Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#38632 - 07/15/03 01:54 PM Pickpocketing
AnnK Offline

Loc: Berkeley, CA
We've visited Spain twice and had a pickpocket attempt each time. Never had one anywhere else. Neither was violent or successful, and I don't feel "threatened" or paranoid.

Here are the details, for those who care.

First time we were, alas, leaving Madrid (but for Granada, yum). We got on the metro with full packs. Small dark man waved me on first. Well, that's nice, since that way I could get my pack against a wall and be less prone to swinging it into people. Then he got on. Then Mike and another small dark man got on--and the man accidentally scuffed dust onto the ankle of Mike's pants. He crouched in the open metro door to dust off Mike's pants, with Mike saying "no, no, no problem, don't bother". After a minute Mike felt a sharp pinch in his front pocket where he keeps his wallet. The first guy was trying to coax the wallet out, with the inconvenience of a rather friction-y wallet and the backpack's bulk in the way. Mike yelled, they took off out the open door, we stayed on. Mike was upset at the fact that these guys "won" in the sense that there was no cost to them.

Second time was in Puerto del Sol, during the Gay Pride parade, June 28, 2003. It was very crowded. Somebody grabbed his ankle. Mike thought "I've seen this before" and pushed the guy at his ankle and grabbed at the hand in his back pocket, which was easing out Mike's passport. Once again, the pair got away, but with nothing.

Next day Mike went with a friend to El Rastro. He took a hotel card and some cash in a front pocket: no wallet, no ID, nothing. I said if Anything Happened, the police would call the small hotel (Hostal Jaén) and the charming proprieters would help straighten things out. If I'd been thinking, I'd have suggested taking the photocopy of his passport for ID. But of course nothing happened.

So--if anyone grabs your ankle, for any reason, be alert. Maybe someday we will have the mustard trick or something more elaborate pulled on us.

Based on very few data points, I think women with men get targetted less than men. Maybe we don't usually carry wallets (although I do) on our bodies. Maybe they have rummaged through my daypack/purse and found only pens, maps, and kleenex, so I've never known. Maybe that's why I couldn't find that map/pen/scrap of paper later! Maybe women go on high alert more when strange men grab any part of the woman.

#38633 - 07/15/03 05:48 PM Re: Pickpocketing
eduardo Offline

Loc: Madrid
I know of someone else who was at the Rastro market and had the grabbing the ankles tactic used on him. He lost his balance and had to pull his hands out of his pockets in order to avoid falling. Unfortunately for him, the culprits were able to get his wallet and escape. This seems to be a new scheme that the thieves are using. Stay alert!

#38634 - 07/15/03 10:51 PM Re: Pickpocketing
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Well, some of us women are saavy and some of us aren't. rolleyes
Saavy gals carry little that can be stolen, or stuff that can easily be replaced if stolen. We hide our loot in places like our bras, hidden pockets, etc.

Then there's gals like my elderly aunt who takes out her wallet out of her capacious handbag, stuffed with Euros and credit cards, in the middle of the busiest Corte Inglés in Madrid and is so involved with looking at the pretties in the counter that she forgets to be saavy and does not even know that her wallet is being lifted from her handbag right in front of her eyes. She paid many euros for her inattentiveness. La Pobrecita! frown

Madrid is a very safe city, but you do have to be attentive of your surroundings if you do not want to be a mark for a pickpocket.

#38635 - 07/18/03 07:56 AM Re: Pickpocketing
liz49 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
The story described by AnnK is exactly what happened to my husband this summer in Madrid. We were on the sidewalk in front of some street merchants right in front of the train station at Atocha and some guy started fussing with my husband's pants down around his ankle. Being very quick-thinking, my husband immediately put his hand in his front pocket where his wallet was, only to find the hand of someone else trying to lift his wallet! He started yelling at them (in English--his Spanish isn't that good) and pushed the guy at his feet away. This was enough to startle them and they moved away. I think the moral is that if someone is fussing with your pants you should immediately see what's going on in your pockets smile All in all, he wasn't too rattled by this and there was no real harm done.

#38636 - 07/18/03 05:17 PM Re: Pickpocketing
eduardo Offline

Loc: Madrid
Those of you who follow this board may remember that I was the victim of a violent attack in March .

Obviously there's no cause and effect here, but I'm pleased to see that there is a visible (and increased?) police presence on the streets, especially in tourist areas. I believe the new mayor and others made it one of their campaign promises to try to increase the levels of foot patrols (probably the best deterrent) in busy areas. The need was driven home especially when a female Greek tourist was knifed to death by a mugger recently when she and her husband were accosted right near the Cortes. Since tourism is still the number one industry in Spain, the authorities are waking up to the need to protect those who feed into that industry.

#38637 - 07/23/03 11:02 AM Re: Pickpocketing
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
I have for many years been using a very wearable, lightweight nylon money belt compartmented and zippered for keys, passport and cash. It fits either just below my belt under my pants , or a bit higher under my shirt. I keep a small amount of cash more easily accessible in a pants pocket.

I just looked for a label so I could recommend it, but didn't find one. I've never lost anything while using it.

My larger point is to ask if anyone has worn such a belt and ever had it defeated by a pickpocket or in any other way.

#38638 - 07/29/03 08:22 AM Re: Pickpocketing
10b Offline

Loc: London
Hi,
Just thought I'd chip in with a pickpocket story- just to re iterate that it happened to me in Madrid and no where else. It was my first time inMadrid in June, and I went for an interview for a job which I got. On the day we left, my girlfriend and I got on the metro at Sol, with all our bags etc ready for our flight. As the doors opened, 2 guys made a real point of pushing on before us - and then stood right in the doorway so we had to push them to get on. At first i though they dint want us to get on, but then I noticed as I got on and the doors closed that one was staring at me - really looking into my eyes hard - and the other was doing the same to my girlfriend. - I then noticed that they both had sweaters over their left arm and hand - then of course it hit me and immdediately I stared straight back at him and shook my head slowly so he knew what I was thinking. He then looked at his mate and moved up the carriage and did the same to some oher travellers. To no avail - he signalled to his pal who was still standing a few inches away from my girlfriend and they both jumped off the train at the next station and were gone.
It did put a little shadow on an otherwise fantastic trip - but it didnt spoil things enough and I'm pleased to say I'm moving out there in Sep to start work.
Anyway - be aware and just make it known that YOU know wat they're up to - if you get the chance!
Dave

#38639 - 08/12/03 09:59 PM Re: Pickpocketing
GuiaGuiri Offline

Loc: New England, USA/València, Esp...
here's a couple of approaches to be aware of:
A woman with a fist full of wilted red carnations approached me and a lady friend walking in a crowded plaza at midday. My first hint of something amiss was the wild look in her eyes - she looked like she wanted me to revive the dead flowers or something - then I noticed her male accomplice standing nearby to one side, almost out of line of sight. I grabbed my friend's arm and took a defensive attitude - they evaporated very quickly.
On another occasion, while standing among a very packed midday festival crowd (I was alone, and way over-dressed this time), a woman standing next to me suddenly began trying to chat everyone up very loudly, with "catchy" phrases in several languages. Everyone else gave her the hairy eyeball, and I decided to ignore her too. Then I noticed a hand in my pocket, hers. I grabbed it very roughly, she squealed in pain, and loudly accused me of stealing from her my own sony handicam that I had around my own neck. When I noticed her male accomlice approach I let her go to face him, but they high-tailed it.
In both instances, the perps seemed rank amateurs, but they were certainly game to try.
They also looked like they would snap like a used match, and when confronted they bolted. I think the trick is to be alert, and if you are still targeted, be frontal, unless you are clearly threatened with violence.
(In both cases, I recorded descriptions and made excellent drawings of the faces, and in the second instance I took a clear foto, all of which the local police seemed to appreciate. I did not follow up in any case...)

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2561 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments