MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#39355 - 12/04/04 07:14 AM Re: Explosions reported in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
One can read about the bombings in the front page article in today's English version of El País HERE .

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#39356 - 12/04/04 10:45 AM Re: Explosions reported in Madrid
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Fernando: I can assure you that we have more than just Jesse Jackson. It goes to show just what a weak case the ETA has, that this is the only way they can draw attention to their cause. I am sure that under Spanish law there is some provision to address"a redress of a grievance." This would be within the perameters of the law. Yet this sort of cowardice attack is the method that they use. mad mad mad

#39357 - 12/06/04 08:26 AM Re: Explosions reported in Madrid
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Fernando,

I considered sending you a personal email but then figured I might not be the only one wondering about this issue -

With the advent of the past very successful joint Spanish-French police actions taken under the auspices of the EU international police (forgive me, but I can't think of the proper name)- if Zapatero should decide to "talk" - would the EU anti-terrorist police force still be able to continue arresting ETA members and sealing their arms caches? Also, what would such an action by Z have on the political prosecution of ETA in the Spanish courts?

W

#39358 - 12/06/04 09:00 AM Re: Explosions reported in Madrid
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Hi Puna smile

It is a difficult question to answer...

The joint operations between Spain and France are a consequence of historical agreements, cooperation and billateral cooperation. EU police (Europol) is formed by EU national policemen. Thus, Europol is not an independent police.

But to answer directly your question: I don't believe our Government will do anything but prosecute ETA, and in the case they negotiate with them, they will make ETA unveil their arsenals and destroy their weapons. Of course the spanish and french police will continue to monitor and prosecuting them. We have had enough false ceasefires to believe the next could be fair.

Fernando

#39359 - 12/06/04 09:09 AM Re: Explosions reported in Madrid
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Thank you my friend smile

Also for giving me the word I was missing-Europol!

#39360 - 12/06/04 11:07 AM Re: Explosions reported in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
This morning (Monday) there were ETA-arranged explosives around spain. There were no injuries. Here's part of the USATODAY.com article HERE :

Posted 12/6/2004 8:07 AM Updated 12/6/2004 8:21 AM
Explosions reported in Spain after calls

MADRID (AP) — At least six explosive devices detonated Monday around Spain after telephone warnings from callers claiming to speak on behalf of the armed Basque separatist group ETA, news reports said.

Explosions were reported in Leon and Santillana del Mar in the north, Avila and Ciudad Real in central Spain, Alicante in the east, and Malaga in the south, the news agency Europa Press reported.

The Interior Ministry said it had confirmed at least three explosions. It reported no injuries.

(................)

Another device was defused Saturday in the southern city of Almeria.

Spanish security forces were on alert Monday, a public holiday marking the 26th anniversary of the passage of the Spanish constitution. The document laid the groundwork for Spain's system of granting broad autonomy to regions like the northern Basque country.

ETA wants outright independence for the region and has been blamed for more than 800 deaths in its decades-old campaign of violence.

(read the rest of the article HERE )

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#39361 - 12/06/04 12:15 PM Re: Explosions reported in Madrid
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
It is very sad to read about ETA as "the armed Basque separatist group ETA" frown

It is like if someone called Al-Qaeda "the armed moslems' liberator group Al-Qaeda". It is not only inexact but also somewhat insulting.

I think that some journalists in USA (and other countries) should really rethink how they label ETA and other terrorist groups.

Fernando

#39362 - 12/06/04 03:43 PM Re: Explosions reported in Madrid
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
Hi All,

I've been looking for information on the web about the Ciudad Real ( that's closest to home for me) explosion but have found very little...

If anyone runs across any good links, please post!

ABC Newspaper Online
El Pais Cover Story - 1:42pm MST

thanks.

#39363 - 12/06/04 05:20 PM Re: Explosions reported in Madrid
vicki Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
To add to Megia's request. I am looking for more information on the bomb in Alicante. I have several friends who live there...and I am having trouble finding much info (or getting ahold of them).
Thanks-

#39364 - 12/06/04 06:10 PM Re: Explosions reported in Madrid
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Fernando,

When I was reading the news stories this morning, it struck me that ETA was constantly referred to as "Basques Separatists," or "Basque separatist group," by the media outside of Spain, I did not find them mentioned as a terrorist group or organization.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments