Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#39086 - 04/25/04 09:58 PM Madrid: Help-Should i go????
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am really worried about the latest terrorism attack near Madrid frown

Flights are SOO cheap here iam thinking of going to Madrid in late May..should i not bother...

HELP.

#39087 - 04/25/04 11:35 PM Re: Madrid: Help-Should i go????
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Go!!!!!

It could also happen here. I think it is wrong to change plans unless you plan on staying at home and not traveling beyond your front door.

I am still taking kids to Spain this summer and the only change I might make is to decrease my use of the Metro.

#39088 - 04/26/04 12:32 AM Re: Madrid: Help-Should i go????
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
I understand why these types of fears of travel in Europe crop up, but I don't think they are very well founded. If you look at the risk of serious injury or death, there is nothing that I do that compares to the risk I take traveling in a car. Yet, I get behind the wheel every day. If I am willing to accept that risk every day, I will certainly not hesitate to travel in Spain.

#39089 - 04/26/04 03:13 AM Re: Madrid: Help-Should i go????
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
spike1

Well ... my 15 yr old has got himself a flight to Madrid by himself for next to nothing, from Liverpool.

I can't say I'm not worried, because I am, but ... he's going, and nothing will change his mind.

I'm excited for him laugh

Jo

#39090 - 04/26/04 11:28 AM Re: Madrid: Help-Should i go????
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
I think that because you mention that you are going the end of May it's because it's half term, so you'd be going as a family, in which case you start to feel responsible for their safety which I can fully understand.

When it's just yourself it's not so bad, but when you start to feel protective ... you wonder whether you are putting your family at risk, and even in the safest of environments you can start to feel answerable for their safety.

But if it's what you all want to do, just do it cool

Realistically aren't we are more at risk here in UK at the moment?

Jo

#39091 - 04/26/04 06:14 PM Re: Madrid: Help-Should i go????
AJ_dup1 Offline

Loc: Maryland, USA
Never let fear dictate your actions. Easier said than done I know, but you only get one life. Go for it.

Personally, Spain wasn't even on my radar of places to visit. I just decided this month to go in September. While I'm slightly worried on different levels (new country, threats, traveling alone), I don't think any of my fears outweigh living for the moment and taking opportunites when they're presented.

Maybe just ask yourself one question- Would you rather say "I regret doing that" than "I regret not doing that"?

#39092 - 04/26/04 11:40 PM Re: Madrid: Help-Should i go????
GuiaGuiri Offline

Loc: New England, USA/València, Esp...
When in doubt, GO TO SPAIN! Relax, you won't regret the decision to go.

#39093 - 04/27/04 11:57 AM Re: Madrid: Help-Should i go????
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Bombings are terrible as we all know. Their objective is causing fear in people and trying to force political changes.

But as terrible as they are, it is not objectively a high risk. Bombings may happen everywhere. Here in Madrid, in Liverpool, in London, in any US city... From that point of view there is no way to avoid it. Terrorists attack wherever they can. Besides, I'm living in Madrid, and am no more afraid to live here than before.

Second, Madrid's bombings caused 200 killed and over 2000 injured. Every year 5000 people get killed in car accidents in Spain, and much more get injured. So by the numbers it is more risky to travel by car around Spain that comming to Madrid on vacation.

I suggest you to come if you really want. You won't regret it. But if your fear will likely ruin your travel forget it and leave it for another time.

Fernando

#39094 - 04/28/04 08:23 AM Re: Madrid: Help-Should i go????
Bricamb Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
I´m in Madrid at the moment. Not much has changed since my last visit although there does appear to be more police on the streets, especially around the Sol area. I didn´t think of cancelling my travel plans because I don´t want to submit to the fear that the terrorists are doing there best to instill in people. Do come to Madrid and I hope you can still get those cheap flights.

#39095 - 05/01/04 04:26 PM Re: Madrid: Help-Should i go????
Anonymous
Unregistered

Many thanks for everyones invaluable help and advice wink laugh .

Im going to go and have a great time-i know i will cool

#39096 - 05/01/04 09:15 PM Re: Madrid: Help-Should i go????
Anonymous
Unregistered

laugh

#39097 - 05/03/04 08:12 PM Re: Madrid: Help-Should i go????
Anonymous
Unregistered

wink

#39098 - 05/03/04 09:27 PM Re: Madrid: Help-Should i go????
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
confused

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#39099 - 05/04/04 04:54 PM Re: Madrid: Help-Should i go????
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
smile :o laugh wink :p cool rolleyes eek

#39100 - 05/04/04 07:17 PM Re: Madrid: Help-Should i go????
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
:p wink

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments