Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#38581 - 05/19/03 09:16 AM Madrid:Too paranoid now!!!
equinepro Offline

Loc: Boulder, CO
Well, I love this website for all of the information and the great people, but am starting to hate it for making me ultra paranoid that I will get mugged while I am in Madrid this week. I have been planning a ten-day vacation to Madrid, which commences on May 22, but my excitement has now dwindled to anxiety. I guess I feel like I will be targeted as a victim, as I have very nice clothes, etc. I almost feel like I have to go buy cheap crap just to be safe. Is crime realy that bad in Madrid? I am staying on the Gran Via and wanted to go to the bars at night and have fun, but I have a feeling I will spend the evenings indoors to avoid some vagrant trying to rob me. I travel often and am very smart about not carrying a wallet, etc. I have read numerous posts this morning that were from people who were also "travel-smart", but were still victims. Any encouragement would be appreciated! smile

#38582 - 05/19/03 11:12 AM Re: Madrid:Too paranoid now!!!
princess Offline

Loc: usa
Well if you're well traveled than don't worry about it you should know that crime is everywhere and if you are going to freak out about Madrid then maybe you should board yourself up in the house now! Just kidding, but just take the usual precautions and keep your eyes open at night. Have fun and not FEAR! cool

#38583 - 05/19/03 11:16 AM Re: Madrid:Too paranoid now!!!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Are you going to let the criminals ruin your trip?

I'm a local, I'm 25 years-old and I've lived all my life in Madrid. I have been in the Gran Vía-Sol area until 6 o'clock in the morning from time to time... And I have never been mugged or pickpocketed in Madrid, nor in the rest of Spain.

As a tourist you must know that the risk of being mugged is a little higher (as in any other city of the world), but that doesn't mean that you are going to be automaticly robbed in Madrid and that criminals are waiting for you to arrive at Madrid's airport to ruin your trip wink

Have an look at your properties and have fun. And if you still are picpocketed or anything else go to police and they will help you. And never let it ruin your trip.

Madrid is in general safer than the average US cities, and certainly the crimes are not as violent. Take the same care as if you went to make tourism to any other city of your country.

And let know us all how the trip was! Have fun!

Fernando

#38584 - 05/19/03 12:22 PM Re: Madrid:Too paranoid now!!!
equinepro Offline

Loc: Boulder, CO
Thanks to both of you for the positive reinforcement. I do feel a little silly about being so concerned with it and certainly do not think poorly of Madrid as a result. Crime, unfortunately, does happen just about everywhere you go. Reading recent postings from people who were victims in Madrid made the situation seem worse. I will try not to let it affect my trip! smile

#38585 - 05/19/03 12:36 PM Re: Madrid:Too paranoid now!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I must admit that I too was a little more concerned than previous years when I arrived in Madrid last month for my annual visit. I'd read all the horror stories and was a bit nervous my first few days. As time wore on and the more and more I walked the streets alone, I gained some confidence. There I am, wearing jeans, tennis shoes, backpack on my back along with my camera bag over my neck/shoulder. TOURIST? YES! That's me. Looking totally UNSpanish. Nothing at all happened to me. In fact, very few if ANY one begged money from me either. I've heard stories from seasoned travelers having recently been pick-pocketed in Madrid/BCN and so I was on-guard, practically READY for "my turn". But nothing! Not a thing! No one approached me. No one claimed to be a plain-clothes policeman warning me of counterfeit bills floating around and asking to see my wallet. In fact, no gypsies approached me jamming weeds in my palm either. What's wrong with me??!!

So enjoy yourself, take all the usual precautions, and you'll most likely be fine.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#38586 - 05/19/03 12:45 PM Re: Madrid:Too paranoid now!!!
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
equinepro, if you feel uncomfortable at any point, step into a shop or restaurant to regain your composure and take a better look at your surroundings. Being aware and careful is your best protection.

The likelihood of having any problems is REALLY low (yes, there are horror stories on the board, but remember, nobody--except MadridMan--posts "I walked down the street today and NOTHING HAPPENED" messages!). I've been to Spain many times and have never encountered any problems at all. I behave like I would behave in NYC or London--walking with a bit of "attitude" and a sense of where I am going (even if I don't really know), keeping my bag tucked close to my body and watching the people around me. Believe me, if you do this, you'll be a much less attractive target than the people standing on the street corners with big maps, unzipped bags, and clueless looks on their faces.

Have a great time!

#38587 - 05/19/03 01:06 PM Re: Madrid:Too paranoid now!!!
el viajero Offline

Take the same precautions you would in any large city and you'll probably be fine. Don't carry more money / cards / ID than you have to at any time. Walk purposefully even if you're lost. Keep a good grip on your mobile phone when using it in public. Avoid exploring unfamiliar dark alleys at night. The usual stuff.

If you're wearing slacks/jeans/trousers, it sometimes discourages pickpockets if you wear your shirt on the outside, covering your front pocket.

And whenever I travel abroad, I keep keep photocopies of my passport and the customer service phone numbers for my credit cards and ATM card back at the hotel, just in case.

Now relax and focus on planning out all the fun and marvelous things you'll be doing in the city that REALLY never sleeps!

#38588 - 05/19/03 03:01 PM Re: Madrid:Too paranoid now!!!
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
Madrid is not as safe as two years ago but it is still quite safe. IMO the trick lies in what areas do you visit. For example many of the streets up Gran Via are to be avoid. Get a map and find out were the safest districts are.

Andrés

#38589 - 05/19/03 04:31 PM Re: Madrid:Too paranoid now!!!
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
I totally agree with all the previous posters but disagree with MMan a little bit; (c'mon, you are MadridMan!, you're about 75% Ohioan, and 25% madrileño by now, you need not be scared for being too "guiri'. wink laugh )
All I have to say is that I live in the center, walk past Plaza Sta. Ana and Puerta del Sol most days, etc….and I've only had my wallet stolen; and my wallet, sunglasses, and something else I can't remember, taken out of my purse, once; both times without me noticing anything, this happened about 5 or 7 years ago, that's it!
So far, nowhere here you'll find the big banners reading: BEWARE OF PICKPOCKETERS! in every language, like you do in downtown Amsterdam. eek

#38590 - 05/19/03 08:00 PM Re: Madrid:Too paranoid now!!!
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Equinepro, I don't think it is any worse in Spain than it is anywhere else in Europe...and I dare say it is probably safer than any big city in the US. I would not be as likely to take the subway in New York or Chicago as I would in Madrid, for example. The biggest problem most tourists have is they are disoriented. They are intimidated because they can't function in Spanish as well as they do in their native language, and they don't know their way around. Take the precautions suggested in multiple threads on this site, remember that you are in a very large city with millions of people...a VERY small percentage of which are criminals(petty or otherwise), relax and have fun!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments