Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 6 of 21 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 20 21 >
Topic Options
#38879 - 03/12/04 01:18 AM Re: MULTIPLE TRAINS BOMBED IN MADRID
Quintos233 Offline

Loc: Southern California
Spain isnt responsible for it Aznar and the Muslim terriost and other things are to blame for it not the Spanish people or per se Spain.

#38880 - 03/12/04 01:29 AM Re: MULTIPLE TRAINS BOMBED IN MADRID
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I started to write a well thought out response to Quintos until I remembered my own rule about not talking politics on the web. Suffice to say I disagree with Quintos. His logic is as faulty as his punctuation. (Are you pregnant? You seem have missed a few periods.)

#38881 - 03/12/04 03:59 AM Re: MULTIPLE TRAINS BOMBED IN MADRID
lasketchup Offline

I am also very speechles and would like to post a little something that I posted at one of my yahoo groups. Please forgive me for not having something new to say but it is the only thing I am realy able to say at the moment.

[First I would like to say how sad and upset I am after hearing about
the terrorist attack in Madrid Spain. I am very speechless and
probally will be for quit a while. I wanna send my condolences to
all the wonderful spanish people who either lost there lives,got
injured or lost a loved one. I can only hope that the horrible
people who caused this will be brought to justice. It is unfortunate
that many children and families are now suffering because of this.
Many children now left with out a parent or parents to raise them
because some people believe that hurting people is the best way to
send there message. I hope this event will bring us all closer
together as people. My heart will forever hurt for all the people
who where affected by this. I can only pray that there hearts will
eventualy heal from the pain. Blessings to all.]

I would also like to say that I agree with Wolf and I think it is a great idea to contact U.S. officials and I hope that they will listen and give as much help as possible. I have yet to go to Spain but yet I still cryed today. My eyes are still trying to water up just from thinking about everything that has happened. If anyone knows anyway(s) that I can help like volunteering or anything then please let me know. This evening before I go to bed I will make an extra special prayer for all of the victims.

I also have the universal blood type and if I was there I would also try and give blood but sadly I am so far away and feel helpless to do anything:(

#38882 - 03/12/04 04:29 AM Re: MULTIPLE TRAINS BOMBED IN MADRID
The_Keeper Offline

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
A terrible and sad day in Madrid. Hope all are well out there.

I don’t want to get into a long arguement with anyone regarding this issue as now is not the time and I don’t think this is the place.

But I will say a couple of things. To the person who called for the swift use of capital punishment, killing people is never the answer, ask the residents of NYC, Jerusalem or Bagdad if they believe terrorists are afraid to die. Whoever the perpetrators turn out to be, they should not be labelled as Basque Seperatists or radical Muslims. The vast majority of people from the Basque region of Spain, even those who want independence, are sickened by yesterday’s events. And, Islam is a religion of peace, tolerance and compassion that explicitly forbids these kind of actions. The perpetrators are simply monsters and murderers and deserve no other label.

Thirdly and finally, to the folk who mentioned they had concerns over their safety. Spain is a safe, friendly and wonderful place to visit. Remember, the main wish of these monsters is to destroy the nature of the society in which we live. If we stop travelling, meeting friends and living our lives then they will have won.

I think I may well have already said too much so will shut up now.

Best wishes to all.

Marko.

Like Books? Check out www.bookcrossing.com

#38883 - 03/12/04 05:24 AM Re: MULTIPLE TRAINS BOMBED IN MADRID
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
I'll chime in with my 25 cents worth. The following are just my own opinions. I don't intend to start an ideological battle, just provoke some thought, perhaps in some different directions.

First, no matter who did this, they are beyond the pale, and need to be brought to justice. I feel death would be too easy. They should be put to hard hard labor so every day of their miserable lives they will be reminded of their crime.

Second, although the organizers of such insanity, be they ETA, Al Quieda, Hammas, whomever, are able to recruit their followers because of some flaw: poverty, radicalized ideology, personal insanity, ancient hatreds and so forth. Some of these things, like personal insanity, we cannot do anything about. Others, like poverty, blundered or poorly thought-out post war occupation plans, we can do much, much better than we have done in the past.

Third, cultural attitudes, especially lifestyles-- and here I pointedly mean the hyper-consumerist, ecologically hostile cultures of the so-called "first world" -- are going to increase the fundamental problems in the first point I made. The cynical exploitation of both Western and non-Western peoples, but especially the latter, by corporations and their government lackies must be reversed. A way of maintaining an acceptable quality of life must be found, for everyone. If this means those now enjoying the ill-gotten fruits of this exploitation have to (for example) give up driving thier 8 cylinder Beemers to work every day for public transportation, or other "sacrifices," then I'll be the first in line to purchase a Metro monthly ticket. (Yes, I am one of the consumerist minions, but I do everything in my power to minimize the impact, like using public transportation as much as possible.) The point is that options must be put into place, and this must be of high priority.

Fourth, more resources must be put into identifying root causes and the solutions for these problems. If you really want to stop the violence, then why not make a "Department of Peace" and match its funding to the DOD?

Last, we need to identify, support and elect leaders who are statesmen (and stateswomen), who can find options to the "big stick" model of dealing with conflict, whether military or political or economic. There is a glaring lack of creativity, xenophobia and short-sigthedness in our current (non-)elected officials in the US. The world is just too large, too complex, and the threats to organized for the US to continue to play policeperson (with a few of allies) alone.

I am aware that I stand to be criticized as many things, hypocritical, egoistic (even unpatriotic), etc. for posting this. I am well aware my simplistic suggestions are not necessarily realistic, that they do not even begin to deal with all the problems, etc. etc. They are posted, as I stated, as a catalyst for thought. I hope to see a great deal of contrary points of view, much disagreement. THAT debate is an example of exactly what I am trying, in my impoverished way, to point out that we need in the larger picture.

(Please note that I don't really have anything against owners of BMWs specifically (except those who think they own the road!). I abjure Mercedes, Audis, Cadillacs, Lincon Contentals, RVs, sport utilities, and large pickup trucks (among others) also! Actually I have it in for the infernal combustion engine in general. I admit, I own a car, but use it as little as possible.)

In friendship, and debate laugh

#38884 - 03/12/04 05:45 AM Re: MULTIPLE TRAINS BOMBED IN MADRID
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
A few more words to those who are contemplating visiting (or canceling their visit) to Madrid.

PLEASE COME! If we change our lives out of fear, the terrorists win. It is exactly what they are attempting to force us to do. If we do not cower, if we stand together we give them the message: "WE ARE NOT AFRAID OF YOU!" And only those who know no fear will be able to bring the perpetrators to justice.

These attacks happen. So does cancer. Life does not come with a guarantee of safety, no matter what you do or do not do. Spain is a wonderful country, and, as you can see, the people here are wonderful too. They will take heart from your defiance of the forces of evil, and they will return your good will many times over.

We are in a world-wide battle. No one can escape it. We are all involved because these demons choose to target non-military objectives. Whether you like it or not you, and your loved ones are all combatants, it is just that the civilians do their fighting in a different (an probably more heroic) manner than those in fatigues and with assualt rifles.

¡Bienvenidos a la lucha!

#38885 - 03/12/04 06:29 AM Re: MULTIPLE TRAINS BOMBED IN MADRID
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
Quintos, you are to be ignored. I agree with others that this is not the place to start a political debate.

Today at 12noon everyone poured out into the streets of Madrid for a moment of silence.

On Gran Vía, we stood in the streets blocking any traffic. One person shouted ´Viva España,´ and the entire crowd chimed in. We had our silence, and then everyone clapped... It seems like everyone is sad and angry all at the same time, and this seems natural to me. I know that´s how I feel.

When I made my posts yesterday, I had not heard the latest on death toll and wounded. After reading many of the posts and the information in them, I went immediately to a television and watched for hours... The Fox News website has had excellent reporting too.

I am blown away with what has been reported.

Foxnews.com has some interesting articles about this event (CNN is not an option for me, since they don´t believe ETA is a terrorist group):
E-Mail: Attack on U.S. \'90 Percent Ready\'
Al-Qaeda Ties to Spain
Aznar: All Lines Open in Probe

Not really sure, but would ETA really enlist Al-Qaeda involvement? Somehow I can´t see that...

Viva España.

ps> just wanted to add this:
Atención Víctimas Atentados en Madrid

#38886 - 03/12/04 07:31 AM Re: MULTIPLE TRAINS BOMBED IN MADRID
lasketchup Offline

Madrid blast victims from 11 countries

MADRID, March 12 (Reuters ) - The nearly 200 dead from the Madrid bombs came from 11 countries including Spain, Spanish Prime Minister Jose Maria Aznar said on Friday.

"There are nationals from 11 countries," he told a news conference.

As well as the Spanish victims, there were three Peruvians, two Hondurans, two Poles, one Chilean, one Cuban, one Ecuadorean, one from Guinea Bissau, one French, one Moroccan and one Colombian, Aznar said.

At least 198 people died and 1,463 were wounded in Thursday's attacks on packed Madrid commuter trains. Investigators were trying on Friday to pin down whether Basque separatists or Muslim militants were to blame for the carnage.

Many of the wounded were also from foreign countries. Latin Americans immigrants flocked to hospitals looking for relatives on Thursday.

Aznar said immigrants caught up in the disaster would be offered Spanish citizenship.

"I have given instructions to the Interior Minister to proceed urgently with the regularisation of the situation of all the victims of the attacks and their families who may be in an irregular immigration status," he said.

03/12/04 06:03 ET

Copyright 2003 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

#38887 - 03/12/04 08:56 AM Re: MULTIPLE TRAINS BOMBED IN MADRID
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Stay tunned for today's demonstrations.

You will realize what spaniards think about terrorism.

¡Todos unidos contra el terrorismo!

Fernando

#38888 - 03/12/04 09:36 AM Re: MULTIPLE TRAINS BOMBED IN MADRID
Torero Offline

Loc: Iowa
Some of the students in my Spanish classes have asked about ways that we can help the victims in Madrid. I've checked with the local Red Cross and they had no information. Does anyone have any suggestions or information for what those of us in the US can do to help?

Viva España

Page 6 of 21 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 20 21 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments