Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3926 - 04/03/02 10:36 PM Hostal Gran Duque (Madrid)
plumepoppy Offline

Loc: canada
Hi! Has anyone tried Hostal Gran Duque ? The web site looks very attractive. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

#3927 - 04/13/02 06:44 AM Re: Hostal Gran Duque (Madrid)
kakadoo Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain - Perth, Oz
Hi,
Yes, I have been to that place. It is in Campomanes street, it is very clean & rooms are OK. kind reception. Double rooms are aprox 44€ and single around 35€, I believe they have some triples.
It is on the same building as LOS AMIGOS , a cool recently open backpackers´ hostel that I highly recommend for international travellers(check http://www.losamigoshostel.com )
Thats why I know Gran Duque: a friend of mine stayed there because LOS AMIGOS if oten very full.

In the area there is another very nice hostel: Gala (Pza. Sto Domingo, 2) which is better priced than Gran Duque (30 for a double with bath). They are finishig repainting, so it is very clean.

Enjoy Madrid!!

#3928 - 04/13/02 07:21 AM Re: Hostal Gran Duque (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi plumepoppy! And hi kakadoo! Thanks for digging up this 10-day-old posting to add useful information! How do you find them?! And how do you know of Los Amigos? Did you stay there once? I see you're in Madrid. Did you stay there as you were getting settled? What's the name of the owners??? Isn't is "Laura" or something like that?

I haven't stayed at Hostal Gran Duque yet. It's very very new to the internet and you're right, they do have a very attractive (FLASH) website and the photos of the room look very very nice and professional as well.

The location is excellent, just above the Royal Opera House , close to Puerta del Sol/Plaza Mayor, Palacio Real, Metro, everything. I'd LOVE for someone to stay here and give us a review. If only I had time to visit them when I was there last week.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#3929 - 04/14/02 08:08 PM Re: Hostal Gran Duque (Madrid)
plumepoppy Offline

Hi kakadoo and Madridman. Thanks for the observations on Gran Duque. I've made a reservation, so don't worry Madridman, I'll be back with my observations sometime in June. This is a great resource. Keep up the good work! Plumepoppy

#3930 - 06/12/02 05:11 PM Re: Hostal Gran Duque (Madrid)
plumepoppy Offline

As promised, here is my review of Hostal Gran Duque after having stayed there recently for a few nights. This hostal is run by an exceptionally pleasant and kind family. Although they do not speak English, they went out of their way to be serviceable and meet all my needs. The room was very clean, the mattress new & comfortable, and the washroom included a bidet, shower and sink. The toilets are in the hall & kept clean at all times. There is also a lounge for guests that is quite roomy and has television (rooms have tv) and shelves of travel material. As the hostal is located on a side street near the Plaza Opera, I would imagine that front rooms are as quiet as back rooms. I can't think of any down side to this hostal except to say that rooms near the toilets may be a little noisier at night for a light sleeper than other rooms. Still, I don't think that would be a problem for a sound sleeper. Okay, that's the end of my report!

#3931 - 06/12/02 06:18 PM Re: Hostal Gran Duque (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
plumepoppy, thanks for your personal review of Hostal Gran Duque in Madrid!!!!!!

But I'm afraid your report is ONLY beginning. heheehe.. That is to say, if you ever return to read my posting. heheeh..

I have a few other questions for you:
1) You mention the toilets down the hall, do some rooms have in-room bathrooms?
2) Do the rooms have air conditioning?
3) Is there an elevator?
4) Were you bothered by street noise?
5) Did you have a balcony?

Answer these questions and you'll get an "A" on your project. wink Then class will be dismissed. smile

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#3932 - 06/12/02 08:21 PM Re: Hostal Gran Duque (Madrid)
plumepoppy Offline

Hi Madridman! No problem, pleased to answer any questions you may have ...
1) I don't think any of the rooms had toilets, but can't be sure of that. Mine didn't. And there was quite a bit of traveling to the toilets generally-speaking.
2) My room didn't have air-conditioning so I guess the general answer is 'no'.
3) Yes, there is an itsy-bitsy elevator (2 persons who know each other well or who would like to get to know each other well, or the less exciting option of 1 person with luggage).
4) I had a back room so can't really give a definitive answer, but the front is on a side street, and whenever I spent a few minutes in the lounge which is on the street, it was quiet.
5) Well, not a balcony that juts out on the street. The lounge windows opened up to the appearance of a balcony. There was a railing and you could sit at the edge of the window with the impression you were on a balcony. But you weren't ... However, I have the impression most rooms are at the back facing inner courtyards, not at the front.
I hope this doesn't sound too wishy-washy. Oh, and by the way, I don't want an A ... I want an apple! Cheers Madridman. Great site. You must put a humongous amount of work in it.

#3933 - 06/13/02 06:24 AM Re: Hostal Gran Duque (Madrid)
Sonia Offline

Loc: Liverpool
I'm always worried about stepping out on to those pretend balanconies in case they're not structurally sound. eek (Just my personal, neurotic twopen'orth - or two cents worth, even.)

#3934 - 06/18/02 03:35 PM Re: Hostal Gran Duque (Madrid)
Marvilyn Offline

Loc: California
I´d like to add the Hostal review. I´ve stayed there a total of three nights(tonight is my last!) I have a room with a balcony(quite sturdy and safe) overlooking the street and it is very quiet, no street noise at all. They are very nice, great people. The only bummer is the no air conditioning, a fan is provided, but today´s siesta was sticky eek !

By the way, I´ve stayed in two different rooms and had paintings of naked/half naked ladies in both rooms. I think of it as a two for one! Did you have an alluring woman in your room too wink

#3935 - 06/19/02 09:20 AM Re: Hostal Gran Duque (Madrid)
plumepoppy Offline

Hmmm, I remember a sultry lady in one of the two rooms I occupied. That's one thing I liked about the hostel. There were loads of paintings which added a nice touch. I'd seen that before in Spanish restaurants in Paris.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments