Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#39315 - 10/29/04 10:30 PM Madrid: I lost my fanny (pack) at El Rastro!
Mr Schwump Offline

Loc: Cincinnati
We visited El Rastro last Sunday (10/24) and I had my fanny pack swiped by some skillful theives.
I knew that wearing the damn thing was just one step short of waving Old Glory, as far as marking myself as an American tourist, but my wife had some things she needed me to carry. I was keeping one hand on it and the other in my front pocket, where my money and credit cards were.
We were about to leave when the passage became quite congested and our group of 4 were separated from one another. Looking around for my wife and the others, I took my hand off my fanny pack. All of a sudden some swarthy looking cat came up behind me and acted like he was swatting a bee of my head. That was enough to distract me. In 2 seconds, my fanny pack was gone. We grabbed the guy who distracted me, but he was clean.
The only thing of value I lost was my Palm Pilot. In addition to that (which I'm sure was chucked in the trash) the theives got a half pack of Doublemint and a quantity of tampons. Use 'em in good health, boys.
At no other time in Madrid or Barcelona, did I feel tense about theives or pickpockets. We were aware of the possibility of theft and exercized good caution. The moral of the story is don't drop your guard for a second. And leave the damn fanny pack at home!

Your old pal,
Joe

#39316 - 10/30/04 06:52 AM Re: Madrid: I lost my fanny (pack) at El Rastro!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I'm very sorry Mr Schwump frown

El Rastro is probably the place in which the most skillfull pickpockets operate. Even for a local, there is a good chance of being pickpocketed if you are not extremely cautious.

No matter what police does, when there is a good amount of people on open places there are always pickpockets. They like buses and the subway for the same reason (they can get very close to you without suspects). And they choose tourists because (normally) they are less cautious and they wear things of more value (cameras, more money than necessary,...).

You really have bad luck. For what you said, you were extremely cautious.

Fernando

#39317 - 11/01/04 08:23 AM Re: Madrid: I lost my fanny (pack) at El Rastro!
MedicalMan Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I have been living in Madrid since April of this year and at least 5 of my friends (and visiting family) have had their Walletts and purses snatched. One fella actually got his ID's back in a empty wallett placed in a mailbox though. They are VERY good here and can even unzip, unvelcro, and unsnap pockets before you know what happened. Take only 1 or 2 ID's, a Credit card and some cash when you go downtown and Keep those in your front pocket!

#39318 - 11/01/04 12:43 PM Re: Madrid: I lost my fanny (pack) at El Rastro!
notyor Offline

Loc: Oldham
tampons in your "fanny pack" - priceless!! laugh laugh laugh

#39319 - 11/01/04 12:55 PM Re: Madrid: I lost my fanny (pack) at El Rastro!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
ditto notyor's comment - wish I could have seen the thief's face laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

#39320 - 11/01/04 05:25 PM Re: Madrid: I lost my fanny (pack) at El Rastro!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Errr... I looked up the translation of "fanny", and it was "culo", that is "butt".

Am I right? Was it for safety or aestetic reasons?

laugh

#39321 - 11/01/04 07:18 PM Re: Madrid: I lost my fanny (pack) at El Rastro!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Ignacio, hehee.. yes, you're right. A "fanny pack" is a kind of belt which goes around your waist. On part of that belt there is a small bag with several zippers and compartments into which you can put a small camera, money, small things you can get to quickly and easily - about as quickly and easily a skilled pickpocket can access it too. wink

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#39322 - 11/02/04 02:57 AM Re: Madrid: I lost my fanny (pack) at El Rastro!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks! smile

#39323 - 11/02/04 05:38 AM Re: Madrid: I lost my fanny (pack) at El Rastro!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Here's a photo. I'm sure you've seen them before on tourists:

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#39324 - 11/02/04 06:17 AM Re: Madrid: I lost my fanny (pack) at El Rastro!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ah, yes. We calle it "riñoneras". And I have one or two I never use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments