More explosions reported... by ETA of course
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
Although I agree with most of DD's points here, I wish he hadn't brought in a personal remark about Ignacio's health. It's a fairly volatile subject anyway. Can we keep personal attacks out of this (even faced with objectionable viewpoints)?

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments