Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#38676 - 05/16/04 03:59 AM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
MedicalMan Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Me and my family moved to a suburb of Madrid(Majadahonda) 1 month ago from Virginia. We found us an absolutly beautiful chalet for a great price. My wife was at a gardenshop(Jardiland) buying flowers for the yard and someone tried to steal our car in the parking lot. They drilled out the drivers side door lock and drilled out the ignition but could not start my American Model VW becasue it has a passive safety feature which cuts the fuel supply off(So they could not start it). The Guardia Civil were wonderful, but nothing they could realy do. I have to order a new Ignition cylinder to fit my key from Germany and it takes 6-8 weeks to manufacture. So me and my family are having to rent a car(at $300 a week) until we get our car fixed. It has left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth but I guess if I put it into context, there is not much Violent crime here(as opposed to the US) but there is a lot of Thieves here.

#38677 - 05/16/04 08:30 AM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Having lived in a large city in the States (Philadelphia), I have to say that the crime here in Madrid is no worse. Keep in mind that Madrid is Spain´s largest city and Capital. With a population of nearly 4 million in the city alone and 7 million in the entire autonomous community (including areas such as Majadahonda and including an estimate of those who are living here unregistered...empadronado), one has to expect crime....just as in any large city.

I used to live in a residential area of Philadelphia city (near St. Joseph´s University for those who know the area) and a friend´s car was stolen from in front of my house. My car had been broken into at least 3 times in the city and one day I awoke to find a bullet hole in the trunk of my car. eek

Here in Madrid, my car has been broken into and rendered useless as someone used it for their hotwiring experiment and failed miserably. However, for as much as I ride public transportation...at all hours of the day and night... I have yet to be pickpocketed.

I really don´t think that blowing the crime issue out of proportion is helpful. What is helpful is knowing that if you are not accostumed to big city environments, there are a few things you can do to keep your pickpocketing risk low:

1. be aware of your surroundings, particularly if someone is standing "too close for comfort". If you are on a jam packed metro, you won´t be able to move away, but at least be more aware of your belongings.

2. Know where you are going. Avoid "looking lost". If you have to consult a map (and believe me, I have lived here for 3 years and still do), try to do so from the safety of a bar while having coffee.

3. Carry only the absolute necessary on you in forms of documentation. Don´t carry the original of your passport. Carry a photocopy. Leave the original in your hotel safebox. Use your drivers´ license or other easily replaced document for a photo id.

4. When at internet cafés and bars/restaurants, do not leave your bags on the chair next to you, on the floor, or hanging on the back of your chair. Keep them on your lap if possible. If not, situate yourself and your belongings so that it would be next to impossible for someone to casually walk by and grab your bag.

5. Use your common sense. If you are uncomfortable with an area, avoid it. Stick to large well-lit streets at night if you aren´t familiar with the area. Stick to where there are crowds or populated streets.

6. Lastly, be aware but not paranoid. Nothing can ruin a trip faster than constantly being afraid of being robbed.

Violent crime risk here is very very low compared to the US.

Come and enjoy yourselves! smile

#38678 - 07/03/04 05:17 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
ESPAÑOL20 Offline

"Violent crime risk here is very very low compared to the US."

It will take 10 or 15 years more for Spain to get a crime level like that in the US. The several millions of nonSpaniards living in Spain (moroccoans, ecuatorians, columbians, romanians, and so on) will take care of that. Thanks to one of the most stupid "invents" nowadays: multiculturalism. 90% of delinquents, thieves, rapers,... in Spain are NON-ETHNIC-SPANIARDS.

#38679 - 07/03/04 06:51 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Are you confusing immigration with multiculturalism? These are two different concepts.

I am interested to find out where you got your data that 90% of evildoers are immigrants? Certainly not from the Spanish government. Or at least it is not in the data they send to Interpol.

#38680 - 07/07/04 01:43 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
Imajica1975 Offline

Loc: Cincinnati Ohio
Although I haven't been to Spain yet, I have to believe that crime is far worse here in the U.S.

A friend of mine just got back to the U.S. from Europe and he said right when he got off of the airport here, he could feel the tension. You don't notice it when you are here all the time, but to hear him tell it, it is there and far worse than almost any place in Western Europe.

My guess would be that if you grew up in any major city in the U.S. and weren't completely sheltered, you should be aptly prepared to handle any potential pickpocketers.

I think that all the great advice given here applies almost anywhere in the world. Be smart and don't stick out like a sore thumb, I guess.

#38681 - 07/07/04 03:11 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Imajica writes:
Quote:
Although I haven't been to Spain yet, I have to believe that crime is far worse here in the U.S.
Violent crime may be worse in U.S. cities but pickpockets and petty thievery in places like Barcelona and Rome may make you change your mind.
Quote:
My guess would be that if you grew up in any major city in the U.S. and weren't completely sheltered, you should be aptly prepared to handle any potential pickpocketers.
Keep that good thought! I was born and raised in NYC and I had never encountered pickpockets with the finesse of those you may find in Barcelona. I have seen 'snatch & grab' thieves in action on MetroMadrid like I never saw on the NY Subways.

In Spain, Pickpockets follow the crowds, whether they be Pilgrims in Santiago de Compostela, the SanFermines in Pamplona.

Good luck!

#38682 - 08/07/04 01:04 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
MedicalMan Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I live and work in Madrid, and always "Field Strip" my wallett prior to going downtown or rideing the Metro. The pickpockets here are so good, that they can distract you, unbutton or unvelcro a pocket and be gone with your wallett before you even notice. A friend of mine just had his wallett lifted at the Princi-Pio train station the other week, never seen it comin. Best advice.....take only a credit card, ID and some cash with you downtown, at least you won't lose everything if you get "Picked".

#38683 - 08/15/04 10:49 AM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
iffy Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I consider myself a 'seasoned' traveler in Madrid(been there 4 times before) but when I traveled with my disabled husband I was very disappointed in our experience.
The cab from the airport ripped us off, handing us what looked like an 'official' form, just like they give you in NYC, when we got in. Except this one was totally fake and they charged us 80 Euros set fee.
In the Puerta del Sol, someone tried to pick pocket my back pack but a man warned me. Yes, yes, I know I shouldn't have been carrying it, but dealing with my husband and all that stuff didn't leave me with any choices.
Then, this is the worse, someone knocked over my husband and several men rushed to "help" pick him up. By this time I was savvy enough to push them all aside, get him up and jump in a cab.
But it was sad to me that the city of Madrid does not do more to protect travellers as well as their own citizens. I'd love to write to them: Any one know how to do this?

#38684 - 08/28/04 02:02 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
kalikiana Offline

How does one "field strip" their wallet?

This may be a stupid question, but I know everyone speaks of carrying photo identification on them. Why is that? I know the only reason I ever worry about having photo ID on me in the states is for driving or going out to a bar. Is it needed for something else in Spain? confused

#38685 - 08/28/04 10:41 PM Re: Madrid pickpockets again!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Using your credit cards, at shops, for instance.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments