Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#38794 - 01/17/04 02:51 PM Madrid: Mysterious airport Taxi charges
almohada Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hello,

I have twice taken taxis from the airport to central Madrid. Both times I was charged an amount higher than what was on the meter. The first time it was about 5 Euros higher. The next time 9E.

My question? Are there airport tolls or per bag charges that could explain these charges above the metered charges? Or did I have "sucker" plastered all over my face? I have lived in several places which have such charges, so I am curious.

Frankly, I was exhausted each time and could care less (both times around holidays). But I bristle at the thought of being ripped off, even if only for a few Euros. I would rather it be me deciding on whether to tip.

Cheers,
Almohada

#38795 - 01/17/04 10:55 PM Re: Madrid: Mysterious airport Taxi charges
Anonymous
Unregistered

There is an aditional charge for departing from some bus terminals and the airport terminal. But I don't think it' so much as 5€. Also, although most taxi drivers are honest, it's well known that a good number of them are not, an their prey are tourists and their favourite place to hunt the airport.

#38796 - 01/18/04 12:25 AM Re: Madrid: Mysterious airport Taxi charges
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Antonio posted something in the "Transportes" forum about a new system which will be instituted in 2004 (not sure when though) where you'll PREPAY before leaving the airport. Isn't that cool?!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#38797 - 01/18/04 08:46 AM Re: Madrid: Mysterious airport Taxi charges
almohada Offline

Thanks everyone. And MM I also read Miguelito's post, which will be really helpful going forward. ¡Ya lo imprimé!

OKAY, I lost a total of 5 Euros in two trips. Not bad for a major city. No random turns into oblivion. I'll count my blessings.

#38798 - 01/18/04 09:09 AM Re: Madrid: Mysterious airport Taxi charges
Anonymous
Unregistered

In fact, the first time you probably were not swindled, because, as I said, there is a charge from departing from the airport that doesn't use to be in the counter (at least it didn't use before, maybe with the new ones...), and I said I didn't believe it was that much as 5€,..., but I knew it could be around 3€.

Well, I made a search in the net, and in this page , they say it's 4 eros more, and it could be more, cause it's a 2003 page.

So, if you were swindled (and I think you were in the 9€ case), it wes only 4 € summing the two times.

smile

#38799 - 01/18/04 09:09 AM Re: Madrid: Mysterious airport Taxi charges
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
These are the official rates for Madrid's taxis, obtained from the Madrid's Council website:
Taxi\'s rates

Note that there is an extra toll if you take a taxi from or to the Barajas Airport (it is 4,20 €). It is really a shame, but tourists should be aware that some taxi drivers try (ilegally) to charge more than what they legally can.

If you suspect a taxi driver is charging you above the official rates, tell him you are going to call police (and do it!). He will probably leave you there for free than risking to loose his licence laugh

Fernando

#38800 - 01/18/04 01:22 PM Re: Madrid: Mysterious airport Taxi charges
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
I believe there is also a charge for each piece of baggage that the taxi-driver handles. A bit extortionate if you ask me, but there again a normal taxi ride within the city is normally quite good value. I have found that if you flag down a taxi in Madrid, generally you get a cheap ride. It's the taxis parked up in a rank who tend to fleece you...
Although it's more awkward, I always try and take the Metro from the airport. Okay it takes some time, and delays your first view of the city, but you save a fortune. I understand there will be a train link built to the airport in the next 5 years.

#38801 - 01/18/04 01:47 PM Re: Madrid: Mysterious airport Taxi charges
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Filbert, they aren't bag charges anylonger in Madrid. I think it was two years ago when they removed it from the official taxi fares.

Madridman, the new prepay system won't be available until June 2004 (or so they say).

#38802 - 01/18/04 02:47 PM Re: Madrid: Mysterious airport Taxi charges
Castiza Offline

All aditional charges, as well as the official fares, are written on the sticker that is located on both windows at the back seat. It's written in Spanish and also in ENGLISH.

So just read it and refuse to pay any extra charge that is not detailed in the sticker.

#38803 - 01/20/04 04:44 PM Re: Madrid: Mysterious airport Taxi charges
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
There are plenty of leaflets with information about how to get from the airport to the city centre by taxi / subway / bus. They have the approximate fares to the most common destinations in the city centre.

Oddly enough, nobody seems to take and read those leaflets. You can get it at T1 (international flights).

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments